Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Savage Dragon, Apr 24, 2013.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I really disliked cramming the two episodes together. I watched The Best of Both Worlds last night and it just didn't "feel" right. No great Rod Jones musical cue at the end, no "Last time on..." at the beginning of part two.

Glad I told my daughter she could have it after I watch the episode and the special features. It won't be taking up valuable real estate on my Blu-ray shelf.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

That does not make much sense. Most people who buy the season sets have already seen the episodes and know the resolutions. You are thinking of this from only the perspective of a fan.

This is not about cliffhangers. Its about creating new movies out of tv episodes. Movies can be purchased as an impulse buy because of a lower price and being able to watch it in a single viewing. Putting Spock on a DVD cover Picard and/or Data on sale for $14.99 is going to get attention.

3. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Which makes sense. But I don't think it's asking too much to make the joins just a little more subtle. The music cut was jarring.

(I think they should have played out the entire musical sting, and faded to blank, just like other commercial breaks in the "movie".)

4. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

As a 'feature' cut, I had no problem with it at all. I know how the original 2 parted ended. It's not like we were going to leave at the end of part 1 and come back in next week for part 2. There was no need for the cliffhanger fade out because the theatrical cut isn't a cliffhanger. It's meant to run together.

5. GameOn

GameOn Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thanks I just pre-ordered it. I'm stunned that at the price seeing as season 3 was £77 to pre-order before dropping to around £50.

6. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But there is a need to not have a sudden jump in the music there. It's a crappy cut.

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Yup. It jumps from one type of music to another with no transition.

8. Beta-Z

Beta-Z Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Guys, if you think that's crappy already, go listen how they raped the german version in those seconds...:rolleyes: After that, you will be very pleased by what happened to the english one. ;)

9. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is that posted anywhere?

10. Beta-Z

I hope not. ;)

11. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Huh, the BOBW blu-ray hasn't even been released in Germany. So what are you talking about? The VHS version from the 90s?

12. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The UK release includes a German audio track.

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  13. Cap.T

Cap.T Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It actually has been released in Germany but Paramount Germany released it in such a way, that nobody in Germany noticed it! The disc can be bought exclusively in Real Markt in Germany. I didn't believe it until someone posted a pic of his Blu-Ray in the german cinefacts.de forum. It didn't matter to me because I allready had received my UK-Version from zavvi.com.

14. Beta-Z

That's right, got it in the Real Market yesterday. ;)

15. asp7485

asp7485 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Speaking of differences in music, there is something I noticed in the remastered BOBW Part II.

It seems the "Intervention" cue (when they take Picard back from the Borg ship) has been altered. In the original, the music starts after Riker finishes the line "Take your best shot, Locutus, because we are about to intervene." In the remastered, the music begins as he is saying that line. It then sounds like the cue is looped slightly when it cuts to Shelby so the rest of it plays out as it did.

This is such a minor thing, but it kind of trips up the sequence for me because, seriously, that part is one of my favorite things in all Star Trek and I've watched it a million times. It really freaks me out that the music starts in the wrong place.

Does anyone else notice this or am I being a super detailed obsessed Trek fan?

16. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't remember it being that far off during the BOBW screening, but if they DID alter it then it's a stupid change.

17. jb1234

jb1234 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Yeah, they loop the section (and not with subtlety) at the cut to Shelby. Another thing that annoyed me about the music in the remaster was how it always seemed to fade out overly quickly during the end of acts, cutting the ends of notes off. Have no idea why they did that.

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  18. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Wow, you guys are absolutely right! I just purchased the disc at our local Marktkauf store. A guy at Real told me, they would get it on Monday. I'm looking forward to watching it tonight. Thanks for the heads-up!

This must be one of the most outlandish moves of Paramount/CBS Germany ever. In all my years as a fan I can't remember any release ever gone this unnoticed. I mean, even now Amazon.de isn't even listing it! This can't be a coincidence. What's the thinking behind this?

It's a shame, really, as this seems to be a really fine release. The package is rather neat, the price is okay and the content is great. So why make it such a secret? :confused:

19. crotig

crotig Ensign Red Shirt

One of my favourite eps from this season is Night Terrors, minus most of the Troi scenes. The scene with Dr Crusher in the cargo bay with the corpses sitting up around her was great. I thought the music track also wasn't as bland as the standard stuff being used in most eps at the time.

I still have the VHS I bought 20 years ago of this and Identity Crisis when the BBC stopped showing TNG for 2 years because they thought it wasn't worth it anymore. One of the few TNG VHS releases to get a 15 rating when most had PG or U.

Nth Degree, Brothers, Clues, and Devils Due are also favourites.

20. GameOn

GameOn Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The BBC stopped showing TNG because Sky bought the first run broadcast rights. I never really say this as a bad thing since the BBC were 3 years behind because they didn't start airing it until 1990.