Vance's Schematics Color Tests

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Vance, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Vance

Vance Vice Admiral In Memoriam

Well, just to prove I'm not dead, and can do things OTHER than complain, I decided to knock out something I've been planning for ages.. a color test for my schematics. This isn't a huge deal, just the FJ Bulk Container, but it was enough to play with shading and some details that I haven't done before. I'm definately looking for comments on this one.
    [​IMG]

2. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good start! I've played around with coloring your stuff before as well, but I didn't show anything. I suppose you have an advantage since you're working with the original files.

As for critiques, shouldn't the panel lines be on top of the markings? Also, if you're playing around with shading, I'd try playing around with some higher contrast between the shaded and non-shaded areas. What you have now is perhaps a bit too subtle.

3. Vance

Okay, you're right about the panel markings. I realized I was making it rediculously hard to do them right, and just wound up bringing down the brightness in the crossover lines to get the new look. Works MUCH better, I think.

Not sure what you mean about the shading differences, though. You mean the difference between the light and dark hull colors?

4. B.J.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

5. Capt_Jason

Capt_Jason Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

As stated elsewhere mate...this is the stuff us graphically-challenged geeks have been waiting for! Colorized and gradient-ized baby! :bolian:

6. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Commodore

:) very nice i'm looking forwards to more

7. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I was was a little timid with gradients at first too, but higher contrast does make the object look more 3-D when used on surfaces that are supposed to be curved.

Other than that it looks fine.

8. Vance

This one is a little more complex, with more experiments for the windows, sensor dish, and some other niggling details.
    [​IMG]

I was going to look at changing the shading again, but I like the more subtle gradation, to be honest. I'll have to chalk that down to an aesthetic difference, I guess. :)

9. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That is looking very nice looking forward to seeing some ships done up that way
    keep up the great work.

10. Sarvek

Sarvek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I second that! :techman: That is totally great work and the color adds more realism to the designs. Keep them coming. I will also be looking forward to the ships in the same format. :techman:

11. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

Way Cool, Vance!

12. Masao

Masao Commodore Commodore

A few suggestions:

One thing to keep in mind when shading is have a constant light source. Your ventral view correctly shows the light coming from above (ventrally), but your side view seems to be shaded identically, meaning the light is now coming from the side.

Don't be afraid to use greater differences in colors for shading. In some of my drawings, my range of shades is pure black to pure white.

An advanced technique is to vary the darkness (or color) of panel lines depending on the darkness (or color) of the panel. To do this, the line needs to be a very thin rectangular to which a gradient can be applied.

13. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

Not bad... not bad at all.

14. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Welcome back Vance! I was just thinking not long ago how I miss seeing your schematics. Yes, I know you have your website, but I come here more often. Glad all is well and good job on the new color stuff!

15. B.J.

Nice work, and I see you fixed the panel lines & graphics. I may have done things differently myself, but I can understand the choice about the difference in contrast. It might actually work in your favor in this case, since I imagine you'll be using "standard parts" to (re)create your ships. Just remember to be consistent!

16. Vance

BJ Nailed in one, actually. I'm playing it pretty safe with the gradients since I play to use and reuse these parts for various ships. I'm a little concerned that I have a sharp gradient on the warp nacelle (see below), that it won't work elsewhere, or look decidedly off, so I went for a more subtle effect.

That's also why I have the light source as 'from front', regardless of the view being shown. It allows for piece flipping on the many, many ship variants that require it.

Still, though, definately good advice if I finally suck it up and go for some publication in some way. :)

[​IMG]

17. Herbert1

Herbert1 Captain Captain

Really like the color illustrations. Though I have to say that I also like the black line drawings. Your Jaynz's books nicely compliment Franz Joseph's Starfleet Technical Manual. I think of them as other volumes. Any interest in doing a Starfleet Technical Manual volume II?

18. Sean_McCormick

Sean_McCormick Captain Captain

Looks fantastic, the colors really add life to the schematics.

Although i quite like the "technical" look of the black & whites.

19. Vance

That's up to Karen, and I'm not really sure what I would put in it, aside from the K-series starbase, and maybe the two TAS ships, really. I should probably put together something for her, though, with the color stuff, since I'm working on the Saladin at the moment anyway.

20. Vance

Big image is big!

This is the next step of the 'Experiment', an actual ship. Obviously, this is the 'Cage' version of the USS Saladin, with the Humungodish that nearly completely obfuscates the warp engine - oops! Oh well...

Tommorow will likely be a little cleanup, and a quick attempt at the USS Ptolemy.[​IMG]