Brad Bird all but confirmed as "Mission: Impossible IV" director

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by JacksonArcher, Apr 9, 2010.

1. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Mission: Impossible - Episode IV: A New Mission.

I'm glad Simon Pegg is returning. He was awesome in the last one.

2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Rhames is always fun to have around, and Pegg is a welcome addition to anything he's in, so those are both good choices. And it's nice to know Cruise is being brought back for at least one more--like it or not, as far as the movie series goes, he's it.

And Renner deserves to be in more and better films, or in the very least, blockbusters that have a higher profile than, say, S.W.A.T.

3. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

:wtf: Any idea what the rumored alternate title(s) may be?

I can't see a reason to not call it MI:IV-insert subtitle if necessary here.

Granted all Bond movies don't contain Bond nor do Jack Ryan adventures, but all Bourne ones do so far and the jury is out on another Salt(its 50/50 for a sequel right now).
    The MI films just work simply being numerical. I hope this rumor is unfounded.

4. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

It's going to be called Mission: Unpossible

5. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hopefully they'll pass the torch over to Renner. Cruise needs another juicy role like his character from Magnolia!

6. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not interested in a 4th Mission Impossible movie, especially not with JJ Abrams involved. Both Woo's and De Palma's attempt weren't great to begin with, but Abrams really managed to bastardize the entire concept. In addition to John Woo's action frenzy, IMF was not a faceless organization anymore (including many, many scenes in a shiny headquarter), the agent had a family, etc... . Basically it was the movie version of Alias (it even had a nutty lab technician coming up with gadgets for Sydney, err, Hunt). And again the bad guy gets beaten in a fist fight. Yawn. That's what Mission: Impossible was all about. They only good thing about this movie was the sequence in which they sneak into the Vatican, while the rest was extremely awful.

Yet in the writer strike it seemed a director could not do any changes at all.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  7. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Didn't we see IMF's shiny headquarters as part of the CIA in the first movie? How is the depiction of the organization in the third movie any different than that?

8. JacksonArcher

Looks like The Hurt Locker proved he can be a verifiable leading actor in a blockbuster again. First he's Hawkeye in The Avengers and now he's snagged a role in Mission: Impossible IV. This should definitely re-solidify him as a leading man. That and his upcoming role in The Town.

9. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

MI is the most interesting film franchise in that there has so far been no inter movie continuity at all. The only constants, as said above, have been Tom Cruise and Ving Rhames' characters (any word on if the latter is coming back?). The directors, cast, and production staff are different on every film!

I hope Rhames and Monaghan come back.

10. JacksonArcher

^Ving Rhames is coming back. So is Simon Pegg.

11. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Good. Glad they haven't forgotten about Ving Rhames. He's the only link, besides Cruise, to the first film. Glad Pegg is returning, too. Maybe there are some others still to be announced? JJ is still on as producer, so you never know.

12. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

This wouldn't happen, but you know what could fix the issue of the first film's villain that upset a lot of Mission Impossible fans? Have Jeremy Renner play Jim Phelps, Jr. He's under the shadow of the fact that his father (and stepmother who was younger than him) were traitors. And if he takes over the franchise, the names of his team members can be Rollin Hand, Willy Armitage and Barney Collier. Thus the "character continuity" of the TV series is preserved. :)

Also, random rumor of the day: Kristin Kreuk is auditioning for one of the IMF team members.

13. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Paula Patton (Deja Vu, Precious) has beat out Kristen Kreuk and Lauren German for the female lead in this movie.

14. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

15. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

The trailer felt pretty generic, and I hated the rap song in the middle of it, luckily they ended on the MI theme instead.

I think the problem I have with it is that it looks action packed(and likely is) while I would prefer less action and more IMF trickery.

I have hope that Brad Bird will deliver something better written and more true to the old show than the movies have done so far, but judging from the trailer that might not be the case.

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Naturally the trailer is going to emphasize the big action stuff to lure in the audience. That doesn't mean there won't be more caper/sting stuff in the movie. Those parts would be less visual, more involved, and wouldn't play as well in the trailer. So you can't assume the trailer is representative.

17. Admiral_Young

Christopher is correct. The first trailer here is obviously meant to both tease and grab your attention with action cuts and a tease of the plot which this trailer did. I had no problem with the Eminem song but then I'm a fan.

18. Admiral_Young

19. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Looking forward to this!!

Wish Ving Rhames would've come back also.

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Hmm... that trailer makes me worry about the fate of Ving Rhames's character. According to IMDb and Wikipedia, he is in the film -- but maybe not the whole film, judging from what we saw here.