Prometheus: Ridley Scott returns to Sci-Fi

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Daneel, Mar 5, 2010.

1. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There are a few elements from the Alien franchise in the Blade Runner movie, but those are more like inside jokes, added by the art department (similar to how there's a Millennium Falcon in Starship Troopers).

2. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Alien, Bladerunner, Predator, and Terminator take place in the same universe.

Buckaroo Banzai, Doctor Who, Lost, Fringe, Cloverfield, Star Wars, and Star Trek take place in the same universe.

Let's take the in-jokes too seriously. I'm actually kind of curious as to how far it can connect things together down the line.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Every story ever told exist in the same universe. OURS. Its all fiction.

4. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Well that's just crazy talk.

5. Base_Delta_Zero

Base_Delta_Zero Commodore Commodore

That TED presentation was epic. Presumably, this would be the son of Charles Bishop Weyland, though I doubt they'd mention any direct connections with the other series (AVP or Predator for that matter). I can still imagine it to be. There always seems to be a Bishop, Weyland or some combination of the two in the movies/games/books, which might imply a genetically engineered dynasty of sorts, alternating with android replicants.

Anyway, can't wait for this to come out. I want to learn about the Space Jockeys, maybe what they were doing with the alien eggs and why it took 30 years for WY to send another team to LV-426.

6. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed in full! Although I wish Scott and Fox would stop trying to underplay or outright deny the Alien connections. As I see it, there are many parallels ... including:

1. The Space Jockey
    2. Peter Weyland and "the company."
    3. The nature of synthetics
    4. Possible explanation for alien origins
    5. General art direction and nature of the plot

It's understandable that the producers and the studio would want to distance their creative baby from the AVP trash, but everything about their film just screams "Alien."

7. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^I'm guessing they're trying to downplay the connection in an effort to avoid having viewers expect something that they're not going to get. When you ask someone about the Alien franchise, how often do they think of something other than the xenomorph? I think it's been said multiple times that there won't be a xenomorph in the movie, so I'll bet they're trying to downplay connection in an effort to avoid luring people in on the false hope that they'll see the xenomorph. Yes, the movies are all in the same universe but by coming out and declaring this an Alien prequel, they'll send the expectations in an entirely different direction.

8. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

You're overthinking it.

It's a movie. It's a science fiction movie. It's a science fiction movie made by Ridley Scott.

Also, nobody but someone who doesn't get Alien movies talks about a xenomorph.

9. Base_Delta_Zero

Base_Delta_Zero Commodore Commodore

The Lord hath spoken!

Thank you for so astutely delineating the divide between the mouth-breathing masses and the intelligentsia with regards to a fictional IP.

10. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't understand this. That nomenclature comes directly from the second film. I guess you could argue the character who said it doesn't get Alien movies, in the sense that he didn't know he was in an Alien movie?

11. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^ I think you're both taking that a little too literally. I think what he meant is that they don't want people going into the theatre expecting to see "the" alien (whatever name you call it by.)

Of course fans of the series know the difference (that's why they're fans afterall) between a true prequel --as in a direct narrative setup for the original film-- and a new story, with all new characters, in the same fictional universe, that overlaps in places. To what degree it'll overlap, we'll have to wait and see. We don't even know for sure if that's the same planet, let alone the same ship as in Alien (my money is on "not".) Either way, I think the producers are right not to expect casual audiences to be familiar enough with the material to appreciate the distinction. Hell, it's a thirty-odd year old film, I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of people who go to see this film have never even seen 'Alien'.

12. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I believe a leaked synopsis of the film strongly implied the events of Prometheus would directly tie into the origins of the xenomorph. Whether the info is legit is really what remains to be seen ...

13. Deckerd

The 'nomenclature' as you call it was an in-film joke, as the marines immediately demonstrated.

14. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The marines? If they could figure their way out of a phone booth without having to use a manual they wouldn't be cannon fodder in the first place. I wouldn't put too much trust in a bunch of juvenile morons who represent the target demographics for NASCAR and FOX News.

15. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

New one on me - so what do we call them, oh oracle of correct naming? I wouldn't wish to appear like a n00b in such discussions.

16. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

[anal fanboy]The fact that Blade Runner is set in 2019 while this vide is set in 2023[/anal fanboy]

17. BenRoethig

BenRoethig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think they're pretty much considering Charles Weyland from AVP to never have existed and having Peter Weyland as the company founder.

18. Deckerd

Well the clue is in the title. There's a big hint for you.

19. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

What about the Charles Bishop Weyland from the AVP games?

20. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Prometheus? Alien? Alien is a little too generic, isn't it? We seem to have several different species of alien in the extended universe.