Sci-Fi TV Shows that you're pretty sure only you watched.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dale Sams, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Not if you had a crush on her...

2. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

^From a purely visual POW I see what you're saying - But the stories suffered from having Catherine Schell as a shapeshifter and not Barry Morse as a 'professor'.

3. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think Schell was one of the better aspects of season two, but for a lot of reasons season two was a clear step down from season one overall. Instead of improving the show in the second season, in almost every way they made it worse. And, I missed Morse.

4. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Speaking of shows in the 1970s I was a fan of 'my partner the ghost' which was not huge over here but was apparently a British import, brought in under a different title ( i think it was called Randal and Hopkins, deceased' in the UK)

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Here's an obscure one. Time Train was Fantasy Island type show in which Vincent Price and his real-life wife Coral Browne played the conductors on a mysterious train that could carry guest-stars back to turning points in their life . . . .

I doubt if it ran more than four episodes or so. Anybody else remember it?

6. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wiki calls it Time Express. Totally missed that!

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

You know, I knew I should have looked up the title before posting that . . . :)

And my copy of The Encyclopedia of TV Science Fiction is just sitting there on my bookshelf.

Thanks for catching that!

8. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

I had the Space:1999 Lunchbox too. As a boy in the '70s, my friends and I were all fans of the reruns of the original Star Trek series. In September 1975, with the beginning of another school year, we experienced the debut of the new Space:1999 series. Immediately, we all loved Space:1999 and for the two seasons it aired it captured our imagination. :)

9. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

That's weird. I remember it as Time Train, too, but clearly it was Time Express in its original run. I sure did watch it, though. Vincent Price was in it. But, unfortunately, it was pretty lame; it was intended to be NBC's Fantasy Island, but it was too narrow a concept.

10. Andrew_Kearley

Andrew_Kearley Captain Captain

Randall and Hopkirk -Deceased

Another classic from the Monty Berman/Dennis Spooner stable.

Very popular over here in its day, and still gets regularly repeated.

11. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Reeves and Mortimer version ( of Randall and Hopkirk) was quite fun too.

Was the girl attractive?

She escapes me. ;)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can't believe I missed Greg's original post about The Middleman, I absolutely loved it, and I still missed it. The DVDs are actually on my Netflix queue right not, and I'm planning on it being one of the next series I watch rent.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Just be aware that the season is technically incomplete; the season finale, "The Doomsday Armageddon Apocalypse," was never filmed. But it has been adapted as a comic book, and there's a YouTube video of the show's cast at Comic-Con doing a live table read of the script (though I think it's actually the comic version they're reading).

14. Guy Gardener

That is so hot.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't know that about Middleman, I'll have to look those after I finish up the DVDs.

16. Guy Gardener

The Upright Citizens brigade Scifi bits were awesome... I can scarcely imagine what a movie of them trying to destroy the world would be like... But then, I just want more Amy Poehler always.

17. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I recall seeing an old black & white pilot with that name.

We don't deliver outside of Arizona. Get off my back!:klingon::p

18. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    One show that hasn't been mentioned yet: Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog. Anyone else remember this? It was sort of a medieval Power Rangers rip-off that ran on Fox Kids for 1 season in the late-1990s. (It was originally supposed to get a 2nd season but, at the last minute, Saban stole its budget for Power Rangers Lost Galaxy instead.) It was a decent show. Unfortunately, they never really had enough money to make it look good. Unlike most of Saban's other shows, they didn't have any pre-existing Japanese footage to build the show around.

Truth be told, I mostly watched the show because Princess Deirdre was cute.;)

Oh, and I just decided to look up what the cast of that show has been up to since it ended back in 1999. Not much as it turns out. EXCEPT that the guy that played Angus, the Mystic Knight of Earth, recently played Lachlan on the 2nd season of Lost Girl.

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Actually I thought it looked great; the production values were much better than those of the Power Rangers shows or their Super Sentai source material. They actually got Foundation Imaging -- then the top digital-FX company in television, responsible for the pioneering work in Babylon 5 and later the CG effects in Deep Space Nine, Voyager, and Enterprise -- to create CGI monsters and effects for the show, which were a lot more sophisticated than anything in the Ranger/Sentai shows at the time. They also did impressive location filming in Ireland itself, had a strong cast of Irish actors, and had pretty smart writing too. It was an astonishingly well-made (and decently-budgeted) show for a Saban production.

The main problem with Mystic Knights was with the action sequences. The weekly swordfights were hampered by the show's inability to depict any real violence, so they were all kind of inconclusive, just going through the motions. And the Knights' battles with the monsters were weak because they didn't interact much; you didn't have anything like a Megazord to battle the monsters directly, so you just had the actors standing around pretending to shoot stuff at a CGI monster in the sky, which wasn't all that interesting or dynamic -- and which tended to be wrapped up very, very quickly. The sequences of the Knights summoning their magic armor often took longer than the battles they armored up for.

So it was a surprisingly good show in every respect except the action, which normally wouldn't bother me, but it was kind of a negative in something that was specifically meant to be an action show.

Really? What source are you using? I've found substantial filmographies for just about all of the main cast on IMDb, mostly Irish or UK productions. In particular, several of them have been in The Tudors.

I hadn't realized that! I thought he looked familiar!

20. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I've been slowlyyyy rewatching Phantom:2040, it really still holds up for the most part. Love the music, characters, world building and detail. Some of the animation is clever, some is a bit iffy, but it's clearly one of the best 2-3 American animated series of the 90s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S3d6G1dt-o

RAMA