Is watching Trek canon would be release date or Stardate?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by php111, Jan 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. php111

php111 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Is watching the entire Trek canon, would that be watching them by release date known as airdate meaning in order like when TNG overlaps with DS9? Or is watching the Trek canon considered watching by Stardate?

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

It's canon no matter which order you watch them in. Not sure I understand the question?

3. php111

The question is, does Trek canon mean watching by release date or by Stardate?

Yeah, I have a thread floating around here somewhere about what order to watch, but I didn't question at the time about Trek canon. I know people say if they have time they would watch Trek canon, but I'm not sure if they mean release date or Stardate.

4. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I think he's mistaking "canon" for "continuity" and wondering how the various series fit together into one continuity. I think.

It's really up to you. You can choose stardate order, production order, or airdate order.

Stardate order doesn't work for a variety of reasons, no matter how much board members here try to make it work. Stardate order creates a mess.

Production order, I feel, works better for TOS, because we see a lot of elements in development in the first few episodes. In airdate order you go from "The Man Trap" and "Charlie X" to the clearly much earlier "Where No Man Has Gone Before." In other words, you get a better continuity going by production order. However, straight production order doesn't work for TNG, because certain episodes were filmed out of order which were intended to air in a different order. For example, Yar dies in "Skin of Evil," but one more episode was filmed afterward with Denise Crosby's character very much alive. Because of (IIRC) Leonard Nimoy's schedule, "Unification Part 2" was filmed before "Unification Part 1."

Airdate order works best for TNG, I think, while production order works best for TOS. About the other spinoffs, though, I couldn't tell you.

5. mythme

mythme Commodore Commodore

yes for continuity sake you want Production order, with a few exceptions like those stated above

6. php111

Thank you so much! Would you recommend watching everything in airdate order? Like this http://startreklist.blogspot.com/2011/04/list-of-all-star-trek-episodes-sorted_05.html?m=0

7. php111

Would you please post a link that has the series and the movies in production order with the exceptions?

8. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

No, I'd at least watch season one of TOS in production order. Otherwise, for no reason whatsoever, the unforms change, the bridge changes, Spock's look (and heritage) changes, and Sulu becomes a physicist -- then it all changes back again to the way it was in "Charlie X." It doesn't really matter, though, as long as you know "Where No Man" takes place earlier than any of the other episodes (except "The Cage).

Note, however, that if you watch the episodes in production order, "The Cage" should be the first episode; if, however, you watch in airdate order, "The Cage" becomes the very last episode (since it didn't air on television until 1988). Note also that there are several versions of "The Cage," two of which are available on the blurays. Also, there are two versions of "Where No Man Has Gone Before" -- the pilot version and the regular series version, and the content is slightly different in each one.

9. php111

I'm not understanding what production order is. Please at least post a link to which order you would watch the movies and series in? I already asked that question but I still did not receive a link to a site.

10. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Honestly, where the Original Series is concerned, it doesn't really matter what order you watch them in. They weren't intended to be viewed in any particular order and any minor continuity issues are trivial at best.

11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Airdate order works best for the spinoffs too. Especially since you got some cases where a separate stand alone episode was filmed between two-part episodes. Examples, DS9's Through the Looking Glass was filmed between Improbable Cause and The Die is Cast and Enterprise's Carbon Creek was filmed between parts 1 and 2 of Shockwave. Voyager's final season also has some issues the Aliens of the Week from Body and Soul are referenced in Flesh and Blood. Airdate order this makes sense, though in production order, Flesh and Blood was filmed before Body and Soul.

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Production order is the order in which the episodes were actually created.

13. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

In TOS' stardate order, Chekov's first episode, "Catspaw" comes before Khan's otherwise earlier appearance in "Space Seed" (solving how Khan remembered him in TWOK for some).

14. php111

This is my last reply. Thanks for explaining but ignoring what I asked to post a link.

15. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Production date I'd say.

Seeing as how not every episode has a stardate would it mean having to skip those episodes, if you went that route?

16. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jeez. :confused:

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I don't watch any of the series in any particular order. I pick an episode and watch it.

18. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

@ php111

Here is the link you wanted / may find useful: http://tos.trekcore.com/episodes/

Just click on the up/down arrows on the right side and you can toggle between airdate (default setting, not recommended), production (highly recommended) and stardate (recommended for "fun") order. :)

Bob

19. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Since the question has been answered, and the OP says he's not coming back, I'm closing this.

[​IMG]

"Hailing Frequencies Closed"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.