So, I'm examining my job opportunities now that college is over...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by msbae, Jan 21, 2009.

1. msbae

msbae Commodore

...and I'm seriously considering military service.

As for my qualifications that fit with military life... let's see what we have here...

- Utter and complete fealty to my employer. (My references can attest to that one. They would often have to beg me to go home and put whatever project I was working on off to the next day.)

- No ties that will keep me from going wherever I need to go...

- Extremely methodical and efficient in everything I do.

- I don't take crap from anyone.

- I'm really angry at the entire universe... which should help if I ever need to go into combat.

- I do like firearms...

- I like structure in my life too. Without it, I get bored and become listless. That is not good. Like the Hacker's Attitude says, 'boredom and drudgery are evil.'

- I'm not at all happy with the way this War on Terror is being prosecuted and want to do something about that besides writing letters to elected officials.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since I have a college degree, I'm likely to be going in as an officer. Since that degree is highly technical, they'll probably sit me in front of a computer somewhere. I can live with that... I'm not opposed to working as a mechanic in the motor pool or as a sniper, either.

I haven't decided which service I'd enter. I find myself particularly interested in the Marines. Like them, if I do something, I expect myself to do it pretty damn well. Half-assing something just doesn't get it...

Questions, comments, outrageous objections, and Death Threats are both Welcome and Expected.

Supposedly moral objections to military service (aka 'cowardice'), boos, hisses, and other complaints from hard-core lefties are not welcome but, they're still expected.

Let the debate begin...

2. Colonel Green

Colonel Green Vice Admiral Admiral

You will have structure, but if you think military life is free of boredom and drudgery you're in for a BIG surprise. War has often been described as 90% boredom, 10% sheer terror. Drudgery and boredom are the basic staples of military service. If you think it's gonna be like the recruiting ads, you have another thing coming.

That said, I seriously considered joining the navy after my undergrad, but was disqualified because of a previously undiagnosed medical condition.

3. msbae

msbae Commodore

Well, I guess I would have to find something to occupy my time while I 'hurry up and wait.' I'm sure I could always just ask my superiors for something to do...

Sorry to hear you couldn't join. I knew a guy in High School that desperately needed something like the military to shape him up but, his epilepsy disqualified him.

4. Mallory

Mallory Moderator In Memoriam

Glad to hear you're considering it msbae. The military can use all the skilled people they can get.

5. Colonel Green

Colonel Green Vice Admiral Admiral

If the stories my friends in the military tell are any indication, the tasks such a request would result in are the definition of drudgery.

Like the idea of reading over personnel files in search of typos or blank spaces? Cause they ain't gonna tell you to take your platoon out and look for terrorists.

6. Haytil

Haytil Captain Captain

What you're talking about is policy. As a soldier, you will have no impact on policy. The way wars are prosecuted - especially something political like the War on Terror - will be completely out of your control.

You'll likely simply become more frustrated with the way things are, because you'll be seeing their effects quite close and in person.

7. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I just have to ask, why would hard-core lefties be booing and hissing about you going into the military? They may be against the war but I'm hard pressed to think of anyone who actually opposes military service in general.

Anyway, if you think it would be a good lifestyle for you, then do it! I see no reason why you shouldn't join if you feel that your goals would match theirs.

8. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

I say join the Marines. Put some hair on your balls.

9. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

I think this one may be a problem. You'll have to take a lot of crap.

10. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

I'm curious, how late in life is it generally acceptable to join the military? It's not something I want to do now, but I've sometimes wondered if the Air Force might be a possible path down the road sometime if I get board with CS research.

11. Captain Intrepid

Captain Intrepid Vice Admiral Admiral

The military is a good job but it's not for everyone. Just make sure if you do join up, it's what you want. Consider you very well may have to kill people, you'll end up seeing some insanely horrible and gruesome shit, you'll have to take a hell of a lot of crap, and so on and so forth. There are some great benefits though, like the camaraderie high risk professions like the military or the maritime industry (my trade) enjoy. Just make sure you weigh them all very carefully, and sure of your decision before you enlist. Especially considering your country is at kinda war, you don't want to change your mind half way through. I considered a stint in the navy, but decided against it as I value my freedom too much at the moment. There's too much I want to do, and I don't want to commit to be locked in a job for 4 years or more. There's that to consider too.

