DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

The incident was sorta deflated by Hal's response. Made it a big, so?

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I intentionally flipped through it to read it after your mention of it.

I agree that Hal's response, coupled with the urgency of the moment that Bruce/Bats just left, made it anti-climatic.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

It shouldn't have happened in the first place though. Bruce could have told his story without unmasking...Hal's dumbness not withstanding. This incident kind of outlines my entire problem with Justice League. I think it was the last straw for me. I know I said I would wait until the opening arc was concluded but this has just been bad for me. I had high expectations and my enjoyment of Johns work in the past gave me no indication that this book would be this bad (although maybe Flashpoint should have been a clue). So far to me only Arthur has been written with any kind of accuracy or genuine attention (which figures since that character is Johns focus right now). Maybe Cyborg since Vic is getting his focus as well. Everyone else just happens to be a caricature of themselves in this thing. Jim Lee's excellent art work alone is not enough for me to justify to keep buying this...so it is going to be dropped. I really did give this all my patience but even it has it's limitations.

4. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I don't mind that it happened. Bats needed to do something to gain Hal's trust. It's Hal's reaction that pops the bubble and makes the whole moment a so what. I'm sure the intent was for a moment of humor, but it fell flat.

5. Admiral_Young

Yeah maybe Hal's response was why I have such a problem with it. Bruce went to great lengths to reach out to this doofus and he got that response.

6. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

It was an okayish scene, but it didn't help that the dialogue was atrocious. Hal going "Who the hell is Bruce Wayne?" makes him seem like an a-hole. Does he say something similar to everyone he meets?

7. Admiral_Young

The way Johns writes Hal in Justice League reminds me of how Bendis writes Peter in Avengers and New Avengers.

8. Captain Craig

My reaction aside from GL's lame response was that this is not a Bruce/Bats trait I recognize either. Bruce has always had an aire about him, for good reason, that he's a bit better than his peers. Especially a young, brash, and reckless GL whose arm was broken and of no real use but insisted on being pig headed till the end.

The Bruce I know wouldn't have, at that moment, during that event chosen to unmask to Hal. He'd have won him over with rationale logic and sheer force of will. Yes, irony intended, is how a great writer would've treated that.

9. Admiral_Young

^ Exactly why I had the reaction I had! No incarnation of Bruce I know would do this. Not even the original. I also realize that it has something to do with the bizarre, goofy way Johns is writing Hal (even movie Hal was not this unlikeable IMO). Oh well...I've ranted enough about Justice League. This was just plain out of character for Bruce Wayne. Morrison would not have done this. I dare say neither would Snyder. Bruce is paranoid to the max and near hyper aware of his surroundings. It wasn't even that dire a situation. Hal was just acting like a moron. Okay okay, I promise no more ranting lol.

10. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Turns out that it is a 12-issue legal drama concerning the custody of Damian in which Batman Incorporated is restructured into a law firm. There will be no superheroics in the series.

I'd lol if that happened.

11. Admiral_Young

It's Morrison, so it would still be awesome! I have read that "Batman Incorporated"is supposed to be "really out there" and include some sci-fi concepts. For some reason I wouldn't be surprised if Bat Mite showed up. I loved how he was used in Batman, RIP.

12. Broccoli

^ Its all misdirection.

13. nvek86

nvek86 Commander Red Shirt

14. Broccoli

It is like Grant Morrison wrote a mundane version of my life.

15. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't mind the unmasking. I was fine with Hal's reaction. What annoyed me was that at the end of the scene Batman runs off to rescue Superman WITHOUT PUTTING HIS COWL BACK ON! Stupid Bruce.

16. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I guess I'm going to join the chorus of people saying that Bruce unmasking like that makes absolutely no god damn sense whatsoever. I think the only reasons I'm still reading Justice League are because 1. It's Justice League 2. It's such a train wreck, I can't look away.

17. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, but Grant Morrison and Paul Dini teamed up a few years back for "The Return of Ras al Ghul," which was, at best, a boring, poorly written storyline. Separately, Morrison's Batman and Dini's Detective Comics were so damned fine Batman stories. Combined, it wasn't really pretty.

I'm not saying that "The Night of Owls" will suck, but sometimes, events tend to take two or more good things and mix them together to create something fairly crappy.

18. Admiral_Young

It was actually called the Resurrection of Ra's al Ghul and I happened to like it. I seem to be the only one though. Most others who have posted about it don't for whatever reason. Some have argued that Morrison was ignoring what the other writers were doing and that there was no cohesion.

I have faith that under Snyder's direction the event will be interesting and successful...it's writers like Daniel and Finch/Jenkins that will hurt this thing if anything.

19. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just think it was an example of two great things coming together to create something that's just not that great. Part of it is that it interrupted the Morrison's storyline, it just seemed so abrupt.

Anyway, Geoff Johns was interviewed about the "Curse of Shazam" back-ups on Newsarama.

So, is it going to be a Captain Marvel, Jr. thing where he can't say his name or else he'll lose his powers?

20. Captain Craig

I dislike abandoning Captain Marvel within the comics. I fully get the "outside comics" people think of his as Shazam and using in that in mass commercial means but abandoning Captain Marvel within the pages disappoints me.