Windows 7, annoying me already

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by AntonyF, Oct 21, 2009.

1. AntonyF

AntonyF Official Tahmoh Taster Rear Admiral

Even though I used the RC of Windows 7 a little, I never really paid attention. But I got the full version today, and installed it, and just some stuff annoys me striaght off.

I'm trying to remain open minded. Both Windows XP and Office 2007 I hated at first, but grew to love.

But really the whole taskbar experience is messed up. Rather than having text by standard, it groups by icon. So at a glance I could see an instant message from Mark, or that a download is at 100%. Now they expect you to hover over the icon, then hover of a window. Way too much mousemovent for something unnecessary. I like quick info.

They also group launching a programme with one already running. So if the Firefox download manager is open, and I click to launch Firefox, it goes noooo.. it's already open.

So I put that back to more old school style... but now the quick launch icons take up double the space they used to. And the text is barely readable on a highlighted task bar item due to the stupid colour choices. I also don't like the smart notifications area... before I clicked the arrow to expand it, but now you have to click an arrow, and move our mouse up over a customize link to choose what you want.

Other silly stuff annoys me too.

I never hated Vista, not sure what the commotion was over that all to be honest. I bought Windows 7 due to it being half price, and I thought I should do it while it's cheap. But equally, I don't see why Windows 7 is getting such adultation. Seriously, I'm using it... what's in it for me? What's a new feature that will make my life better?

Answers on a postcard...

2. PurpleBuddha

PurpleBuddha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would suggest trying the task bar the way it was meant to be set up for at least a week. There isn't much to lose by doing so. I approach multi tasking in a much different way now and am glad I do. The only problem I have is when I have to use a computer with XP or Vista and now get frustrated that I cannot do what I have become used to in 7 (been using Retail version from MSDN release since July, beta before that). I literally hate my fucking work computer for this reason now.

3. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

If I'm not mistaken, all your taskbar quibbles can be fixed to suit your liking in the taskbar control panel.

4. AntonyF

Mr B, but should I adapt to it or vice versa? PurpleBuddha thinks I should give it a go in the new way, and that makes sense as you update and adapt rather than keep working the old way.

If I'd have not given Office 2007 another chance, I'd have never realised how much of an improvement it is.

But I just hate not being able to read what's going on at a glance, so am holding on furiously to the old ways!

Windows has now helped me calibrate my monitor, which has made reading text a bit more agreeable on the task bar. Colours are looking better overall now. :)

But still, some fancy taskbar tricks... is that it from Windows 7?

5. AntonyF

Argh, to moan about one point again though...

Firefox download manager open, downloading a file.

I want to start Firefox, but no... it's removed the Firefox launch icon so I can save about 15 pixels, as Firefox is open.

So I either close my download, and start again -- or go digging around in the Start Menu for Firefox. This is such a backward step.

6. CedricMordrin

CedricMordrin Cadet Newbie

I agree w/ Purple... Give it a couple weeks. I set my grandmother up with an extra copy of 7 I have. She struggled with XP and 7 has been much easier for her to use b/c no matter what she just has to use the bar. The only issues she has is that her older dell printer doesn't work. I really like the new 'superbar', as it was known in development. The aero upgrades are nice as well, like peek, and being able to drag a window to the edges of the screen an it size them appropriately. As much of an improvement that Vista was over XP, it's no were as nice and easy to use as 7.

7. CedricMordrin

CedricMordrin Cadet Newbie

I'm not on my 7 machine right now, but I do believe you can just right click on the icon and launch the a new instance of firefox.

8. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, you should be able to right-click and open a new Firefox window. That's how it works in the RC at any rate.

I can vouch for this, I find using XP and Vista a chore now because I'm so used to the new taskbar. It took me a few days to get used to it, but it is much more efficient than the old system due to aero peek, and my frequently used programs are always in the same place on the taskbar, unlike the old version where it depended on the order I opened the programs in. I can't wait to finally upgrade my laptop next week.

9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I do have to agree in some respect on the way running items are handled on the task bar.
    For example, the Firefox downloader, in XP it would get it's own item on the taskbar and show the download percentage in the task bar. Now, with Win 7, every firefox window, including downloader, gets stacked into one firefox button on the taskbar. No more glancing to see a d=of a download is complete. To make matters worse instead of being able to maximize a window with a single click of it on the task bar, if there are multiple windows of that program, you have to click on it's button on the taskbar, then make another click to choose which window to maximize. This is more steps than XP, not less, all in order to make the task bar look like it has less tasks!?! Um, can anyone say counter intuitive?

On the other hand, Win 7 is very stable and actually runs faster on my system than XP, so I can live with it.

10. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

It's an option for a reason... set it the way you like it.

11. AntonyF

I can't disagree with you, but I play devil's advocate to myself. If I always retro it up, I'll never move forward. Also what if the old way is removed one day? It's important to try and update.

And I have moved to the 'new' style to give it another go. I can see how it'd be useful in some circumstances.

Yeah, that's what I found -- and the product leaflet says there are less clicks.

I see they removed something else that I liked. It's so tiny, so trivial... but if one is used to it, it throws a spanner in the works.

I always showed desktop by right clicking on the taskbar and select Show Desktop. I'm a real right clicker, and could do it fast -- the taskbar is big. It's gone now, and I have to click that icon in the bottom right corner. On the one hand that's good, easy quick access. But I find it harder to aim for that tiny bar than just to do it the old way.

It's petty stuff I know, but I just find it slightly jarring as I'm a creature of habit.

Oh one more thing. The optimism filter. :D The weather according to Windows is blue sky and sunny. Trust me, it really isn't!

12. TheGodBen

You don't have to click twice, you just have to hover the mouse over the icon on the taskbar and the selection pane will pop up a half-second later. I admit that I was trepidatious about this feature because I hated window stacking in XP and Vista, I always turned it off, but I like the way it works in 7.

Are you sure it's gone? :confused: Because I just right-clicked on the taskbar in the RC and the option is still there, but I suppose they could have removed it in the final version.

13. AntonyF

Err, I see it now!

Damn Windows 7 making me blind. ;)

14. TheGodBen

It's all this transparent aero stuff, it makes things hard to see. ;)

15. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Been using it for 10 months. Can't really complain. Things change.

I looked at my copies of Windows 95 and Max OS 9 yesterday and had a laugh at how far we've come.

Or lack of same.

16. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Still annoyed that in Windows 7 they ripped out the XP-style Start menu that didn't require a mouse to use. :shifty:

17. AntonyF

Well I've changed the theme, and reduced the transparency of the taskbar which I find much better. I like my taskbar to feel more solid than the default. :D

Still sticking with this new style of taskbar. Do I find it intutiive? Not at all, still a backward step in my mind to not have stuff at a glance. Why bring in more mouse movement to see something that was just there before? But I am starting to adapt, and am finding it less annoying. So maybe I'll learn to keep it.

People were queueing for Windows 7, and Dixons here sold more in three weeks of Windows 7 than they did in a whole year of Vista. I am STILL stunned as to what has changed so much for this.

One feature i do like: aggregated my document folders.

18. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This probably doesn't explain the retail sales, but I know that since I built a new machine a month ago, I decided to hold off on getting Vista (even with the free upgrade, since Windows 7 won't let you do a fresh install of the upgrade versions) and instead ran the RC and picked up Windows 7 when it came out.

19. AntonyF

Yeah this behaviour hasn't affected me before, but as I was thinking of getting myself a new laptop and my parents a new PC I started to think that I'd wait until Windows 7 was out.

Want to wait until I get a job too now. :D

20. TEH BABA

TEH BABA Commodore Commodore