MLB Offseason 2012

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Mr. Laser Beam, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

:lol: Is there a team in baseball that you don't accuse of smear campaigns?

2. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

^It's his thing, he doesn't bother the customers and he pays for whatever he breaks.

3. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Dickey reportedly bitched about the Wilpons dragging their feet on his extension at a Christmas party; within hours his name was in trade talks and there were "sources" within the Mets organization saying that there were concerns about his arm and his knee. It wasn't a Larry Lucchino hatchet job, but there was definitely an element of a smear campaign going on.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Maybe there really are concerns about his arm and knee?

As for his contract: RA's said that he doesn't want to leave the Mets. So I admit I do wonder why he didn't ask his agent to accept whatever contract they offered him.

5. Timby

Not in any tangible sense. Dickey is a unique case in that he was born without his UCL, so there really aren't any case studies about his longevity. Despite being 38, it is entirely possible and I would say probable that he pitches well into his mid-40s, given that the knuckleball is a relatively low-stress pitch.

In any event, there were never any concerns about his health until the press suddenly "learned" about them after his behavior at the team holiday party. Connect the dots.

Because the Mets' offer was insultingly low for a guy who has had three consecutive lights-out seasons and is the reigning Cy Young winner? The dude is 38 and this is his one chance to get a big payday and secure his family's finances for a long time to come. There's no reason he should just take whatever lowball the Mets give him.

6. TrekNut87

TrekNut87 Captain Captain

Mike Pelfrey signed with Minnesota... 1/4 and up to 1.5 in incentives.

7. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I have to say, if this seven player trade is true, I agree with it. As much as I love RA, at this point the Mets need these prospects more.

8. Timby

Yeah, Alderson did a good job of wringing as much value as he could out of the Jays. Getting an expensive July 2 prospect with big tools for Mike Nickeas makes this trade a good bit better than it already was.

AA's going to have people calling for his head if the Jays faceplant and are in fourth place by July after going all-in like he has this offseason, though.

9. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

Dickey starts were the only reason to watch the team after the all star break, and I hate to see him go from a sentimental standpoint. But, he's 38, knucklers are notoriously inconsistent, and the Mets aren't built to win in the next year or two. I'll take a top flight catching prospect.

I think Alderson is doing a good job of purging the team from the previous regime on a limited budget. For the first time last season in years, I felt some hope about watching them. I can deal with youth and rebuilding, but not incompetence and dead weight.

Edit: Ooh, they get a highly rated pitching prospect too.

10. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sorry, but I just can't get behind this trade. We gave up too much future for a guy that may or may not be dominant again. You can quote me all you want on how knuckleballers don't throw as hard so they last longer, but until I actually see it on the field, I'll believe we overpaid.

11. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

You over paid a bit, but not to the extent of your dismay. When he wins 16-18 games for you this season, well see what you think then. As with any trade, anything could happen. Your top shelf catching prospect we got has some serious injury concerns and with catchers anything that impacts your legs is troubling.

As a side note I found this on line today. Its a cartoon done by Dale Murphy's son for his dad trying to get him in the Hall of Fame.
    [​IMG]

This is what the son said: [M]y professional sports knowledge is nil, and my athletic prowess is nonexistent. Most people are surprised to hear that my artistic side was actually fostered and encouraged by my Dad, but that's just the way he's always been with me.

I'm not smart enough to argue his career, his numbers, or to compare him to other players (I only know a few others), and I can only remember bits and pieces of his career. But I remember perfectly sitting in our art room in Georgia, tracing the outlines of our feet onto planks of wood, whittling sticks and bars of soap on the back porch, admiring my dad's doodles that he would do of all our names, and carving our initials into trees as we tried to hunt bats with our BB guns.

I don't know if he'll get in the Hall, but... it really doesn't matter to me.

http://deadspin.com/5969376/dale-murphys-son-drew-his-dad-this-heartwarming-cartoon

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  12. Timby

D'Arnaud has some pretty big question marks around his knee, though. If he has to move to first base or a corner outfield spot, his prospect value takes a pretty big hit.

13. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

If he wins 16-18 games, I'll congratulate him and admit I was wrong :)

14. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

But wait there's more! Instead they sign Edwin Jackson for 4 years and $52 Million!

15. Timby

That's actually a pretty decent deal for both sides, honestly. Despite his reputation, Jackson is one of the most reliable and consistent starters in all of baseball and will give you all of the innings. I'm kind of surprised he got four years, though of course he may not spend all four of those years in Chicago.

16. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

The story is only on cubs.com, so take it with a lot of grains of salt, but it says they have signed Nate Schierholtz to a 1 year contract worth $2.25M.

He's young enough, if he gets back to his average, he could be a good addition.

The Cubs also lost pitcher Beliveau to the Rangers, which is a shame. I thought he had a lot of potential.

17. Timby

Schierholtz's lifetime OBP is .319 with a career OPS+ of 97, making him essentially a step below replacement-level; at age 28, nearly 29, you pretty much know what you're going to get from him. I wouldn't expect much. My thinking is that Hoyer is hoping that Schierholtz pulls a LaHair and has a monster April / May, which would make him an attractive trade piece (until he returns to being Nate Schierholtz instead of a moon monster). That being said, $2.25 million isn't a terrible overpay or anything, so I guess all I can say to this move is ... "okay."

Beliveau had been designated for assignment, so he wasn't exactly "lost," the Cubs didn't want him anymore.

18. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

^ Right, they designated him, possibly for the purpose of sending him to the minors (if I understand that process at all).

19. Timby

Being designated for assignment is basically a less harsh way of telling a player he's been cut. It puts the player on the waiver wire and also lets the rest of the league know that a trade can be worked out for him if he clears waivers. You can use it to stash a guy in the minors, but you don't do it to guys you really value -- once a player is designated for assignment, you have to trade or release him within 10 days if he isn't returned to the 40-man roster.

With Beliveau, he got hammered in AAA and there are some concerns about his arm. The Cubs also needed space on the 40-man for Jackson, Fujikawa and Villanueva, so at this point Beliveau was pretty clearly considered to be a decent asset, but expendable. To be stuck in AAA at age 25 isn't a great place for a pitching prospect, in any event.

20. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's being reported that former Reds player Ryan Freel committed suicide Saturday at the age of 36. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.