X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by StarTrek1701, May 31, 2011.

?

How Much Did You Enjoy X-MEN: FIRST CLASS?

Poll closed Oct 28, 2011.
  1. A+ (Great Movie!)

73 vote(s)
    35.6%
  2. A (Entertained a lot!)

93 vote(s)
    45.4%
  3. B (Was okay, not bad)

30 vote(s)
    14.6%
  4. C (Below expectations)

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. D (Very bad)

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  6. F (Intolerable, want money back)

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure Gore Verboski or whatever his name kis directed that.

2. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wolverine?:devil:

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it was Gore Verbinski. Verbinski also directed Mousehunt, The Ring, The Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy, and Rango. Also he directed the awesome Budweiser frog commercials!:techman:

4. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

ObiWanShinobi is probably thinking of "The Family Man."

5. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Haha, my mistake it was The Family Man. Both of them had Nicholas Cage.

6. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Are you guys seriously comparing Micheal Mann's movie to Brett Ratners? Manhunter is awesome, but I liked Red Dragon too, mainly because of the all-star cast and it's performance. Say what you want, but I loved Ralph Fiennes as Dollarhide, and having Anthony Hopkins play Lecter is always a plus (though I found Brian Cox's take on the character pretty fucking great).

Also, I really don't see Red Dragon as a remake of Manhunter, but rather a different book adaptation. As for Ratner, he's kinda mediocre as a director, but by no means a bad one, IMO.

Matthew Vaughn? Directed only four movies so far, two of which are pretty good (Layer Cake and First Class), Stardust I haven't seen, but I'm still waiting for him and Mark Millar to apologize for turning a brutal and gritty graphic novel (Kick-ass) into a teen comedy.

And to ad insult to injury, I'll just say that X3 doesn't deserve a tenth of all the hate it gets. :p

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sorry you didn't like "Kick-Ass" but I thought both the graphic novel and the film adaption were stellar. They've nothing to apologize for in my opinion.

8. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Opinions, tastes... Ah, well... The thing is, I really liked the way Millar handled the "romance" in the novel

Katie Deauxma telling Dave to "fuck off", then sending him a pic of herself going down on a guy, just to spite him...
    while in the movie, the two live happily ever after... :shifty:

And then there's the issue of Big Daddy, his back story and motivations... In the movie, he is a bad-ass ex cop and a widower, while in the novel..

He turns out to be a fraud, a sad comic book freak who kidnapped his own daughter (Hit-girl) from her very-much-alive mother just to give her "an exciting life".

Also, I fucking hated the jet-pack scene...

Also, Christopher Mintz-Fucking-Plasse (AKA McLovin) as Red Mist? Come on...

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  9. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Just returned from my second First Class viewing. Possibly enjoyed it more than the first.

The "pig farmers and tailors" scene is just awesome! :techman:

I'd love to just have a whole movie about Magneto hunting down ex-Nazis. Then maybe at the end he could fight it out with the Jew Hunter from Inglorious Basterds :D

10. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

While I like the ending as depicted in the book much better than the movie, in fairness, the book's ending would never have worked for a major motion picture. It is way too depressing and nihilistic in addition to making to characters unlikable and unsympathetic.

11. Admiral_Young

^ I agree. That is why I assume they made the changes they made with the film.

12. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Exactly why I can't stand reading anything by Mark Millar anymore.

13. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the audience in the States wouldn't have the stomach for that stuff, so Vaughn went for the typical Hollywood smiley-face bullshit. ... Wait, wasn't Kick-ass rated R anyway? In the end, the numbers indicate that your average movie goer never even heard of that movie, let alone paid to see it.

14. Admiral_Young

^ To be fair...who outside of hardcore comic fans even knew about "Kick-Ass" in the first place? The only reason I knew about it is because I'm a Mark Millar fan. No one would care about those cosmetic type changes except us. I happened to think the film was a solid, entertaining effort that managed to be faithful to the source material. It's fine if others didn't.

15. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't call it "smiley-face bullshit"; instead, it was more making the movie for general audiences. Having something so pessimistic worked for the comic, but wouldn't for a mainstream viewer. Vaughn and his screenwriters made the right call on this.

Kick-Ass was rated R for violence and language, which, interestingly enough, seems to generally get a pass in pop culture (though, there was a large our-cry surrounding the 11 year-old Hit-Girl).

True, Kick-Ass did not reach blockbuster status. Then again, it didn't need to. It had a budget of around 30 million. That is really, really inexpensive. Its B.O. ended up being around 95 million. It did fine. But what does that have to do with the intention of the filmmakers and the ending of the movie? Absolutely nothing. Just as citing low numbers on the amount of people who went to see Kick-Ass in theaters has nothing to do with the intent of the filmmakers.

16. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

po-tay-to / po-tah-to [​IMG]

17. KB24

KB24 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Saw First Class for the Third time today! I really do think this could have been a two part film or been solely about Charles, Erik, Raven, and Hank without getting into the cool cat kids, but eh, if that's my only complaint after 3 viewings, not bad.

I like all I've seen from Matthew Vaughn thus far. I really really enjoyed Stardust and Layer Cake, which perhaps in the extreme differences in subject matter of those two, does that show something about Vaughn? Kick Ass I liked, but there were major things in it that I didn't like or just seemed stupid. I seriously don't like Nicholas Cage.

I had to look up Brett Ratner to see what else he's done! Uhm ,yeah, not a lot of anything special. I liked Red Dragon a lot, but it has the unenviable task of cinematically following Silence of the Lambs. I also really loved the first 2 and half seasons of Prison Break, but that bone was milked dry. Suffice to say if I had to choose between the two, I'd much prefer something by Vaughn.

Guy made a joke earlier about 'Mag Wheels'. Has anyone seen the Popcorn interview where Fassbender calls McAvoy a loser (complete with the L hand sign) for 'ending up in the wheelchair'? Kind of funny. I was reminded of the bromanceness today in the theater when I caught a snip of dialogue I didn't hear before. On the bed in the club when Angel says it costs more for both, Xavier declines but says something like, 'though I sure that would be magical.'

:wtf:
    :guffaw:

18. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Maybe they'll try to make it an agnostic film, like...
    TMNT, which is so vague that it could easily tie into any previous Turtles continuity. They even had a strategically placed crack in the ooze canister to obscure whether it came from "TCRI" or "TGRI."
    Terminator Salvation, which doesn't put a date on Judgment Day and could theoretically fit either Terminator 3 or The Sarah Connor Chronicles into its backstory.

Hollywood is a funny place. Most of the cast & crew of Terminator Salvation couldn't help but take a few swipes at Terminator 3 in their interviews, even though T3 & Terminator Salvation both had the same screenwriters.

The world's not set to end 'till December of that year, so we'd get to see pretty much everything except maybe The Hobbit.:p

Personally, I think I would prefer to see X-Men 4 over an X-Men: First Class sequel, but either would be cool. On the one hand, I'd prefer to see the story move forward in the future. On the other hand, I really like the way they realized that red & purple look for Magneto at the end. Either way, I'd like to see more of the Xavier/Mystique relationship, which was one of my favorite parts of First Class.

19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Once upon a time in the 1800s, Angel and Spike were in a Devils Threesome.

These things happen.

20. 24thcenstfan

24thcenstfan Commander Red Shirt

I think I gave it an "A" the last time I visited, but ran out of time to respond.

I really enjoyed this movie. I liked lead characters and was pleasantly surprised by the depth of the story. After "The Last Stand", I feared the worst, but I am glad this franchise seems to be back on track.

I especially loved James McAvoy as Charles Xavier and Michael Fassbender as Erik Lehnsherr. Excellent casting choices in my opinion.

Looking forward to the sequel!