A question about uniforms looking similar to the TMP ones ???

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Nero's Shadow, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

I've been thinking it looks likes there are more new uniforms in STITD but my question kirk has got a dress uniform on very similar to the one that kirk wears in TMP I've even noticed that kirks from STITD has the rank marks on the shoulders just like the TMP ones and the badge is similar to the TMP one. So it got me thinking because Nero changed the time line has starfleet moved forward in technology and has starfleet decided to change uniforms more quicker.

My theory is that TOS was timelined at 2255 the TMP movie was set around 2270 so there's a 15 year technology gap ?? Have starfleet jumped this quick in technology and thus issuing the beige and grey TMP uniforms ???

Your views please ???

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ TOS was set from about 2266 to 2269. So basically add 300 years to the episode airdate and you've got it.

3. Nero's Shadow

Yes I know that TOS was set on 2266 to 2269 but as you know the new Star Trek film was set at the start with the kelvin year wise 2233 kirk took command around 2255 am I right ?? And I've seen the IMAX 9 min preview and STITD IS set around 2256 ??? I'm thinking seen in the London scene ??

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Uniforms have nothing to do with technology. Nothing.

Pike wears a uniform that takes some design cues from TMP and the Bennett movies - the green-and-white "dress tunic" and a trapunto collar. However, the only thing about any of the other uniforms in this movie that's actually specifically similar to TMP is a Starfleet badge that Kirk's wearing in some scenes. The other resemblances you describe are just things that many varieties of real-world uniforms have: epaulettes with rank pins, etc.

5. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

The Kelvin sequence was set in 2233, yes.
    The bulk of the story for the last movie was set in 2258, from the Kobayashi Maru simulation to the ceremony in which Kirk is assigned command of the Enterprise in relief of Pike.
    2259 - approximately one year later than the events shown in the last movie.

6. Nero's Shadow

Thanks sorry for the trek mistakes I was tired and should have researched my dates more carefully lol

7. Nero's Shadow

Good call sir yes uniforms have no reflect on the technology been more advanced now due to Nero's arrival so perhaps starfleet have just decided to update its image a bit quicker IMO

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

They wear the same uniforms on the Enterprise as they did in The Original Series. Perhaps they always wore TMP-syle dress uniforms on Earth during TOS' timeframe and we just never saw it because we never visited Earth? One kind of uni for planetside duty, the other type for when on duty on starships.

Technology-wise, everything looks a lot flashier because it's 2013 not 1966, but it's meant to be the same as The Original Series in just the same way that James Doohan and Simon Pegg both look like Scotty.