La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Harvey, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Phantassm

Phantassm Vice Admiral Admiral

This is fantastic!! I have waned this like forever. What a dream come true!!

2. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm getting Impatient......

3. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

I cannot believe this is almost here. What a supreme joy it will be to listening to the complete score!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  4. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is great and I can't wait and I'm getting it and it's incredible, everything.

Yet I wonder... why now?

Why not hold off a few more years for a Grand 50th Anniversary Set, make it a super special surprise? It's been decades already, what's a couple more years?

Or, why not years ago? Perhaps for the 25th Anniversary of TOS, or back when TOS was really hot, say the mid-80s--also a time when CDs were the hot medium for music (I still like 'em)

I'd think, marketing-wise, someone would have tried to capitalize on this boxed set, if it was possible back then.

I know making this project a reality is a tremendous effort and cost, and I really appreciate that it will be available to fans like us.

But I keep thinking... why now? What took so long?
    I'd think someone, sometime, over the past 40+ years would have made this total compilation of music available. I don't know, maybe it wasn't possible.

5. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

I really, really want to get this, but am unsure if I can get it delivered to Germany without problems. Does anyone have experience with ordering from La-La Land to Europe?

6. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

I'm listening to the final master right now for season 2, disc 2. Wow, does this sound good. You're all really in for a treat.

Neil

7. TV's Frank

TV's Frank Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

From talking with the guys who produced this set, I learned that it simply was not possible prior to recently, for many different reasons. These obstacles prevented any label from releasing all the scores from the show on disc, but once this was finally resolved recently then work could begin in earnest.

At that point, the question would be, why wait? All obstacles were finally handled, work could start on transferring the materials from original sources and the fact is that the label, La-La Land, is a business and a potentially major profit-garnering project such as this shouldn't lay around for years more. We are a talking about a small, niche label that would like very much to stay in business, pay its employees and overhead, etc and this helps. This aspect of the release is completely separate from Paramount or CBS, all work has been due to the talented guys at La-La Land.

8. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Holding off for the 50th probably would not be wise, IMHO, as Paramount likes to put a hold on licensed items being approved so they can control the marketing for a new movie released.

I believe part of the rush the labels are having to get the Star Trek scores out in general may be due to the new movie in 2013, and Paramount don't want to crowd the market with TOS merchandising.

When the ST:TMP 20th Anniversary Set was announced, the release was delayed until Insurrection had been put out there, much to the annoyance of both Star Trek fans and Soundtrack collectors at the time.

When a label gets the chance to do something like this, they cannot wait for other parties to change their minds. When the stars align, they have to go for it right there and then.

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Are we talking mainly licensing obstacles, technical ones, logistical ones, or all of the above? Were there some scores that weren't available in sufficient quality until now? Were the rights spread out among too many labels and only recently reverted? Were there issues with the approval of some of the composers or their estates?

10. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

La-La Land just sent out this email:

11. Indysolo

That's the biggest announcement of the day!!!

12. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm booking that day off of work so I can make a day of it.

Hope there will be some sets for sale on the spot. :)

If this event is anything like the Star Trek TMP event, I'll really enjoy it.

The only bummer is that I can't get it signed by Maestro Courage. :(

But this is a fitting tribute to his (and other's) work. :)

13. TREK_GOD_1

Nice! Only 35 days to go! I'm busting out of my skin over this!

My only question is....will La-La Land offer pre-orders for this?

14. Indysolo

They begin taking orders online on December 4 at 1 pm PST.

Neil

15. Christopher

That's 4 PM EST, right?

16. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep.

17. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"on Dec 4th at 1pm (PST)"

And by "Yep" we mean "Nope".

18. Christopher

^What do you mean? Pacific Standard Time is three hours behind Eastern Standard Time. There are four time zones in the continental United States, so 1 PM Pacific is 2 PM Mountain, 3 PM Central, and 4 PM Eastern.

19. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ahhhh, the curse of pre-coffee reading strikes again. I read "PM", "EST", but not "4".

"You wanna look around you gotta use your EYEBALLS!" - Peevey, The Rocketeer.

You are right, of course.

20. TREK_GOD_1

thanks!

:)