Sell me on Kes.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Plomeek Broth, Feb 20, 2014.

1. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The dig was at Hollywood, itself and not at Jennifer Lien for being in it. I have nothing but praise for Jennifer - and Kes - which I would like, very much, to get back to ...

2. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

She was also young and desperate enough to just cling to the one person offering her a life other than slavery. And we learn in Elogium she only really has sexual urges once in her lifetime. One could possibly surmise even that Ocampans are only heterosexual during Elogium and aesexual for the rest of their lives, and that Kes uses her sexuality as a way to bond with aliens she feels spiritually close to and who do not have such biological characteristics.

But you are correct that the show itself gives us no reason to come to such conclusions. :cool:

There is a difference between finding something harmless morally wrong and using that belief as a justification to bully or verbally attack people you don't agree with on the internet.

3. 2takesfrakes

... HA!!! :lol:

4. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Well, the ship depends on artificial gravity all the time, really. It doesn't have to be zero-G, just light enough to make gymnastics more fun and longer lasting. I guess some magnets in bands could be used to help prevent premature separation during any docking maneuvers.

5. 2takesfrakes

...Agreed!!! An interesting post about Kes, as well.

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh oh right, DUH I got mixed up with artificial gravity and zero G :lol:

And yes true, let's just adjust the gravity in our quarters tonight, do a little experimentation..

7. Gov Kodos

So, the intolerant should be allowed to go about their business unchallenged? Tolerate the intolerant or you are intolerant?

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

That sums it up.

I heard something on the Daily Show this morning about Shops in some part of America being able to legally refuse service to customers on the basis of the violation of their religious beliefs.

Oh this slippery and dangerous topic... Are we sure that Neelix is male?

9. teacake

That's an interesting theory but why would she be asexual? I don't think we can conclude that her sexual urges only come once in a lifetime based on how strong they were in Elogium. If you are only going to have one shot at a baby ovulation is going to need to give you an enormously compelling reason to have sex, not just because you want the kid.

Really she was on heat in Elogium, but she might have much less insane sexual urges all the rest of the time.

10. teacake

We never get much info about gender and genitals other than in VI where we learn about the knee genitals :lol:

Neelix accepted masculine pronouns being used to describe him. OF course he could be "neither" and just let the crew use whatever pronoun they interpreted his looks to represent.

I'm hoping if we get Andorians on screen again we get to see their 4 genders like in the books.. of course maybe we already did but the details are covered.

11. Guy Gardener

I thought some animals needed seasons and pheromones otherwise they would live happily ever after?

12. teacake

Sure, she could be like an animal who has one big heat and that's it.

It's just a tad dull to think the super curious explorer Kes doesn't get to do an sexual exploring.

13. Gov Kodos

The way Kes was chowing down, the Ocampa might eat their mates. Having sex only once, the Ocampa might just eat the genitalia.

'Uh, Kes,,, teeth, TEETH...TEETH!!!'

14. teacake

Sooo... it becomes a society of Women once puberty and mating hit.

How would it feel having a son then, kind of depressing..

15. Gov Kodos

They have fabulous castrati choirs to make up for it.

16. Guy Gardener

Remember the insult "Your Mother mates out of season!" from the movie Alien Nation?

It's the same argument for Vulcans, sure they HAVE to every 7 years, but that doesn't mean that they still can't do it whenever they feel like. Or course one of the often forgotten facets of pon farr is that you have to go home to Vulcan to mate, so even if you shag yourself rotton on the way there, it still doesn't actually count till you're planet side, unfufilled sexual encounters is a trigger for serial killers, never mind, which is something that was addressed in the Movie themed comics since as you may recall, Vulcan had been destroyed by the Future Romulans, which meant that they were pretty much screwed.

17. teacake

OH I see the edit, only PART of the mate is eaten.. the part you won't need once you're impregnated. I suppose this balances it out if the female is the only one to go through heat, keeps the male from getting to do it more often than the female.

18. teacake

Was it ever explained why they had to return to the planet?

Didn't that get kind of dropped? I don't recall this being mentioned in Vorik or Tuvok's pon farr.

19. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Didn't seem necessary for T'Pol to return to Vulcan either, when she had her case of the hots.

20. teacake

Maybe in Spock's time all the women were kept locked away on Vulcan and that's why it was said they HAD to return. They being the males, unsaid.