Unused ship for Nemesis

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by B.J., Mar 29, 2013.

1. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you've seen Pierre Drolet's new website, he has a lot of cool renders of stuff he's worked on over the years. Recently, he uploaded a lot of stuff he's done for Star Trek. All of it I've seen various places before, except for one. If you go to this page and scroll down about 2/3rds of the way, you'll come across something he calls "Unfinished Prototype for Movie X". (Assuming he didn't mistype, that would be for Nemesis.) Certainly looks like a redesigned Klingon Bird of Prey, but with it being so pointy, I can't be sure. Anyone else know anything about this bird?

2. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

It would have been a Romulan ship, surely? The ship that ended up being Donatra's ship? (Valdore)

Edit: Hmm, he lists the film as Nemesis on other images. Could this Klingon-looking little ship possible have been a proto-style submission for Into Darkness?

3. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

It certainly looks like it could easily be an upgraded BOP, perhaps used be either the Romulans or the Klingons. Or both.

4. Into Darkness

Into Darkness Captain Captain

wow that looks an incredible ship. Love it.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, that site is amazing! I love the pics of Ki'Baratan city from Nemesis. I wish there was a top-down pic, for some Google Maps-style fun. And what I'd give to have a walk around Area 5100!:D

I've read that they planned at one point for Nemesis to end with a huge fleet battle, not just the Enterprise vs. the Scimitar. Perhaps the Klingon Bird of Prey is a relic from that.

6. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wasn't the Klingon Bird of Prey originally designed for Star Trek III when the main baddies were supposed to *Romulan* - hence the very Romulan design and color - and *name*, as up 'till that point, only the Romulans had ships named "Bird of Prey", that were painted like birds.

So in my personal head cannon, at least the original "Klingon" Birds of Prey were a Romulan design that was traded to the Klingons for the Klingon D-7 and later style ships that we saw the Romulans using in TOS and on the Kobyashi Maru simulation in Star Trek II...

Of course...I guess that doesn't make sense considering that in Enterprise we saw a 22nd century Klingon proto-Bird of Prey. (Unless the Klingins and Romulans were trading designs even back then.)

Makes me wonder what happened sometimes in the 23rd century to make the Klingons and Romulans go from tenative allies to species who hate each other so much...? Though maybe the Bird(s) of Prey and D-7's were *captured* ships used by both species...?

7. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Yes, originally Kruge would have stolen a Romulan ship for its cloak, and I'm not sure to what extent the model or design had been finalized when the Romulan connection was dropped. FASA's contemporary RPG did acknowledge the change by having a loose alliance and technology exchange between the two (who were at odds just as often), and the Klingons got the scout class hulls from them. They later scaled them up to larger hulls in violation of the original agreement, and the Romulans weren't happy.

8. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sweet! I wonder if the circular walls of the citadel serve a practical function? Those ornaments look a bit like shield emitters... (Say, the emitters on DS9, which supposedly featured some Romulan know-how, as per the episode "Dax".)

Timo Saloniemi

9. Manticore

Manticore Manticore, A moment ago Account Deleted

The issue with that is that green wasn't associated with the Romulans until TNG, and the Klingon Bird of Prey follows a distinctly Klingon design philosophy for its overall shape (minus the feather pattern on the wings).

10. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Indeed, bird-shaped ships are right up the Klingon alley in the broader perspective. One might also argue that most starfaring cultures tend to view their spacecraft as technological birds of some sort, and a minority will see the shapes of fish or worms in them...

Cloaking devices also sound like the perfect technology for the Klingons we saw in TOS; say, the teaser of "Errand of Mercy" in its original form certainly looks like a classic Klingon Bird of Prey attack, with the skipper betting his life on rapid decloaking and a fierce first volley, and losing.

Timo Saloniemi

11. patspring83

patspring83 Ensign Newbie

Wasn't Battle group omega going to originally be in the film.If so new ships or old ship?

12. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

To my knowledge, Battle Group Omega was never supposed to be shown.