Star Trek Phase II - Kitumba

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Plum, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Plum

Plum Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was a little surprised I didn't find a link to this here on TrekBBS. So ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejyVZKcsn3w

This stuff really LOOKS wonderful, the production value, and editing is terrific!

Am I posting this in the wrong place?

2. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

3. Botany Bay

Botany Bay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks, Plum, I'd forgotten about these guys.

Well worth a look guys - I'd hate to think what it cost to put this together. Amazing visual effects for a fan film. Music cues will have you thinking you're watching TOS all over again.

There are also some cute touches added to the sets etc that hint that the TMP-era is on the horizon. Very nice. Well done to all the Phase 2 team.

4. Darkwing

Darkwing Commodore Commodore

So, has anyone done a comparison between the Phase II version filmed and the original script? A discussion of that would fit this board.

5. JT Perfecthair

JT Perfecthair Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well if we are looking for a way to discuss Kitumba in the TOS forum, its the first time I have ever seen the gold command tunic gold/green shade transformation happen. I've always been in the "Kirks shirt is clearly gold in color" camp, whereas I know from research that in fact it had an avacadoish hue to it. In Kitumba, its gold in the transporter room and on the bridge, but green in the briefing room sequence.

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I got halfway through it and was really bored. Though I'm sure I'll finish it at some point. Beautiful to look at, it made too many unnecessary side trips (Peter Kirk, Karg?).

Plus Kirk seems awfully combative right off the bat, for no real reason.

7. Plum

Plum Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oops. My bad.

8. Maurice

I think it's a valid topic for this forum if we're discussing the original unfilmed Phase II script in comparison, but if we're just going to critique the episode on its own merits it's probably best to just chime in on the existing discussion over in Fan Productions.

Has anyone here read the original 2 parter? I have it.

9. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I believe I've read the summary in the Reeves-Stevens book, but not read the teleplay.

10. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Moving to Fan Productions. They can merge if appropriate.

11. Maurice

We can fix that lol

12. Captain Randy Hall

Captain Randy Hall Commodore Commodore

Kargh is apparently their "go-to" Klingon, and that's not a bad thing. William Campbell was supposed to pay a recurring character in Classic Trek.

And yeah, Kirk is combative -- but then, he's going deep into Klingon territory and finds out he'll be betrayed by the Kitumba as well.

:bolian:

13. geneo

geneo Lieutenant Red Shirt

I agree about the boring part, near the end I almost fell asleep. It was one of the most boring scenes I have ever seen in their films. The special effects I thought were fantastic though and it is a good concept on the whole.

14. PattyW

PattyW Commander Red Shirt

re: comparison to the original writer's drafts, I'm up for that with anyone wanting to discuss. I tried to start it early on the other topic but no one seemed interested.

We got the two part draft from Jon Povill, along with some other Phase II scripts. I am not sure it is printed anywhere, or is on line. Though I have seen people mention the Phase II book.

Maybe there is somewhere I can post the original drafts. Any ideas?

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Well then... ;)

16. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Koloth was supposed to be recurring. Would've been fun. :)

17. Maurice

I'm glad they never went for that "regular nemesis" idea...Bob Justman was right in that it makes the world seem too small.

18. FanOfDS9

FanOfDS9 Cadet Newbie

I've been waiting for Kitumba, and, yes, I was also bored in the middle - I thought it was just me.

19. Zeppster

Zeppster Commodore Commodore

This was pretty top notch with the look of this one. It's not the top level that we've seen from P2/NV people in the past. But it's not far below them. The visuals of the Klingon home world overall are fantastic. Star Trek's actually Klingon visits or Klingon episodes weren't this good visually. The story did drag a bit in the 2nd half, but it was well written enough to keep me interested. I can see some people getting bored because really not much happened after the Enterprise got to the Q'ono's. But I liked the way they presented Q'ono's enough.

20. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    This has got to be the most impressive episode of Phase II that I've yet seen. The general effects, the eclectic variety of costumes, the CGI backdrops, the Enterprise....all of it was absolutely top-notch, and I really enjoyed seeing Kargh again. It took me a while to acclimate myself to Cawley's take on Kirk (even for TOS-era James Tiberius Kirk he was over-the-top....lol) but by this point I've gotten used to his performance and enjoy it.

The tips of the hat to Enterprise with "President Archer" and the Augment virus as well as to other branches of the franchise were a lot of fun and the episode made me wish we'd gotten a canon look at central planets of the Klingon Empire during the run of the original series. I won't lie, I was a latecomer to the fan-made shows like this and New Voyages and a very reluctant one at that, but I'm liking what I've been seeing.

Loving those myriad 23rd century Klingon warships with all the intricate hull detailing. Great episode. Just great. :)