Comics Continuity #2 - Spider-Man

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Hermiod, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

He did know. All of the New Avengers knew. He lost his mask during the breakout at the Raft that brought the New Avengers together.

Around the same time in Amazing Spider-Man Aunt May's house burned down, so he moved in to Stark Tower with MJ and Aunt May. Jarvis and Aunt May even had a relationship (given what we now know about Jarvis, we should all be glad that it has been erased).

Skip forward a while, and after an assassin hired by the Kingpin accidentally got Aunt May instead of MJ, Peter - now a fugitive after switching sides - became desperate. Every avenue failed, even when Stark put $2m in Jarvis' name to pay for her medical bills. Then Mephisto approached him and MJ. Mephisto made them a deal - restoring Aunt May to life in return for their marriage. He erased it, leaving them with only a tiny part of their "souls" that remembered that they were supposed to be together.

Now, one of the side effects of that is that now, nobody remembers who he is - even the people who already knew before he unmasked, including friends like Daredevil and his fellow Avengers. People do remember him unmasking on television but nobody can remember who it was under the mask.

2. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

which is fucking stupid.

3. The Evil Dead

The Evil Dead Vice Admiral Admiral

My least favorite bit about the Mephisto reset is it seems so against the defining trait of Spider-Man, "With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility" In his origin, Spidey made a bad choice and it lead to his Uncle Ben's death. So flash forward and Peter Parker makes a bad mistake by unmasking and that leads to Aunt May being shot. But instead of dealing with it, he gives up on his goddamn marriage and makes a deal with THE DEVIL?! THE FUCKING DEVIL?!

That's the character I've been reading about for the last 20 years of my life? Things get tough so he pushes a reset button? Wouldn't Aunt May WANT him to choose his wife over her? Would Wolverine do that, would Daredevil or Batman? I liked to THINK those characters would just deal with it, and find a way to move on. Aunt May's lead a very long life, y'know, giving up your marriage so she can make a few more batches of wheatcakes is stupid... I haven't picked up a 616 Spider-Man comic since, I don't know this character, I don't care to. Ultimate Spider-Man is the only Spider-Man for me.

4. Gojirob

Gojirob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I loved BND. It was great. It was much better than Cats. I will buy it and its TPB again and again.

NOW FOR GOD'S SAKE, RELEASE MY WIFE!!!!!

5. blaXXer

blaXXer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Please, don't forget that MJ is a super-heroine, now.

6. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

If you're referring to Jackpot, no she isn't. Sara Ehret is a fan of MJ's.

7. blaXXer

I may have missed the issue in which it has been made clear she wasn't jackpot...

8. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Perhaps it hasn't been made 100% clear but having seen Ehret and MJ standing next to each other with Ehret claiming to be a huge fan of MJ's, suggests to me that she is Jackpot.

I suspect there's some sort of weird multiple personality disorder going on here. Jackpot tells Spider-Man that her name is "Sarah Ehret" but when Spidey tracks her down, Ehret denies it and tells him that he should "really keep out of this".

The Jackpot is MJ idea is far too obvious.

9. blaXXer

I still wouldnt put it past Joe Q, tho ;)