I hope for more traditional space battles

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Infern0, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

You've also described Soran, the Sona, and Shinzon.

"I'm crazy for some reason and will kill millions of people to get what I want" has been the MO for Star Trek for the past 20 years. You're complaining because it's the same way it's always been...it's just that cinematography has changed since the 80s and gfx have gotten better.

2. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Warning for trolling; comments to PM.

3. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, but you're doing a great job of discouraging certain avenues.

We know what's likely to be successful / non-successful. It doesn't need spelling out every time someone makes a "You know what I'd like to see..." post.

4. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

In the current comic-action craze, I'd even wonder how well movies like "ET", "Close Encounters of the Third Kind", or "Back to the Future" would do, right now.

5. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Am I? OK then, thanks for telling me :).

6. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Why not? If people can't handle realistic criticism every time they post that they want to see a "post-24th-century Trek with Borg, Romulans, etc.", then they shouldn't bother posting, because that's how people are going to respond.

7. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

About as well as Super 8, decent but not spectacular, I'd wager (as Super 8 is the closest thing to those--especially Close Encounters--that's been released recently).

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

You truly don't comprehend what an impact the original Star Trek had?

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep. If being disagreed with discourages people, that's unfortunate.

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I think it does for certain people who can't let go of the past.

I too would love a new film that was like The Motion Picture, but I'm not going to delude myself into thinking it'll happen anytime soon. Or that because I like movies like that, I'm above people who like the Abramsverse. Or that my taste in entertainment is somehow more worthy.

11. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, they should not post and not the Buzz Killingtons whose sole contribution references markets, budgets, cinema climate, ticket sales and audience figures...

I agree that would be a much more entertaining to read.

12. M'Sharak

None of this is on topic - most of it amounts to little more than you tagging around after DalekJim, cheerleading. If there had been more substance to your posts, you might have been warned for trolling instead, but as it is...

Warning for spamming; comments to PM.

13. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

You're welcome. Glad I could enlighten you and nuTrek isn't that much different than old Trek. It's just shinier.

14. M'Sharak

Re-opening after I've got caught up on my reading.

Let's have one more try at getting back to discussing a topic which isn't other posters and/or their supposed shortcomings.

15. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I loved the Kelvin battle, I want more like that. We've had over 40 years of traditional space battles on Trek, its time to retire it.

16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Why can't we all post? Why can't we all offer our observations and facts in a thread? I'm pretty sure we're all big boys and girls here.

One of the reasons some folks have a hard time here is because they come in with an air of superiority and this notion that you can't like Star Trek 2009 and the other series and movies.

As far as traditional space battles go: I liked the battles in Star Trek, TNG, DS9, Voyager the Prime universe movies and the 2009 movie.

17. Admiral Buzzkill

This goes to the "Mom's macaroni and cheese" aspect of fandom - most any fandom. There's always a strong demand for the familiar simply because it is familiar...and fans can tell you all the reasons that "familiar" is in fact "better quality."

After all, if some folks didn't like something just the way it is they wouldn't be fans of it.

The problem is that movies, stories and so forth can't actually continue to succeed and be creative while primarily feeding the demands of the fan base for more of the same. There's a point at which the owners and creators of the things have to take the risk of alienating the fans, if those owners and creators intend to go on with the franchise.

18. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

The ST09 battles are part of a larger trend towards a kind of stylized realism (I know it sounds contradictory, but it is Hollywood). People complained about the fight scenes in Batman Begins, the Bourne movies and in a bunch of other films. It goes back as far as Saving Pvt. Ryan, where people complained they had trouble following the action during the landing at Normandy (unfavourably comparing it to The Longest Day).

The fact that such fights and battle scenes are difficult to follow is precisely the point. Real life conflict is chaotic and disorienting. It wasn't until the past two decades or so that filmmaking technology could convey that sense of chaos. Fights and battles were highly staged because that's what technology allowed for. And like all changes in aesthetic standards, there will always be resistance from some and admiration from others. Staged battles and fights were once a requirement. Now they are a stylistic choice. I expect they will return (some filmmakers never abandoned them) in greater numbers but the more frenetic style is here to stay.

19. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Here is a great compilation of a whole bunch of them:

Trek Space Battles

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Exactly so.