And this is from a hard core liberal, so your backasswards snippity comments can be shoved somewhere warm damp and dark. :)

12. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

1. If you 'don't take crap from anyone', I can hardly wait until you come face to face with your first Drill Sergeant.

2. As others have stated, war can be quite boring...in between the bouts with sheer terror.

3. As others have ALSO stated, entering the military will not allow you to do one damn thing in terms of how the war is prosecuted. I mean, unless you plan to enter as a General. :lol: No...when you enter the military, it's all ABOUT doing what you are told - whether you like it or not. Whether you 'feel like it' or not. Whether you AGREE with it or not. And with your attitude - that you know best and that you can single handedly change the direction of the war to suit YOU? Well, all I can say is 'good luck with that'. :lol: I'd pay good money to be a fly on the wall during YOUR boot camp. :lol:

4. I resent VERY MUCH your comment that 'lefties' (and by implication, ONLY 'lefties') are opposed to military service.

It IS possible to be against a war and still be very supportive of the military in general. I know that I am - and I am a moderate, politically. I was very much opposed to going in to Afghanistan and Iraq...but I also know that the brave young men and women who went over there deserve our respect. THEY didn't make the policy - they are simply honoring their word. The word they gave when they entered the military. They are doing their duty - often under very trying and/or dangerous circumstances. And for that, they deserve our complete respect and appreciation. Regardless of our feelings about an individual war.

In short, the military is a profession of honor. And contrary to the Bush propaganda that you CLEARLY have bought into - it IS very much possible to be against the war...but nonetheless supportive of the troops sent to fight that war.

5. This last comment is about a subject of great concern. You say you want to enter the military because you are 'mad at the universe'. Why? So you can get a chance to kill people legally or something? So you can get a chance to vent your rage on whoever happens to get in your way in some foreign country?

To me, that comment almost makes you sound like you are imbalanced.

Being 'mad at the world' is not a good reason to join the military. The military requires discipline, self-control, and self-restraint. Not a desire to go out and kill people for kicks, just to vent your rage. Attitudes like that are how war crimes are born. Have you even READ about things like the My Lai Massacre? :eek:

In short, based on what you have written above, I hope the military doesn't take you. As much for their good as for yours.

13. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

Enlist tomorrow, first thing. Anything that will make you post less of your "topics" I'm all for :techman:

14. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

I'm only a Army Reserve Soldier, but have some insight into this.

The #1 thing I would reccomend is reading a lot. find out everything you possibly can before you join. Find out whether the military is really for you, if you can handle the obligations, and what all the options (branches, jobs, etc.) are. Some would disagree, but I would reccomend that you do the majority of this on your own before even talking to a recruiter, who can be biased and pressure you to join before you've assessed your options fully.

There are number of great websties out there. just search in google. It's been a few years since I enlisted, but www.usmilitary.com is pretty good if I recall. Most libraries should have books about joining the military as well.

If you end up really wanting it, go for it. I've been around the country working with some great people, and even went to South Korea this past summer. It's a great oppurtunity, just make sure it's what you want.

Edit: Not only can liberals support the military, they can be Soldiers themselves, like me.

15. msbae

msbae Commodore

Well, oddly enough, I usually like filling out forms. That won't bother me.

16. msbae

msbae Commodore

I'm thinking of the kind of assholes that spit on returning soldiers at airports and call them baby-killers. They aren't as prevalent (or, at least not in the news media as much) as during Vietnam but, they do exist.

Also, it's worth noting that one of my consiglieres happens to be a hardcore left-winger and he's the one who made the suggestion.

Yes, I know. However, they might be more willing to listen to me on this subject if I have some first hand experience and a uniform. That would make me more of a subject matter expert.

1.) I'm not opposed to shooting a terrorist. They deserve it anyway.

2.) I have already seen more horrible and gruesome shit than I care to discuss, mostly for everyone else's benefit. I'm not easily disturbed but, other people sure seem to be... I don't feel like having to type all that stuff anyway.

3.) I came very close to enlisting with the Marines in my senior year of High School and have kicked myself for not doing it ever since. While it's true that I couldn't have known that 9/11 would happen about 3 months after my HS graduation, it still didn't feel right NOT serving somehow. It became one of those many things my conscience bothered me about over the years.

4.) As for all the crap I'd have to deal with in the service, I'm not all that concerned. I've dealt with similar crap in the contracting business.

Also, I spent my formative years playing the part of a Folk Devil that's blamed for numerous moral panics. I'm used to getting yelled at and releasing my anger in a constructive way. I'm sure I can handle a drill sergeant. Finally, the reason Drill Sergeants yell and give you hell is so the service can break and remold you into a soldier. It's for my benefit. Since I know this, I won't take his 'giving me hell' personally...

17. msbae

msbae Commodore

Don't count on it...

18. msbae

msbae Commodore

I've already consulted with an old friend who spent a few years in the Marines. She seems supportive of the idea of my enlisting in the service. She has also known me personally for over a decade so, she ought to have some insight into what I would be suited for...

I've also discussed this with my best friend over the phone earlier tonight. He recommended the Air Force since they're so technical and also because of the experiences of his brother-in-law. That man is some kind of IT security expert for the Air Force and makes 6 figures a year. He's also career military, to the best of my knowledge.

19. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I hear the SS is hiring. Oh, wait, that was in 1938. How about the Cardassian Third Order? Nope, sorry again, that's in the 24th century.

It's a shame you couldn't make it through the entire post without this example of douchebaggery. I'm sure some people would have taken your comments a lot more seriously.

Also, are you under the impression that it's 1969?