NBA 2012-13 Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by SmoothieX, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

He was traded to the Lakers because they were the team willing to put up the assets and were bold enough to make the deal. As for "demanding" to be traded, that didn't carry any weight back in 1969. There was no free agency. The 76ers received some good young talent for Wilt, and were willing to pull the trigger in a move to go in a different direction. As for money, again, there was no free agency so every team in the league could technically have afforded Wilt.

Kareem asked to be traded, preferrably to New York or L.A. or any big city. He wanted out of Milwaukee. The Lakers, BTW, didn't win a championship with Kareem until they drafted Magic, some 5 years after Kareem's acquisition.

"Desperatly needed"? The Lakers were one year removed from 3 straight championships and still had a very servicable Shaquille and a young Kobe just entering his prime AND Phil Jackson. Not exactly sure what your point is here either but Karl knew (as did most others) that the Lakers, perennial contenders, were the choice if he was going to win a ring in the NBA. Oh, and sorry, but Karl was a Laker and even though they fell short of expectations, that team did make it to the Finals.

Fans, writers and players, moan about the allure of L.A., but the Clippers played here for years and all players could think of was a way out of L.A. It is not about Los Angeles, it is about winning and that is who the Lakers are.

"Big pockets" - "good fortune" :)

I'm afraid that this is the card most fans around the league like to play most when trying to explain the Lakers' continued success. But they have been winners since the early 50's when big pockets and "big markets" meant nothing. Even though they failed to win a championship in the late 50's, early 60's (after winning 5), they played in the Finals something like 10 times during this period.

Nope, it is A LOT more than money and luck. The Lakers as an organization have done what other NBA franchises have not: demanded, and achieved success at the highest levels over a span of 60 some odd years. Their closest rivals as a franchise (in any sport) would be the Yankees IF MLB had spent the last decade or two with a salary cap.

The Lakers have a history of boldness where other teams are timid -- constantly worried about their vaunted "future". That's why for most teams, their championships will always be; "in the future".

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I don't really see the point fighting. My only point was that these were odd circumstances and, given the small sample size, doesn't say much besides a good franchise has had good players in the past. Although two quibbles:
    Chamberlain demanded a trade from the Warriors to the Sixers, so he did have the power to push for a trade.
    Would you consider Michael Jordan a Washington Wizard?

Anyway, in other news: Skip Bayless is reporting that Andrew Bynum's knees are beyond repair and that the Sixers were "had" in the trade.

It's not Bynum's fault, I know he wants to play. This is certainly disappointing. I do hope it was unforseeable before the trade. I'm not exactly sure what we would have done since Iguodala needed to be traded, but it would obviously have been different.

It puts the Sixers in an odd position. The team is basically built around him because they need an inside threat. But he has a one year contract so, if he's done, the Sixers can try a shot at free agency. The problem is there isn't an inside threat that can replace him and complement a team of pull up shooters.

3. gblews

And my point is, this has not been an accident or primarily facilitated by luck. BTW, it's not a fight, it's a disagreement.
    Chamberlain or any other player could have demanded whatever they wanted back then, but it had no clout other than the player's threat to retire. Free agency didn't exist. The Warriors consented to the trade probably for a lot of reasons, but fear of losing Chamberlain for nothing wasn't one of them.

Though popularly known as a Bull, Jordan was also a Wizard.
    I read Andrew quoted as stating that he had very little cartilage in one of his knees. This was a bit of a surprise to me because his two worst injries were ligaments. The Lakers were prepared to play with Andrew this season if the Dwight deal had not happened. I think if they'd known Andrew's knees might not allow him to play, they would have tried harder for Dwight.

But also, I wouldn't take anything Skip Bayless says about the NBA as gospel.

One thing is for certain though, even if he does play this season, Andrew can kiss a max deal goodbye. I'm still hopeful though. I want to see the kid do well.

4. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hope Steph Curry gets into the All Star Game. It's almost like every time I watch him he is just clutch and yesterday's matinee game was incredibly fun to watch. Can't believe the Warriors had the Clips number this year, even though I wish they had scheduled a game in April for the stretch run.

5. boobatuba

boobatuba Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sorry, I don't want to read the entire thread. Are the Thunder still stupid for trading Harden? ;)

6. gblews

We won't know until the playoffs. ;)

7. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Rajon Rondo is out for the season with an ACL tear...... Hate to say it but that may have been the Celtics' season right there.

8. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

If the Thunder don't win the championship it won't be for lack of James Harden. Looks like the Lakers may have finally gotten their crap together, but is it too late? There's zero room for error.

9. gblews

This is a disaster for the Celts and as much as I despise all things green, I feel for them. Rondo was the heart and soul of that team. He was their engine. They might make the playoffs based on the weakness of the East and fumes, but I don't expect them to get out of the first round unless they can get into the 6th or at least the 7th spot.

It shoulda been Pierce.

