What genre should be popular next?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by RoJoHen, Oct 18, 2010.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Vampires...zombies...these have been the big things lately. What genre do you want to see become popular in the near future?

Frankly, I would really like to see a resurgence of dinosaur movies! I feel like dinosaurs aren't cool anymore, and that breaks my childhood heart.

2. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

androids, robots, possibly humanoid androids ala gynoid, a fictional type of cyborg ala Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

3. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

anyone remember the old 'Dinosaurs Attack!' card series? they should make a movie of that. just a gory, cheap excuse for a movie. it would be fun.

4. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I'd be happy with a resurgence of dinosaur movies. But what I'd really like to see is giant monster movies make a return. I thought we'd see more with the success of Cloverfield, which I really liked, but despite the low budget "Monsters" due out next month and a new Godzilla movie in 2012 there really hasn't been a resurgence of giant monster movies.

5. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

Historicaly accurate action films need to return. Examples:"Dances With Wolves", "Last of the Mohechans","The Patriot", "Master and Comander". I also want more brainless action films like "The A Team" "Indy Jones", BTTF. By brainless I mean there shouldn't be some elaborate plot or any thought to it just good guy, bad guy, stop bad guy and have a few laughs. I'm not saying the movies have to be reatarted, there should some substance. I also want to see brainless comedies like Dazed and Confused, Dude Where's My Car, Hot Tub Time Machine, Half Baked, The Hangover. I think we have some of that, but where's the Wayne and Garth and Bill and Ted's of the new millennium?

6. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Anything but angst ridden teenage vampires - please. My wife is tiring of my angry tirades whenever a said show airs!

7. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

Amen brotha

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, obviously. I didn't ask what genre should continue to be popular.

9. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Dinosaur are not really my thing. What I would really love to see would be finally the breakthrough of Super Robots on the silver screen: Mazinger, Grendizer, Voltron, Daitarn 3, what-you-have. Big, loud and stupid, maybe; but they were the bread-and-butter of my afternoons when I was a kid and it would be great to see them at the theatre. After the box-office success of Transformers, there have been some rumours about it, but nothing materialized so far.

Is there some kind of humour at work here? Because I surely hope so. :p

10. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

I'd like to see a resurgence of space opera movies.. larger than life SF movies set in space with tons of cool spaceships, aliens and dashing heroes (get Ryan Reynolds to play Han Solo's nephew or son :lol:).

We need our own generations' original Star Wars... something that will define our cinema this decade and on.

Barring that i wouldn't mind the continuence of serious Fantasy movies like Lord of the Rings.. Narnia and The Golden Compass just seemed too much like fairy tales for kids to me.

11. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Game of Thrones on HBO next year... 'nuff said. :techman:

12. 777

777 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I would love to see more movies with dragons. At least we will get that with the Hobbit :techman:

13. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

No joke my friend, problem with those movies? I'm not saying those people existed, but the accuracy of what they are trying to convey is pretty good, especially the Patriot and Last of the Mohichans.

14. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

Some space opera would be nice especially if it's an adaptation of an Alastair Reynolds novel.

15. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Whatever became of all those straight-to-video and straight-to-DVD skin flicks? Did the internet kill them?

Could we get a big budget skin flick with Scarlett Johansson, Anne Hathaway and Kate Beckinsale running around naked for half the movie? :)

16. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

They could all star in a remake of Lifeforce! ^^^

17. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

Either space opera or, barring that, fantasy. Which I noticed someone else basically said already.

Vampires have never, ever done it for me. Neither have zombies, and I know that's going to get me some evil stares. But it's true. In fact, I have to say, nothing that's ever been huge has ever done it for me...

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'd like more high adventure 1930s movies like Indiana Jones, Sky Captain, Crimson Skies, etc. And turn of the century steam punk like League Gentlemen or Wild Wild West.

19. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm surprised Pirates never really took off a few years ago. I know it kinda did within student culture, but I was really expecting Sinbad, Treasure Island etc remakes to be cropping up.

20. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

^
    Give it time. :lol: