SPOILER - Other Starship Revealed

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by admiral_reliant, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Smaller than an awful lot of other ships in Trek, not terribly much bigger than the Galaxy class which Starfleet could bang out two dozen of in less than 20 years.

It's not remotely "scary" looking, unusual and menacing in it's basic form maybe, but if that "scares" you in any meaningful way, wow.

And it's not black, a dark graphite-ish maybe, similar to carbon steel varients over polished stainless steel. It still has luster, it's not a matt finish.

2. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

But the JJ enterprise is bigger than a galaxy class so the vengeance is as big as a Romulan warbird, possibly bigger !

3. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Well then the Federation has finally caught up with something the Romulans could do all along.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I just figured it has a skull-and-crossbones painted where the registry would normally go. :rofl:

5. greenlight

greenlight Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

For me, the 'science' part of Star Trek has always been about the rationalization of esthetic decisions. That's why I like it better than more 'pure' science fiction. ST does what they think looks cool and tries to explain it as realistically as possible rather than trying to make their very best guess as to what the future would really be like. The trick is making those explanations plausible. If we come away from the movie thinking that the Vengeance looked the way it did because JJ said "Just give me something bigger, much bigger, than the Enterprise. And dark. And scary!" instead of giving some more authority to his designers and technical advisers on how it would most likely look, then I'll be disappointed.

Say what you will about TNG but at least early on, there was a sense that they were thinking hard about these things and trying to be consistent and realistic. At their worst, some of the shows and movies clearly didn't care about established continuity, or even basic physics. That tends to diminish the enjoyment.

6. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Well the Excelsior was bigger and better than the Enterprise back in 1984 and then in 1987 the Enterprise-D was much bigger and better than the Enterprise and the Excelsior. In 1988 the Romulan Warbird turned up which was much bigger and better than the Enterprise-D. Then in 1989 we come across the Borg Cube which is much much much bigger and far superior to both the Enterprise-D and the Romulan Warbird. So.. we are only seeing what other producers of Trek have done many times before, many years ago :p

7. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Shhh. Don't bring facts into the discussion. Just confuses the hell out of everybody. :lol:

8. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Naval ships had to be bigger if they had bigger guns, so they would be more stable when firing those guns.

Now, if a super-phaser has to be large for some reason, then a ship would need to be larger.

9. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Jeez. Now you're doing it. Stop. Stop I say. Enough with the facts already. :p

10. admiral_reliant

admiral_reliant Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

nothing is traditional in Abrams-verse

11. admiral_reliant

admiral_reliant Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Nothing is traditional in Abrams-verse

12. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Also, the sky is blue, grass is green and the hills are alive with the sound of music.

13. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Strict adherence to "Tradition" is what ultimately sank Star Trek before Abrams took over.

Cue Tevye...

14. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

It looks at least Romulan Warbird sized.

I guessed wrong when I thought it Excelsior.

I wonder if this might be Section 31's ship. It has that look. Scans from Narada, infro from Spock's Jellyfish that survived somehow...

A backstory might be that Spock and the Narada weren't the only ships that came through the black hole....

15. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

Well said. All we need know is a moustache twirling villain on the bridge of this ship ... :rolleyes:

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

:guffaw:With a leading zero too! NCC-0[skull and crossbones]
    I suspect the engineering section of the Vengence is the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.

17. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Well, not the whole LLL. Probably.

18. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

I've seen better looking ships in the debris field of Wolf 359.

19. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I actually think the secondary hull looks like an Andorian ship.

20. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Didn't the Lakota almost destroy the Defiant in their fight.