Tribble Making

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by CaptainDave1701, Oct 15, 2013.

1. CaptainDave1701

CaptainDave1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I am wondering if anyone out there has made a Tribble using the pattern that is on the main page of Trek Today now. It is different than the original Gerrold pattern and I would imagine give you a more rounded appearence.
    Anyway...I am sort of a Tribble head and for some reason the Tribble prop has been a favorite of mine through the years.

Thanks

2. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Here's a picture of some tribbles I made. It was just using a circle pattern I found on the internet 4 years ago.

They're probably not very scientifically accurate but they do the job :lol:

[​IMG]

3. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I thought this thread was about how Tribbles have sex. Their born pregnant BTW.

Nice Tribbles TUC.

4. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

^^ I always assumed Dr. McCoy's offhand comment about tribbles being "born pregnant" was a joke and not meant to be taken literally.

5. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I used to make tribbles. In fact, the Star Trek club I was part of back in the '80s and '90s was run along the lines of a starship. We did it with a campy twist, however: The person who was Captain also had to hold the post of Assistant Tribble Keeper (nobody ever talks about what happened to the Chief Tribble Keeper; it's classified). One year at the annual summer convention we all attended, some of us decided to play a joke on our Captain. We secretly sewed a few dozen tribbles of various sizes and colors, and made arrangements with some mutual friends in the SCA (quite a few of the Calgary SCA branch also attended the SF convention) to help out.

The idea was that wherever our Captain went throughout the hotel that weekend, there would be someone nearby to hand him a tribble. Since he was the Assistant Tribble Keeper, he was obliged to hold on to them. It didn't stop when the day's panels and other activities stopped; his roommates put tribbles everywhere, including a blue one in the drinks cooler!

6. CaptainDave1701

Here are mine....

[​IMG]

7. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^They look great. I should make some. I have a Star Trek collection but no Tribbles. How can I call myself a Trekkie?

8. CaptainDave1701

Thanks!

I have been making and collecting these for years. I have always been on the lookout for the definitive replica fur but it has eluded me...I have come close though. The grey Tribble is from David Gerrold's Tribble Toys.com. It is OK but I have made better. The sound/vibrate feature on it is way off and annoying.

9. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Well, yours are pretty friggin' excellent!!

10. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

They are really nice.

I just made mine from remnant craft fur.

11. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Around 1974 or 75 after I had finished reading David Gerrolds "behind the scenes" book "The Making of 'The Trouble With Tribbles'", I wanted to make a plush tribble following the directions listed within the volume. It described a rather different pattern, basically a squat number "8", two ovoids attached by a quarter of their circumferences. My dad bought the "fur", but what he got was more akin to a synthetic lamb's wool, not long straighter fibers. Thinking back, I can see why the craftsman suggested the two piece pattern he did; it's better suited for creating a semi-spheroid shape. The pattern I used, if not cut just right, tended to create more sausage type shapes. So two of the three "tribbles" I made wound up looking like woolly dildos!

Sincerely,

Bill

12. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was hoping you were going to say you managed to stuff a bunch in an overhead bin he needed to open.

13. Nebusj

Nebusj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why not? Aphids are fairly well-documented to be born pregnant (parthenogenetically, of course), and many animals are pretty close to that. It's just a small leap to put it into something that seems mammal-like.

14. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

I think at one point you could buy them as toys from the store.

In the late 90s I went to a friend's house with my brother and some others for a party. Hanging from a string in the apartment was what appeared to be a tribble. So I got up and squeezed it. Sure enough it made the tribble noise.

The girl whose apartment it was laughed and said I was the only person to ever know what it was.

15. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    No such luck :(. The aforementioned blue tribble was found guzzling his wine cooler, though. It was blue because of all the ice, poor cold little guy!

16. CaptainDave1701

Thanks all....as there are so many gifted modelers out there that have made Phasers and such the Tribble has been a prop that I can afford to make.

17. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain