Lord of the Rings deleted scenes not used in extended editions

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Candlelight, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Just found this list on Wikipedia:

I had heard about some of these but not all. Hope we do see them on Blu-Ray as the article suggests, would be interesting to see Aragorn's death.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings_film_trilogy#Deleted_scenes

2. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

^I already own the 12 disc box set but if I do buy a Blue Ray player when I get back home this may go on my list. I always loving seeing deleted scenes. My wife will probably kill me, but such is life.

3. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

Even more deleted scenes

4. FredH

FredH Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Don't forget the even more extended "celebration in the bedroom" scene, which now also includes separate entrances and jumping-onto-the-bed by:

5. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I always want Boromir to come in and be like "FOOOOLED YOOOUU!" :guffaw:

6. mythme

mythme Commodore Commodore

The only thing listed that I really miss was Sam and the Watchers. You can see him pass by them as he enters Cirith Ungol in the film, which makes it more frustrating knowing that a scene was cut.

A mention that Legolas took Gimli with him as he went over Sea would have been nice too.

7. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

One slight omission from the wiki list also comes from the teaser for ROTK. In the lsit it mentions:
    "A conversation between Elrond and Arwen in a library in Rivendell, after Arwen decides to wait for Aragorn. Elrond leaves, saying, "You gave away your life's grace. I cannot protect you anymore."[30]

However, in the teaser, the line "You gave away your life's grace. I cannot protect you anymore." is spoken over a shot of Arwen standing on a bridge in Rivendell, while Elrond is in the foreground walking away. Presumably the scene is near his study. In context, it would come right after Arwen confronts Elrond, having had her vision of Aragorn and their son.

8. Augustus

Augustus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

bahaha

Will anyone ever make a Spaceballs type parody of LOTR?

9. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol:

..and bonus points for using the circumflex! :D
    [​IMG]

10. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I've never been able to reconcile the big set battles and grand vistas with all the utter pap he managed to draw out into a seemingly endless sequence. If I never again see two people gazing at each other mistily, with a giant orchestral soundtrack, it'll be too soon

11. Neroon

I can never remember the key combination to produce that. :(

12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I rather suspect the "Arwen meets a beardless Aragorn" scene may make it into the second GDT Hobbit film, if indeed it's going to bridge to the trilogy.

13. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I saw them and thought "sweet!".

Then CUT to him inside the fortress. Darn.

14. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is there anyone here who actually likes the original, theatrical versions? There IS some appeal in being able to sit through the entire thing in one day. Couple years back, some friends and I tried to marathon the three EE films. I'm still not on speaking terms with some of them...

Mark

15. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

All movies have extra scenes that are cut for a reason... The extended versions are long enough (& great), just let it be.

Many of the 'missing scenes' are also alternate takes that had to be discarded or reshot when the script was rewritten (much of Arwen's stuff), so it cannot be reincorporated into the film anyway,

16. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

Those are the only versions I've seen, actually. I even bought the EE of ROTK and then returned it to the store unopened because I got laid off work and needed the money more. At some point I got tired of the LOTR trilogy and said, someday I'll revisit them in the Extended Editions.

I did cheat and rewatched parts of ROTK on cable, though.

17. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I enjoyed the extended versions. A couple friends and I actually marathoned the EE this past summer, and it was easier than I thought it was.

18. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Crazy people. The closest I ever managed was one EE a day over a long weekend. Even that was somewhat exhausting.

19. Neroon

Every year I somehow manage to set aside a day to watch all three EE versions. :D

20. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

I did both EEs of FotR and TTT in between showings of RotK on the day it opened lol... went to the midnight show then watchd them in the afternoon before an evening show. I'll have to give all three a try sometime. :D
    [​IMG]