Less Lens Flares?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Gojira, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

This is actually a serious question. First, let me state that the lens flares in Trek 09 didn't bother me. They don't bother me in any of the other movies JJ has done.

But these trailers seem to indicate that there are less lens flares. Anyone else see that? Or see fewer lens flares?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  2. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Looks like there's a few less - I think the jokes been so beaten into the ground he had to reign it in a bit - but I was okay with them too. It's a part of the design aesthetic of his Trek movies.

3. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It does seem there's less of them. But the film is still in post production so more might be added.:p
    I have no problem with them.

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Fewer. There are fewer lens flares.

5. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This might be partly due to JJ Abrams realizing he went overboard with them in the first film (he's said as much), along with the technical difficulties they cause for 3D.

6. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ha ha! That's a writing pet peeve of mine, but I held back the urge to say anything (until you broke the ice).

Nothing against you, Gojira. :bolian:

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, there are going to be fewer lights and therefore fewer lens flares when you go, you know, into darkness...;)

8. Gojira

Ah, Grammar nazis. Gotta love'em. :bolian:

9. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Fewer real lens flares in this one as they shoot 2D and convert to 3D, and lens flares are a pain in the ass to convert to 3D.

10. Gojira

None taken. I was so mindful or proper grammer when in graduate school and now sometimes I just make mistakes. :)

11. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Did people really make such a big deal about "less vs. fewer" before this came along?

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGWiTvYZR_w[/yt]

'Cause I sure don't remember it.

12. Matt S

Matt S Lieutenant Red Shirt

I loved the lens flare(s); bring em on!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Dang it, that's what I was going to say!

Lens Flares don't really bug me, and I honestly didn't even notice them that much when I saw the movie. I did notice in Super 8 though, but probably just because of all the bitching I'd read. Still didn't really bug me.

14. Draculasaurus

Draculasaurus Commander Red Shirt

The lens flare only bugs me on the bridge.
    It's supposed to be a well designed workspace where blinding beams of light are not a problem.
    It took me out of the story a little.
    I don't mind it anywhere else though.

[​IMG]

15. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Trek XI really took the lens flares too far, though the parody they did on Doctor Who was brilliant. But, yeah, the trailer seems to have less lens flares than the XI trailer did, and hopefully the movie follows suit.

16. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, the bridge was only problm with them too, all the lens flare in that stark white set blinded me and I couldn't appreciate the scenes on the bridge, because I couldn't see anything. The lens flares in the bar were no poblem at all, and the lensflare on the ship wasn't bad as long as it wasn't against all white background.

17. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Most of the lens flares in the last film were added live on the set, save for the ones in the "exterior" (space) shots

18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The thing about the bar was it wasn't very brightly lit, and the scene took place at night. There shouldn't be much opportunity for lens flare. And yet we had lens flares somehow going off every ten seconds.

19. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Star Trek 09 had a ton of problems, but as amusing as the lens flare jokes are it's just a graphical issue. Graphics enhance a film, they don't define it so the flares aren't what caused 09 to be a facepalm plot wise.

If that's what JJ thinks the future looks like, fine. In the 60's we thought brightly colored boxy consoles with huge levers and knobs was so cool looking and futuristic. It's just how it goes.