Twelve Reasons I Love Star Trek Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by BillJ, Jun 6, 2014.

1. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

"You know, I've tried all sorts of moisturizers. I even went fragrance free for a whole year. Now my sister, she uses some kind of uh... uh... uh... uh... aloe vera with a little sunscreen in it, and ideally, we should all wear gloves when going to bed, but I found out that that creates a kind of an interference with my... social agenda, you know what I mean?" :rofl:

2. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ :lol:

As for you, TayLaLaLa, I do hope you feel better. Remember, there is always the chance for something better. Sometimes you have to wait for it; at other times it will come to you. Wisdom and patience will help you know the difference.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Happy to help:)
    Yup. They definitely put a Trekkie in charge of making that graphic. I hope they're glad that their work is being appreciated even though it was illegible on-screen!

4. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

And some will make you go cross-eyed.
    Just ask His Holiness, Guru Tugginmypuddah.

:D

5. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I agree with BillJ right down the line.

Remarkably enough, neither are the nuTrek movies. :cool:

6. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

To be fair, we are seeing the future happen. Granted it's more like the future according to Paul Verhoeven, but still.

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

To be fair to who? Is someone in charge of this stuff?

8. Mario de Monti

Mario de Monti Captain Captain

Same here - and it was half an hour well spent :)

Frankly I don´t get why people hate the Abrams movies for being ... well, entertaining. Maybe for some Trek has become such a big part of their lives, that they forget it is (and always was) foremost supposed to be just that: entertainment!

@ BillJ
    Great list :techman: There´s just so much to love about the movie, I find something new everytime I watch it.

9. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

You are probably right, there will will never be a 'perfect' film or series for the fans because of the broad canvas that Star Trek is painted upon, there will always be too much action, too little, too much comedy etc.

There are things that genuinely grate on my nerves concerning STID (Khans casting, 2 minute trips to Kronos, when were they planning on dropping out of warp when the Vengeance attacked) and there are things that I initially hated but don't mind as much now (Khan scream, reactor scene). I am prepared to overlook these sins and approach the film more as a casual viewer in the name of being entertained.

The rest of the movie in my opinion, absolutely rocks.

10. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

Love the whole opening sequence. I had an issue with the science of "cold fusion" but, hey... it's SCI-FI.

Can't say I wouldn't do the same thing for one of my kids.

Agree. I thought Cumby was fantastic. Didn't think Khan was needed in this storyline, but his perfromance was right up there with Montalbans.

Really enjoyed those effects. Does the "falling out of warp" thing contradict the historical Star Trek warp theory? Did we ever see a ship tumble out of a "tube" like that?

Yup, I was sad to see Pike go. I thought Greenwoods Pike was fantastic.

I enjoyed the conversation with Pike/Spock and Kirk and as it continued with Pike and Kirk. I just wish they could have shown more consequences... I know we just had a movie here, but he got that command back really, really quickly.

Not sure about that. Khan took out what, about 20 of them without even getting shot?

A horribly missplaced "relationship moment". I can see Uhura losing control and focus, but Spock? (face palm)

The worst moment of the film for me. Just a cheesy rip-off and totally out of character for Spock new and old.

Orci's truther roots aside, I too enjoyed the speech although I thought the cut from Kirk infront of the crowd to the the Enterprise passing through the screen was .... not sure what the word is here.... choppy? ... not smooth?

I'm so onboard with this. She's just not a token black given a postion. She has talent, and fortitiude. GREAT scene with her communicating with the Klingons.

I felt that too... especially with ST09.

This just isn't true BillJ. They were on a mission, illegally behind Klingon lines... to say nothing was going on is to say that Spock and Uhura were just along so they could argue. This argument is just more evidience that the Spock/Uhura relationship needs to be cut off.

All in good fun. :techman:

I hold ST09 much higher than STID. If the NERO story had been better thought out and executed I probably would have had ST09 in my top 2 ST films.

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Were they just suppose to sit there with their collective sphincters locked for the duration of the mission? :lol:

Like I said in my original post and others have chimed in on: awkward relationship moments usually crop up at the most inopportune time.

12. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

Exactly. Just subjective nitpicks. Hardly makes the film good or bad does it?

13. BigJake

Tommy Westphall. Who admittedly is the definition of a capricious overlord.

(The precise relationship of Paul Verhoeven to Tommy Westphall is disputed. Emanation? Subcreation? Avatar? Manifestation? They're all possibilities.)

Shame there wasn't a commanding officer there to quash that nonsense and remind them of their priorities. :shifty:

14. BillJ

Why? He was probably as bored and tired of clenching his sphincter as the rest of them.

15. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I agree with all your 12 points! I just want to add that I agree with what you have said here too. Abramsverse has made me feel the joy and excitement I did back in 1973 when I was 10 and started watching the original series in reruns.

16. BigJake

So, it's an awesome moment because it broke up the monotony of their supposedly thrilling mission behind enemy lines? :cardie: That's... kinda faint praise...

17. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

Exactly why the relationship needs to end. They wouldn't even listen to their commanding officer when he called them on being stupid.

18. BillJ

People want Star Trek to be realistic except when it is actually realistic. Unfortunately, it takes time to get to the thrilling part of the mission, so they took a few seconds to drop in some personal growth. Not sure I see the actual problem here?

19. BillJ

Kirk has always ran a loose command and allowed those around him to say what they needed to say. The reason he allowed it to go on was because it was obviously important to one of his officers to say what needed to be said before they potentially died.

20. BigJake

I guess that depends on whether you think it's "realistic" for a supposedly respected Captain to sit there doing nothing -- actually to be totally ignored and talked-over by his own officers -- when bickering breaks out in a life-or-death situation like that.

I mean, it's not unrealistic per se, it's a perfectly plausible human moment, for my money it just kind of makes them look like a pack of holiday excursionists.

This, though:

"It takes time" can't really be used as an excuse for anything in an AbramsTrek movie, I don't think. Massive time cheats are part and parcel of the whole breathless-pacing thing that helped sell them.

Kirk of old was never shy about reprimanding anyone or cracking down on unproductive bullshit, that was one of the key things that sold him as a leader.