5x10 Vincent and the Doctor (Grading/Discussion) SPOILERS!!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Count Zero, Jun 5, 2010.

?

What's your verdict?

1. Excellent

63.3%
  2. Good

28.5%
  3. Average

2.5%
  4. Meh

3.8%
  5. I'd rather cut off my ear

1.9%
  1. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

An awesome ep and who gives a shit about the monster aspect of it? In fact, I'd have been just as happy if there'd been no monster at all, because a show about fucking time travel should not require a monster to be awesome.

The monster was only there to placate those who think Doctor Who can't be
    "Doctor Who" unless there's a monster in it. I'd like to think that with all the Hartnell refs over the season, that we might see a return to some regular, non-monster, period pieces. It's about time this show revisited it's roots again, as the Doctor Who: Monster Hunter aspect has grown cliche and they need to shake it up by doing something different than just "monster of the week" stuff.

If this show "is for eleven year olds" then it's time to grow it up a bit.

Also....well said Kaijima!! :)

2. CaptainPipcard

CaptainPipcard Lieutenant Red Shirt

Imagine if Van Gogh painted the time vortex (like it looks in the current title sequence)

"The Lodger" is being delayed for a week. That means four weeks until the finale in America. :(

3. HighteeHeller

HighteeHeller Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Every time i come into this thread i cry. Ugh.

Well said indeed, Kaijima!

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Watched it again on BBCA. Still got misty eyed at the end as did my wife.

Maybe its just me, but I thought Vincent (and the actor who played him) bore a slight resemblance to Rory ( and the actor who plays him). Perhaps Amy has a type.

5. BenRoethig

BenRoethig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

One slightly funny little tidbit from the DW confidential. If you notice, the curator of the L.A. museum specifically avoids saying van gogh's last name. Probably because the difference of how van gogh is pronounced.

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Yeah that really threw me in the episode. I thought it was "Van-Go", not "Van-Gawfck" :p

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

In the US, I don't think I've ever heard anything but Van Go. See, Dr Who is educational!

8. The Comedian

The Comedian Captain Captain

Wife, who's German, insists "Gogh" is prounounced like the Klingon "gagh".

9. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

10. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

It was mostly good, except for the "Ultimate Ginge" line. Because that is utter bullshit. Who does she think she is? Donna Noble? I don't think so. Amy is ok ... well, she's miles better than Rose or Mopey Martha, but Donna Noble was the ultimate companion, and the ultimate ginger. Amy is only second best.

11. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Right. Because, of course, Amy even knows who Donna was. And she certainly wasn't just saying that as a gag, as a little inside joke between her and the Doctor. No, she clearly thinks she's a better redhead than anyone else in the history of ever.

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Turlough is the ultimate ginge.

13. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Wouldnt it be nice to have Turlough reappear claiming the right of Ultimate Ginge of the Universe.

14. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Awesome episode. The final scene nearly made me cry. And I'm not one to tear up easily. Curtis knocked this one out of the park.

And Amy Pond is my queen of all the gingers, so there! :p

15. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"There can be only one!"

16. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

I've said this before (on io9) and I'll say it again.

Vincent and the Doctor is the best episode not only of season 5, but of the entire revival. I can't speak for the old series because I've only seen the Genesis of the Daleks, but I seriously doubt anything could top it. I mean it ranks above almost every single episode of all three Stargate series, all five Star Trek series, and every piece of Star Wars to flow down the tube in my book.

17. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hmm. I don't know. Personally, I still think "Human Nature"/"The Family of Blood" beats it. And my personal favorite remains "The Girl in the Fireplace." But we're pretty much comparing one form of perfection to another at this point. ;)

18. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

I have never understood the love for the Girl in the Fireplace. Never.

The scene of Vincent in the museum is worth more than the whole of GitF.

Well, that's my opinion. I know I'm in the minority on that one.

Mind you, while I rate V&tD highly, I dunno, there's a couple of good TNG eps in s5 and 6. But it's definitely one of, if not the, best Who eps.

19. DAK

DAK Admiral Admiral

Hah, nope, you're not alone in that opinion. :techman: I didn't like GitF either. I also didn't like the Family of Blood two-parter, which also seems to be universally loved around here.

20. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

That might be a good topic for a different thread, if it hasn't been covered recently: episodes with near universal acclaim, which you personally (the poster, not necessarily you, DAK) don't care for. It's a pretty standard topic but can generate good discussion if handled properly.