Star Wars Episode 7 - 2015

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Back when the Prequel Trilogy came out they handled it with a lot of handwaving (Ruusan Reformation) or just straight up rewriting the canon around the decanonized stuff so it still fit. They've also had to do this yet again to accomodate the Clone Wars cartoon.

So more of the same, I suspect. The EU's always existed on that kind of suffrage, that a major Star Wars production could bulldoze through its narrative logic at any moment, so I can't say they're that unprepared.

2. The Super Brando

The Super Brando Commander Red Shirt

My big question is will they use the original cast? If so then I guess the story would pick up 20-30 years after ROTJ. I'd love to see that. Luke as the wisened old Obi Wan type character leading the new Jedi Order. Leia some bigshot political leader. Han being a grizzled old badass.

Or would they actually recast these characters?

3. Slurms MacKenzi

Slurms MacKenzi Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I've been a Star Wars fan for all 34 years of my existence. I remember the dark times, where being a fan meant you were out in the wilderness. I remember the announcement of the prequels.

This, IMHO, is great news. What's the alternative? Lucas dies and a hack takes over?

Instead we have Kathleen Kennedy, co-founder of Amblin Entertainment and friend of Lucas running Lucasfilm with Lucas writing treatments for new movies. Spielberg, who worked on Episode III, may even direct Episode VII (though that's speculation).

This is not the Empire co-opting the Rebels--this is Star Wars getting a solid benefactor with Lucas ensuring the franchise continues with his vision. Great news.

4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Disney to Acquire Lucasfilm

You know, I got mixed feelings about this. I kind of like the fact that Lucas has stayed true to his word and not done any more movies after ROTS. It seems sad and cheap that as soon as someone else obtains the rights to Star Wars, they jump in and waste no time getting a new movie ready. I'm actually afraid Star Wars id going to get diluted.

But, on the other hand, new Star Wars! Even if it's crap, nothing beats the rush of seeing a new Star Wars film in theatres.

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I think the sequel trilogy should be about a new group of characters, but I would love to see the the original Luke, Leia, and Han pop up in cameos. Maybe leaders of a new Jedi council or something.

I am completely unfamiliar with the EU, so I don't know what they're actually up to.

6. Hunter X

Hunter X Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If the new film has anything to do with the EU, aside from some little in-jokes or shout outs that are meant to be cute but the "hardcore" fans will find infuriating, I'll stand on my head through the entire movie. And as much as I liked the EU back when I read the novels, I say more power to a new telling of the story.

7. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I remember when this hit in the fall of 1998, right after my dad passed away and things that reconnected me to my family and childhood had more meaning than ever before. He had wanted to see it before he died and thankfully I got to see all three prequels with my mom before her own premature passing about ten years later.

But for a few moments in the autumn of '98 I was a little kid again and reliving the wonder of a new Star Wars film with a parent smiling on as I watched.

Say what you want about Episode I as an actual film...this teaser kicked more ass than a company of Green Berets.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6hOlI9cg4o[/yt]

8. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Aaaand up until I read that, I was actually excited about this news. Come on Death, get to reaping already.

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Not cool.

Besides, Lucas is great for coming up with story ideas. It's writing dialogue and directing actors that he's not so good at anymore.

10. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lucas being involved with the broad story beats is pretty much the best kind of news for me. Lucas was good at shaping out the general direction of the Star Wars films and I think that involvement is a level of continuity with the previous six pictures that is worthwhile.

If we just want space opera movies without Lucas, let's, I don't know, go watch Abrams' next Star Trek film (which obviously we're going to do anyway but you catch my drift).

Also I think you probably could have made good films out of the prequels if Lucas had written the treatments. There's good ideas in there for movies that could have been teased out and gone in interesting directions with the right creative talent.

11. Slurms MacKenzi

Slurms MacKenzi Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Come on, Lucas wrote the story (and early drafts) for Empire Strikes Back, the best movie of the lot.

12. Mutara Nebula 1967

Mutara Nebula 1967 Captain Captain

THis is great news BUT...I just can't imagine a STAR WARS movie NOT starting with the FOX FANFARE and the the searchlights logo...I just can't!

13. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Disney to Acquire Lucasfilm

This is a relevant time to repost one of my old favorites, isn't it? It's gotta be. Shucks, damn the ion cannons, here goes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Skywalker

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tHKoP68WQQ[/yt]

That didn't take long.

15. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Can't Disney release the films through 20th Century Fox and keep the normal iconic openings for the new movies? Just because Disney owns them doesn't mean they won't contract with Fox to release the new Trilogy and keep the classic openings intact.

After all, Fox didn't make the first six movies...Lucasfilm Ltd. did. Lucas just released them through Fox.

16. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Except the prequel trilogy completely obliterates that for me. They were dreadful, especially the overall story arc and concepts. "Behold a 6th grader's take on a government system thought up by a 3rd grader in action! Thrill at the excitement of watching a bunch of old guys sitting around cryptically saying philosophical bullshit that would make the aforementioned 3rd and 6th graders wince in agony! Delight in the budding romance of a whiny twat and his intentionally-directed plank of wood girlfriend! And not only do you get to revel in the cunning Gungans, but you also get to see Yoda hop around like a kung fu jackass despite all his preaching about not needing to resort to such theatrics in the previous trilogy! Oh, and Midochlorians, too. Oops, I almost forgot, be shocked to learn that Boba Fett isn't just one bounty hunter, but an entire army!"

Just... ugh.

17. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wouldn't that be ridiculous?

18. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree.

19. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll ask this question again: why would Disney now owning Lucasfilm suddenly mean a change in either the overall creative direction of the SW franchise or in the way SW is/has been distributed? As myself and one other person have already said, Lucasfilm will remain an autonomous entity, albeit under the broader Disney Corporation umbrella, and if Disney didn't insist that all of its 'in-house' Marvel Comics productions be produced/distributed under the Walt Disney Pictures banner (which is only one of several studio labels under its umbrella [see below for the full list]), why would it do so for the SW films?

Since I mentioned above that Walt Disney Pictures is only one of several studio labels under the Disney Corporation umbrella, here's the full list of said studios:
    Walt Disney Pictures
    Pixar Animation Studios
    Disney Toon Studios
    Disneynature
    Marvel Studios
    Touchstone Pictures (with DreamWorks Studios as a subsidiary)
    ESPN Films
    Studio Ghibi (North America)
    Lucasfilm

20. Skywalker

So when are we going to get crossover movies? I want to know if Captain America's shield can stop a lightsaber. :p