What's Up with the Warp Core (SPOILERS Into Darkness)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Brent, May 17, 2013.

1. malchya

malchya Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've only ever had a problem with one engine room from Trek: the '09 brewery. I've worked in a brewery, so it just made me laugh and I couldn't see it as anything else. The new warp core is excellent! I loved the exterior; my new favorite engine "set" for a starship. I wasn't even overly bothered by the few brief glimpses of the brewery this time out. Though both my daughter and I laughed a bit at the "overflowing" vat as they ran past. That's what happens when you shake beer too much! But it didn't jar me like it did in '09.

2. Chensams

Chensams Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll give it one thing: it looks complicated as hell. No more of LaForge taping a touch screen a couple of times and you're good to go.

3. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

The one in the refit enterprise was better because it looked like something was actually swirling inside. I don't know why they couldn't just duplicate that for TNG.

4. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They probably could have - heck, they probably could've kept the existing core. I suspect that they didn't want it to look exactly the same, even if they were using the same framework for the set. Much like how the corridors at least got new carpeting and paint.

The new one did have at least one advantage: they could make it go into "more power" mode and move the blinkies faster. Added drama. ;)

5. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

"What's with all this churning and bubbling? You call this Radar?"

"No sir, we call it... 'Mr. Coffee.' Care for some?"

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It was a pretty complicated lighting effect using specialized and proprietary equipment. It wasn't a simple thing to duplicate, and may have been too costly for a TV budget. Sure, Voyager eventually managed to create a similar effect, but close inspection suggests it's a simpler approximation.

7. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I had no problem with the brewery engine room. JJ went out to set a sense of scale within the uss supersize, and I liked it.

The new addition of the realistic to today's standards of science and engineering, worked well, however, looked a little small compared to the rest of the enterprise.

The interior, however, was an amazing set/location scene. Just looked advanced yet basic, and the scene with the kicks just seemed to last forever.

I liked it.

"Miners not Minors." ;)

8. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I couldn't help it, I loved that scene. :lol:

9. Classic Fan

Out of the entire film, the master piece that is Galaxy Quest, the best Star Trek movie never made, it was Alan Rickmans delivery of that line that cracked me up the most.

10. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Nipicking fans and J.J. haters never give up. They never surrender.

11. Classic Fan

LOL.

Thing is, JJ is hiding the real warp core in the brewery somewhere, just as uhura and kirk are making their way to the real 'what trekkies want' core, paramount drops the movies. Lol.

Btw, Carl Spock lives. :) I remember the TOS caption contest years ago. Can't believe you have him as your avatar still.

What ever happened to shatmandu? He kinda disapeared.

12. cooleddie74

Carl Spock is like a pair of jeans or a baggy t-shirt. He'll never go out of style. He's better than all of us combined.

Shatmandu? I'm still wondering about that myself. I miss that guy. If another poster knows how he's been doing they haven't posted anything that I'm aware of.

13. Classic Fan

Carl Spock. Just can't get over him still around. Must be what, four or five years ago now? Mental.

Just made my evening seeing that.

Shatmandu was a breath of fresh air in the TOS forum and random other forums. He was 'out there' to say the least. I remember his posts and caption contests became far apart gradually and then just didnt come back from wherever he went.

So from Cooleddie74 and Classic Fan we need to start a search for Shatmandu

If you're out there, we miss you and want you back. :techman:

14. sj4iy

sj4iy Commander Red Shirt

My husband is a nuclear engineer, and he is absolutely in love with the new design. He wants a model of it as a present.

15. cooleddie74

Trek BBS III: The Search for Shatmandu

"Thread....out of danger?"

"You saved the caption thread. You entertained us all. Don't you remember?"

(finally remembers who we are)

"Cooleddie. Your name....is Cooleddie."

(Alexander Courage theme swells....we all group together and hug)

And the Insanity Continues.....

16. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I wonder how NIF was affected by the shoot.

17. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Personally, I like this "design". I like the realism and "raw" feel of it. That said, I like all of the other engine rooms on any Enterprise, except the core itself on 1701-E (the lights on it just look silly).

18. ATimson

My understanding from the press releases was that it occurred during planned downtime anyways, and that if they had to do any cleanup/repairs, the production paid for them.

19. cooleddie74

Rewatched the film earlier today and while I still think main engineering is way too big and looks too much like a 20th century chemical plant or beer brewery I'm liking the redesigned, alternate timeline warp core more and more. It has a more realistic, practical feel to it than the glossier, sleeker and more sterile warp cores of the Prime Starfleet we've seen over the decades. This is a warp core that shouts "raw power" and you can believe that this thing can propel a starship much faster than the speed of light.

20. ATimson

A zappy electric arc doesn't shout "raw power" to me, it shouts "wiring mistake". :p

I think they went too far in the "realistic" direction; this is a power source that's supposed to be driven by matter, antimatter, and dilithium. None of those were involved in what we saw. I think going with something more fantastic, something that doesn't look like something we can build, would've worked better.

You then have the question of "well, what can Kirk kick?". ;) Maybe they could've had something that looks like the TMP warp core (inside that outer "realistic" NIF set - radiation shielding?), and he needed to reseat the dilithium before the reaction could restart.