Favourite Warp Effect...

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Smellmet, Sep 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

The particle trail in STID was added in part because of the film being in 3D and they felt they needed to do something to create some depth in the shot when the ship shot away.

2. VXX

VXX Lieutenant Red Shirt

i kind of like the elastic band effect

3. Andymator

Andymator Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Definitely another vote for the new movies' effect, minus the pixie dust. I'll always have a nostalgic place in my heart for the TNG style though.

4. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

Having watched that youtube link again, the effect in ST09 has really grown on me, I love the subtle trail of light the fleet leaves behind while Sulu's busy cocking up engaging warp on the enterprise, makes the effect in STID look really cheesy

5. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I'm either going to be very pleased or very sorry for making everyone start using the term pixie dust here...

6. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Says the poster with the My Little Pony avatar ;)

7. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well given the light given off by a star is displaced by however many light years away you are from it, I always sorta justified the many stars streaking by, by maybe they're passing the displaced light of the same star multiple times.

8. Cyke101

I just rewatched Into Darkness, and there are streaking stars during warp, particularly with the warp "tunnel" when the Vengeance is chasing the Enterprise. Kind of hard to see because of the different shades of blue, black, and white, but they're there. Perhaps to your annoyance, the stars streak by *much* faster and quicker than TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT ever did :)

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Commander Red Shirt

The TNG era stretch and flash warp is my favorite by far. Maybe its because that is the first warp sequence I ever saw, but for me a jump to warp needs a stretch and flash.

10. Marlonius

Marlonius Lieutenant Red Shirt

End of TWoK for me, all the way. In general, I like TWoK's warp effects the best. It's got the slitscan look like TMP, but without the overly cartoon looking tube effect of the first film.

Plus that particular scene has the biggest emotional payoff of any warp scene I've ever seen.

11. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

I like the effects from 2009 and Into Darkness. The whole warp tunnel concept makes sense for me, that you wouldn't just see stars move quicker.

The trail when the ship jumps to warp I'm not a fan of, but it's not a problem, just a little much.

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just rewatched the scene but I can't see them.:shrug:

13. anh165

anh165 Commander Red Shirt

1st: TMP
    2nd: Into Darkness (including pixie dust)

14. Cyke101

Correction on my part: perhaps not the chase scene, but the first warp scene, right after Kirk's speech to the crew about hunting Khan on Kronos (specifically, when the Enterprise is flying towards the camera).

On a side note, I rewatched the chase scene after your post, and noticed that when the Vengeance knocks the Enterprise out of warp, breaking through the warp tunnel sounded a lot like a TNG-style warp flash. It's perhaps coincidence and unintentional that the sound effect just happens to sound like that, but it still made me smile.

Speaking as a nitpicker, of course.

15. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

The TMP effect has always been my favourite.

16. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Same here. The TWOK lost the tube thankfully. My concept would be to use that, but on warp to go back to the TOS non-effect. Transwarp should be the TWOK effect within the JJprise tube.

17. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

For me it's hands down the JJ versions. The ship actually feels powerful and fast.

18. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

This.

The pretty colors used in the TOS films are way too cartoony.

19. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked the warping effect from TNG, DS9, and VOY the best.

20. Wally

Wally Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

ST09. It sounds powerful and looks fast. The instant acceleration and deceleration is great. Whenever a ship enters warp or comes out of one, it's an event, just as it should be. Not really digging the 'pixie dust' trails from STiD, interferes with the visual representation of speed IMHO.

Otherwise, warp always just felt so languid and slow

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.