Disney's Frozen - Grading and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by CaptainCanada, Nov 30, 2013.

?

Your grade?

1. A+

28 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. A

22 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. A-

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  4. B+

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  5. B

9 vote(s)
    11.7%
  6. B-

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  7. C+

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  8. C

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  1. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/...l_adele_dazeem_what_s_your_travolta_name.html

Not a song best suited to Jimmy's Classroom Instruments thing (stolen from DMK on Youtube I think...) but she's looks so pretty smiling throughout.

2. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm cool with that. Idina is a very classy singer and it's a shame they changed things up on her at the last minute. Such is the biz in live TV I suppose.

And just because I can, and hopefully because a couple of you may enjoy it, here's my wife and myself goofing around and singing "Love Is An Open Door":

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3Aq7HJjJvI[/yt]

While here she is singing "Libérée, délivrée", the French version of "Let It Go", because she's a professional singer from Quebec, and because SHE can. :P

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5-SEU9HL0k[/yt]

Mark

3. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Agreed. As I mentioned upthread, it felt like the arrangement was paced too quickly. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought so. I loved how fun and free the Fallon version is. Shows what Menzel can do when given the chance to let her voice fully hit those notes.

4. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't usually go to Youtube and start posting covers of songs all that much (if at all) but I heard this and figured I would share it. This is Let it Go from a Male perspective. It really shows how hard of a song this is to sing, and that just doing it as an Oscar performance on the fly is almost impossible to live up to the original.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kohD5z5mE0E[/yt]

5. Greylock Crescent

Interesting clip. Thanks for sharing it. I can't pretend to know anything about how difficult that performance was (I imagine it's exceedingly challenging, and I concede at the outset I'd be nowhere near able to match it). But I'd say this performer is at his best when he isn't trying to overdo the needless deeper, growling tones and is more closely matching what we hear from Menzel.

6. Mr. Adventure

Very nice (très bon?)

7. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

8. Mr. Adventure

Wasn't expecting the vocals to be left so untouched (and by a little white girl no less), made for a weird mix.

9. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Thanks. I am now "Declan Cambeem"

10. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

11. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

12. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

That's hysterical!

13. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Aaand, in the interest of providing equal time...

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd9V0Xo8tXE&list=PLWdTF5FulcwfswhVib5TonoEtAdxexUYB[/yt]

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

‘Frozen’ Sells Massive 3.2 Million Discs in One Day

Great news for Disney.

15. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder if Disney knew what kind of a hit this movie would be. It makes me even more curious why they chose to promote the film a whole lot different that what we got with that first teaser. Maybe it was the attitude of they just came out with Planes, Disney needed the young crowd, and hopefully word of mouth would have just spread like wildfire. I guess they got their wish because Frozen will be considered a Disney Classic for years to come.

16. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

17. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

I honestly didn't see what was so great about it. I mean, I didn't think it was bad, but just reversing stereotypes? I don't consider that innovative or groundbreaking at all. Unlike Toy Story where it actually had a really great and inventive story. But Frozen? "Ooh, let's have TWO princesses this time, and TWO funny sidekicks! And let's make Prince Charming an evil douchebag while we're at it! OMG, most original story ever!" <just sort of shrugs>

Then again, I don't have whatever gene is required to care much about music, either. It's just sort of there for me in media. None of the songs in this one were at all catchy to me, but I can't remember a single Disney song that was, except maybe that Hakuna Matata one from a while back.

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'm also baffled by the success of Frozen. I thought Tangled was far superior. It's a good movie, but I just don't see it being this popular.

19. Mr. Adventure

If nothing else, I think we've seen that having a great song doesn't hurt.

20. Greylock Crescent

It's not just a great song, though. The song presents a universal theme of defiance, self-acceptance in the face of social pressures, and independence. That the song itself isn't the end of the story - that it's the reconciliation of independence with an accepting family and society - makes its fundamental message accessible to people from all walks of life, with a variety of personal experiences.

The film is a success because, quite simply, it's story is written in a way that it resonates with a *lot* of (though, clearly, not all) people.

And yes, the song doesn't hurt. ;)