Literary Treks

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Enterpriserules, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

In the newest episode we are talking Dr. McCoy in comics! Ongoing #17 and Frontier Doctor

2. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just listened to this one as well. Not my favourite episode, but only because I never got into the comics and so didn't really know what you were talking about. Plus I never really got into TOS either, so it's a double whammy for me! Don't feel bad though, you can't target every episode just to my tastes. I still listened all the way through and found it interesting anyway.

What I would be interested in hearing you discuss in future episodes would be overall looks at some of the various series of books. Like if you did a whole episode just talking about the Titan series, or the DS9-R series, or SCE, or Gorkon, or Vanguard. (I think nu-Voyager was covered pretty thoroughly in the Kirsten Beyer interview.) Thoughts on how each series developed, what the concept was, your favourite characters in each series, stuff like that.

3. Enterpriserules

This week we will be talking about DS9R #1 Avatar part one! So your wish is coming true!

4. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Another interesting show. Great work Chris & Matt:bolian:

5. Enterpriserules

To help other people find us, please leave us a rating and review on iTunes; Thanks!

6. Smitty

Smitty Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

i am not at all into iTunes and Apple... So I guess I am left out in the cold?

7. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You can download the mp3 ofthe podcasts directly from the trekfm literary treks site : http://trek.fm/literary-treks/

Just right-click on the mp3 button, and choose save as from the menu.

8. Freman

Freman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just noticed that Episode 10, "Deep Space Nine Season 8", is up. Going to go download it now. :)

9. Enterpriserules

It is! Let me know what you think

10. Enterpriserules

Ok, recording a huge show tonight with DRGIII! Wanted you to know what's coming up on Sunday!

11. Freman

Freman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Cool. Can't wait. #10 was great, btw. Can't wait for the Book 2 episode. :)

12. Enterpriserules

Thank you so much. It is really fun to go back and reread the DS9-R. I hope that this will inspire people to read them again and but DS9 themed books so we can get more of them!

13. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:bolian:Cool.I''ve been hoping you'd interview David George.I can't wait to find out more news about his upcoming novels.

14. Enterpriserules

We had a blast talking to him!

15. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just finished listening to your discussion about Avatar. I definitely agree that it is thanks to this series, and to Pocket's bravery in taking this direction, that we have had the wonderful, complex and interwoven novelverse we have enjoyed for the last decade plus. And I think as the "show-runner" of that series, Marco Palmieri deserves a lot of the credit. It was a great shame when Pocket let him go. Not to say that the other editors haven't done excellent work too, but I feel like Marco was something special.

As for the book itself, I remember coming across it purely by chance in an airport bookstore. I had no idea they were going to do this, so it was a nice surprise, and I was instantly hooked. I think it's probably clear from all the adapting work I've done on them that the DS9 books are my favourite, and that all started here.

I have to say I disagree with what you were saying about the Dax/Bashir relationship. I certainly do agree that they both acted rather childishly, and that's not a particularly admirable quality in a character, but I don't see it as being out of character especially, nor an unrealistic way to write a relationship. I can definitely see why their relationship would be a rocky one, because look at these two people - Bashir the man who thinks he's always right because he has the genetic engineering to back it up, and Dax the woman who always thinks she's right because she had nine lifetimes and 300 years of experience to back it up. Two egos like that are always going to clash, regardless of how much they love each other. The petulance in Ezri is not out of nowhere - see how she acted with Worf in "Penumbra", for example. And Bashir knowing intellectually how Trills work is quite different to facing it when you're in a romantic relationship with one, which he has never been before now. So I don't really have a problem with that.

Likewise with Jake, I don't know that I agree with your assertion that he had come to believe he played a role in Bajoran religion, either. I took it to be more like how you described Vaughn and Ro - accepting that the Prophets are out there and might know things other people don't, but that's a long way from thinking of them as gods or actually following the religion in the way that Kira does. Anything more than that I think would be Jake trying to convince himself of his foretold role in rescuing his father, which was what was really important to him.

One last thing - I know I always nitpick, but it's an OCD thing. You pronounced the characters' names wrong. It's Elias Vaughn (el-EYE-as), not Ellis. And Prynn Tenmei (ten-MAY), not Tenemi.

16. Enterpriserules

Thanks for the feedback. I understand what you are saying about Dax/Bashir, but I still don't love it. I do think that it would be a rocky relationship as Dax is still figuring out who she is, but I find that they are selfishly expecting the other to be something and when they fail, being unfairly upset. Drop the expectations and learn to know and love the person for who they are (This is all just my opinion). I also think that Bashir has grown too much as a character to act this childish. When he finds that he is pushing Serina, he backs off and gives her space. I feel that he would be much more understanding of Dax's feelings and situation, knowing how hard the joining has been on her. True love involves sacrifice and neither of them seems willing to do that for the other; made me sad, because I wanted them to be together.

17. Enterpriserules

The new DRGIII interview is up!

18. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

^Cool. I'll check that out right now. I enjoyed the DS9 episode, I may give Avatar a read in the next few months:)

19. Enterpriserules

I hope you do! We will be concluding Avatar next week

20. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Great interview with David R.George discussing writting ds9 novels and Alligence in exile.I really enjoyed hearing about the upcoming novel for The Fall miniseries and the discussion about Ben sisko,Kira and Odo.