Bluestone 42?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Guy Gardener, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2708572/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

British soldiers in Afghanistan taking care of IEDs and their comical hijinks therein.

I'm not positive it's funny enough to be comedy or dramatic enough to be a drama, although it's not awful but I'm really not sure why I'm continuing to watch Bluestone 42, but maybe because it seems like it should be funny and it's going to be funny eventually even though it's yet to be funny and...

It's got Kelly from the last few seasons of Hustle... That has to count for something?

2. stoneroses

stoneroses Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I saw episode one and found it a bit boring and hammy

3. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Watched the three so far. Reasonably entertaining, but doesn't go far enough as either as a comedy or a drama as noted. Third was certainly closer to a coemdy and arguably the best of the three.

Interestingly, they DO pay attention to military doctrine when they have to and take the action parts fairly seriously, or at least try to. This is not a Zucker-Abrams kind of military parody. When a character has an IED go off next to him, the others in the team react in apparently genuine tactics, going to defensive positions and calling in the explosion right away. Even afterwards when the character is confirmed alive, one of the others looks away from his position and another one smacks him on the head, to get him back on lookout. I found that very interesting to see in this sort of show.

That, and for some reason I can only think of a slightly tamer Ace Rimmer when watching the male lead. Am I right?

Mark

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was thinking that if you stuck the Corporal and Milsy (the 2IC) in a tent together overnight, then nine months later, their baby would be regular Smeghead Arnold Rimmer.

Which sounds a little like Rimmer playing Risk.