the ceiling of Kirk`s Bridge - transparent?

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by xvicente, May 21, 2013.

1. xvicente

xvicente Captain Captain

Inspired by some incredibly neat pieces of computer art in this forum (you know what I'm talking about), I am starting to build a model of the Enterprise.

It will not be accurate as I don't have nearly a bit of the skill necessary but why not? (I'll be using Pov-Ray)

So. Is the top of the bridge (deck 0?) supposed to be transparent? All these years I saw it emitting light as is(are) the filming model(s), but now I wonder, the opening scene in The Menagerie/The Cage shows a camera zoom from space into the bridge, that I always thought was a visual language not to be taken literally, and the "real" exterior would be some kind of device that emmits light, like an active sensor antenna or other technobabble. But all windows in the model shine the same white light too, maybe it is supposed to be a big round skylight?

2. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

The bridge dome is too tempting a target for enemy ships as it is - no need to advertise for their sensors exactly where the ship's command staff is inside it. Shields or not, two or three well-aimed torpedoes right on top of a transparent dome and that crew's breathing vacuum.

3. xvicente

xvicente Captain Captain

you mean, like Picard's Enterprise? :rommie:

[​IMG]

4. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

In TAS the intruder control sphere is there. In TMP, there's a green dome hanging downward.

5. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

6. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

make it one of those materials that can change its transparency based on running an electrical charge through it. Even the densest and strongest materials are still mostly nothing after all. I see no reason for them not to be able to hit a button and turn the whole ship transparent.

7. xvicente

xvicente Captain Captain

Good catch. Really. I supposed the real set didn't have a ceiling because of lightning equipment and such.

8. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

I believe your assumption to be correct (and Albertese has provided evidence).

This is a good occasion to mention another, similar "offender", i.e. the original TOS footage of the shuttlebay.

If you were to take the angle and position of the miniature filming camera literally, you'd have a rather hollow engineering hull. On the other hand, had the shot been taken from the observation corridor facing the stern, we would not have been able to see the shuttlebay in all its glory.

Just like the shot in "The Cage" established the position of the bridge for (yet unfamiliar) audiences, I believe the same applied for the shuttlebay and shouldn't be taken too literally (add to this that Matt Jefferies' sketch would support such an assumption).

Bob

9. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This :)

I'd say like the TMP Enterprise, there was something above the bridge like a sensor or some other opaque structure. From the outside, the glowy dome is just that, a glowy translucent dome.

10. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

This isn't canon, but this is how I've always imagined it. All that light on the bridge has to come from somewhere.

[​IMG]

11. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like that idea great work by the way :techman::techman::techman::techman::techman:

12. Robert Comsol

Hmm...it may not be canon in the sense that we did see it, but also it's not necessarily a contradiction, because the shot with the noticable ceiling is from the second pilot film and therefore before the Bridge underwent several upgrades and changes.

Thus, for the regular series, the inner Bridge dome may have looked like what you designed, we just never got to see it. ;)

Bob

13. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

@Donny - it looks great but I think it is missing the forward "notch" on the ceiling to complete it :)

14. xvicente

xvicente Captain Captain

That your work? sweet.

My version is simpler:p:

[​IMG]
    bridge por vicentox1999, no Flickr

p.s. can someone point me a picture/screenshot of the bridge from above? I think it was in the beginning of an episode but I cant remember which one.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  15. Donny

Bah! I keep forgetting to add that piece! You're the second person to point that out.

Thank you, and yes, you can check out my thread by clicking here.

That would be from The Galileo Seven.
    [​IMG]

16. Donny

But then again, there is this shot from Is There In Truth No Beauty?. Obviously, where the bridge segment tops meet to form the "half-dome", the ceiling then shoots 90 degrees upward in a cylindrical fashion. This makes my version non-canon.

[​IMG]

17. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

That was always my take on the "through-the-dome" shot at the beginning of "The Cage." It was meant to give viewers an idea of the size of the ship and the location of the bridge -- not to be taken as a literal transparent ceiling, but more like Superman's X-ray vision.

FJ's blueprints have a sensor platform under the bridge dome and another sensor platform above the saucer's bottom dome.

At the time TOS was produced, most movie and TV filming sets didn't have ceilings. With today's smaller and more maneuverable cameras, lower light requirements, and a trend toward greater realism, some sets are built with ceilings, though AFAIK many sets are still completely open at the top for lighting.

Does anyone with experience in the industry have more detailed knowledge of this subject?

That's assuming they would want to.

18. Robert Comsol

Oops...I overlooked this one. However, in contrast to the one from the pilot it rather looks like an added (unfolded "Forbidden Planet" style?) structure than permanently attached, but that's probably owed to the hectic of production, so we might not need to take it literally, necessarily.

Bob

19. xvicente

xvicente Captain Captain

20. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

They also reuse the shot in "The Lights of Zetar."

[​IMG]