Spoilers DTI: Watching the Clock by C. L. Bennett Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Thrawn, Apr 18, 2011.

?

Rate DTI: Watching The Clock

1. Outstanding

100 vote(s)
    59.5%
  2. Above Average

44 vote(s)
    26.2%
  3. Average

14 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Below Average

3 vote(s)
    1.8%
  5. Poor

7 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Re: Star Trek: DTI: Watching The Clock Review Thread

Yes, that's what I'm just about to get started on.

2. TerraUnam

TerraUnam Commander Red Shirt

Cool. Say, looking at the poll results in this thread must be great for your ego. Between and selling your original novel concept, you seem to be enjoying some professional success. Congratulations.

And I eagerly await Only Superhuman. :)

3. Freman

Freman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sweet. Looking forward to it. :)

Is it going to be movie era, or during the original series?

4. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If CBS/Paramount were to ever do a miniseries for tv based on Trek, make it this. Please God, let is be Watching The Clock!!

This was just amazing! I very much love how you, despite all the huge events taking place, kept focusing on characters, making sure they were not sacrifised as happens so often.

I'm not one for long, intens reviews, I just want to say this one of the best Trek novels I've read, keeping me entertained and intriguid. Like a good novel should. :)

The only thing that was a bit of a struggle at times was the technobabble explaining the workings of timetravel. But other then that, no complaints! :D

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder if Jack Blessing and James Jansen have read this. I think they would enjoy it. :)

It would be a criminal sin to have an audiobook of this and NOT have those two read it!

6. Thor Damar

Thor Damar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thor Damar, God of thunder and monologue..

I know that I'm chronologically behind everyone else here with regards to reading this fine book but since time travel is (thankfully) not an option, I shall take my chance to express my appreciation for this wonderful work.

The first thing that I found most enjoyable is the humour in particular Dulmur's reaction to certain...ceremonial activities taking place on Risa and the Bacco's interaction. Nicely integrated into the story and smoothy done.

Was I the only one who was quite moved by Lucsly speech at the epilogue? It may sound odd but the idea of the forgotten faceless bureaucrats actually saving the day is quite inspiring to me. (Yes, I work in local government;)) Plus there was the DTI Directors monologue about defending their timelines againist outside forces.

Ah, the Cardassians. It is quite scary to think that the Obsidian Order was in charge of any temporal investigations within the Union, just imagine the KGB with a Tardis.
    It is interesting to note that both aegis agents were Cardassian...

Unfortunately, I'm not much of a writer so I'll have to come back to this later. There will be plenty of time after all.

Thanks for the excellent read:bolian:

7. Christopher

Glad you liked them.

They were Cardassian for the same reason Gary Seven was human and the Aegis agent in Assignment: Eternity was Romulan -- because their assignment was to watch over that particular species. There aren't any Federation-race Aegis operatives in the 24th century because the Federation is mature enough not to need Aegis oversight. So the Aegis agents in WTC had to be from some neighboring power, and Cardassia seemed the one most in need of the Aegis's, err, aegis.

8. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

That prompts an interesting question. The only reason ever given for the Aegis carrying out their generations-long training program was to produce agents. Once a particular species no longer has a need for Aegis help, what do they do with all those people? I can imagine any number of possibilities, which I actually spitballed right here before remembering that they could be construed as story ideas.

9. Christopher

They put on a really big production number!

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

If a DTI operative gets punched in the face while carrying out their duties, can they say they have been...clocked? :lol:

11. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Are they hunted down and killed for their operational knowledge of the grid? If it's an idea Chris can use, do you really think anyone is going to remember this post?

12. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Only if they want their next performance evaluation report to contain demerits for "making time-related jokes". :p On the other hand, maybe the slang in that one is obscure or idiomatic enough that they haven't heard it too often!

13. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Well, that doesn't really sound like the Aegis' style. And I was thinking specifically about the ones who hadn't been deployed, so they wouldn't really be "hunted," per se.

It's happened before. Within the last couple weeks in this very forum, in fact. The line between what is an isn't a "story idea" can be pretty vague, so I decided to err on the side of caution.

14. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Yes well 'used' and 'hunted' as it were. And btw, I've already told everybody to send all their time travel stories to Christopher, so he'll be too busy to look at anybody else's material or ideas let alone steal them. Though I know he's capable of doing five billion computations in his head all while playing a game of ping pong.

15. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

do I read this before DTI:WTC or after? all so chris you're typhon pact novela is now up for pre-order on the nook.

16. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't understand what you're asking. This is the thread for DTI: WTC. What are you asking if you should read before or after it?

17. Christopher

Ahh, it's a recursive temporal loop! Manheim's at it again!

18. timothy

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

I am sorry, I ment should I read IFM before this or after.my bad.

19. Christopher

There's no connection between Watching the Clock and Indistinguishable from Magic. You can read them in either order.

20. timothy

that's cool I am all most done with the typhon pact and I am loving it. I can't wait till you're novella comes out later this year.