Remembering D-Day and Doohan

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by JT Perfecthair, Jun 6, 2014.

1. JT Perfecthair

JT Perfecthair Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Remembering D-Day and all those that fought there, including the incredible actions of a young James Doohan on the beaches, from wiki:

"His first combat was the invasion of Normandy at Juno Beach on D-Day. Shooting two snipers, Doohan led his men to higher ground through a field of anti-tank mines, where they took defensive positions for the night. Crossing between command posts at 11:30 that night, Doohan was hit by six rounds fired from a Bren gun by a nervous Canadian sentry, four in his leg, one in the chest, and one through his right middle finger. The bullet to his chest was stopped by a silver cigarette case given to him by his brother. His right middle finger had to be amputated, something he would conceal during his career as an actor."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Doohan

Thanks to all vets.

[​IMG]

2. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

They truly were The Greatest Generation, and we owe them more than we realize. They saved the world.

3. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

During the time I knew Jimmy Doohan, he loved to regale me with tales of his time in service. Of course, having been in combat, I told a few of my own!

4. varek

varek Commander Red Shirt

Awesome biography of James Doohan! Sector 7, perhaps you will be kind enough to tell us some of your war experiences.

5. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There will never be another Global Conflict like World War II. There won't be another real-life Hero in entertainment like James Doohan. And Canada's participation, as well as Australia's and other countries are usually downplayed and overlooked in American History, as if the U.S. and England singlehandedly won the war. But it changed the course of history and put us on the road to new technology and the beginings of cultural revolution. All of this can never be repeated and James Doohan having played some part in the winning of it is most impressive. Entertainers are not often known for their heroics ...

6. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

I forgot that he fought in D-Day. He looks like a very handsome young man in that uniform!

7. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

So he was a victim of "friendly fire"? That's the one thing I didn't know, yet, thanks for posting it.

Bob

8. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

It is one thing to share like experiences with someone who has been through them. Otherwise, I tend to remain quite private about my combat missions. I was a US Navy SEAL team member. Most of our missions were Classified, some still are 30 years later. Jimmy was a generation or two before me, yet we shared a common bond during our friendship... more so than other cast and crew I met.
    James Stewart, Ronald Reagan and many, many other famous actors were decorated World War II veterans.

9. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well-said, Sector 7! Most actors and celebrities, however, are better known for their stints in rehab and arrest records. The greats you mentioned were of a bygone era and we will never see their like, again.

10. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ronald Reagan spent the war in California making movies (in the same unit as Deforest Kelley), which is fine because that's where the army wanted him, but he was not awarded any decorations. Presidents Kennedy, Johnson, GHW Bush and of course Eisenhower were decorated in the war.

As far as actors and D-Day go, Charles Durning landed on Omaha beach on D-Day. Richard Todd parachuted in around Caen. David Niven was part of the operation but did not arrive in France for a few days after the initial landings. Alec Guinness was a landing craft officer in the Sicily invasion, I have read that he was at Normandy but I'm not sure about that. Art Carney went into Normandy as a replacement soldier about a month after the invasion.

11. NCC1701MF

NCC1701MF Captain Captain

12. VORTEX8472

VORTEX8472 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I honestly did not know that He'd served and participated in WW2, what a remarkable person. I've always admired James Doohan as an actor and enjoy viewing some of the old interviews he graciously gave; he seemed to project an aura of genuine kindness and friendship to all, not to mention a fantastic sense of humor.

May He Rest in Peace and live on in the memories of his Family, Friends and Trek-Family around the globe...

13. varek

varek Commander Red Shirt

I hope you're right, 2takesfrakes, that there will never be another global conflict like WWII. Unfortunately, it seems that a number of governements around the world are trying to stir things up. Hopefully, calmer, more rational heads will prevail.
    War is always counterproductive to human advancement.