The Captain Gold plot thread in "Turn the Page"

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Nob Akimoto, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Nob Akimoto

Nob Akimoto Captain Captain

....was I the only one reminded of the tontine that Colonel Potter was part of in "Old Soldiers" in M*A*S*H? A lot of the elements seemed to share in common with that episode: Old group of battle survivors, usually affable/good natured CO in bad mood and snapping at people, CO turns out to be the last survivor of a tontine and drinks with his subordinates/new friends.

Was this an intentional homage? Or was it just a coincidence? Anyone ever ask Dayton or Kevin about it?

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The creators of SCE have made no secret of the fact that Gold was directly based on Colonel Potter, and that M*A*S*H was a major influence on the series as a whole. (My brief for writing Tev when I introduced the character in Aftermath was "Charles Emerson Winchester the Tellarite.") So yeah, I'm sure the tontine reference was intentional.

3. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Everything Christopher said above is accurate. Dayton, Kevin, and I all agreed to do an "Old Soldiers" pastiche when we relaunched Corps of Engineers.

4. Nob Akimoto

Nob Akimoto Captain Captain

Thanks guys. Glad I wasn't just imagining things or reading too much into it.