Rarely is one player the sole reason for any team losing (or winning) a playoff series be it by his presence or absence. That's not what I am saying.

What I am saying is that we won't know the full impact of not having a player of Harden's caliber until the playoffs.

As for your comment about the Lakers, -- agree generally, but looks can be deceiving. We start a 7 game road trip tomorrow.

10. poundpuppy29

poundpuppy29 Commander Red Shirt

I don't have much hope for the Celtics this year without Rondo but I hope I am wrong

11. gblews

With Dwight stil out nursing his little "owee", now Pau may be out for a few weeks and we're going into Boston, just to put a cherry on it. We've already lost Jordan Hill for the season. Sigh, why does bad stuff always happen to us. Why can't bad stuff happen to other teams and not to us. :)

12. gblews

RIP Dr. Buss, the greatest owner in any major sport of his generation. Without him the NBA would not be the international success it is now. He brought a sense of showmanship and style fitting of the modern era of the NBA with his team's open, fast break attack, the Laker Girls, courting of movie stars, winning, etc. He was always classy in victory or defeat.

I remember going to a game at the Forum in the first year of his ownership and watching him step over seats on his way up to the Loge. I looked at him and thought, "now, that man is walking like he owns the place". RIP.

13. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I like to imagine that Buss' final words were, "Fuck you, Dwight."

14. gblews

Hmm, so the Thunder are on the verge of re-signing Derek Fisher, at least according to a recent report I read yesterday. Verrrrrry interesting. Didn't they also trade Eric Maynor before the deadline too?

My admittedly negative take on all this backcourt activity may be the dreded "domino effect" in action. The domino effect sometimes occurs when a team trades a key player (oreven, sometimes not so key) and that trade has ripples far down the line that may not have been visible back when the original decision was made.

For example, and this is hypothetical, Thunder kinda okay with letting Harden go because among other things (including Kelvin Martin, who is no Harden), they also have hot young prospect, Maynor, coming back from injury.

But Maynor obviously didn't work out so they (reportedly) trade him, possibly in a salary dump, and now need another guard. Thus, Fish (who I still love). Had Harden stayed, there may not have been nearly the pressure on Maynor to succeed "now" and he might still be a Thunder and Fish -- still unemployed. Course I could be completely wrong, but it just smells true to me.

Marc Cuban is a world class A-hole and a basketball idiot.

15. gblews

It is difficult to express how hard I am rooting against the Heat catching and breaking the Lakers' 33 game win streak record. That record, now 40 years old, is one of the most hallowed team records in the NBA. This has NOTHING whatsoever to do with LeBron hate. I would root against any team closing in on this record.

Most acclaimed NBA team records (IMO):

No. 1 is the most championships, held by the Celts at 17 (after they broke the Lakers' record sometime in the 60's).
    No. 2 is the regular season record, held by the Bulls at 72-10 (after breaking the Lakers' record).
    No. 3 is the 33 game win streak, held by the Lakers since 1972 (after they shattered the Bucks' 20 game streak set just a season or two earlier).

I don't care who it is, I want the Lakers to hold onto this one. Of the 3, it really is the most difficult one to reach, though not as difficult today as it was back in '72.

So I say, "go, whoever the hell is playing the Heat in the next 6 games", because they are now at 27. :(

16. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

And the Heat streak is over.

17. gblews

Thank you Bulls!!! Thank you. Thank you. THANK YOU!!!

18. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Man, this season both sucks and blows.

:scream:

19. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Some opinion editor's column I was reading opined that if Bryant were healthy the Lakers could have made a run in the playoffs. I'm sorry, but no. No, they wouldn't have. Neither San Antonio nor my Thunder were quaking in their boots, Kobe or no Kobe.

Kobe's a great player, but he's all LA has. Therein lies the crux of the problem. He couldn't have willed the Lakers through the playoffs by himself. If that could be done, Cleveland would have rings by now. Without Bryant, the Lakers have less than nothing. Dwight Howard is going to get off his butt if someone isn't there chiding him every single minute? I doubt it.

20. gblews

:lol:
    Didn't hear you talking this crap BEFORE Kobe got hurt. I don't know about the OKC players but perhaps some of their fans were doing some "quaking" (at least up until Friday night) ;)
    This would imply that LeBron is the player that Kobe is. He is not -- not yet at least.
    You need to keep up on current events better. Dwight has slowly been rounding into the player the he has been for most of his career, since the All Star break. He is once again leading the league in rebounding and is in the top 10 in blocked shots. Pau has been playing great ball too since coming back from his foot injury. Earl Clark has also emerged as a solid contributor since the All-Star break. So yes, the Lakers have quite a bit more than just Kobe. I would be willing to bet that Scottie Brooks and Pop both breathed a sigh of relief when Kobe went down.

BTW, as I told you last season, more basketball watching, less listening to the talking heads. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.