Spider-Man movie (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

This might be cruel to say, but I think after his son died so did a part of Jeph Loeb's soul.

2. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Shit... Never occurred to me. Sad now. :(

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that's a good point. I'd forgotten about that. :(

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah a lot of fans think his writing hasn't been the same since Sam Loeb died...the quality hasn't been there since that happened that's for sure. It is very sad indeed.

5. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

6. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting comments from Robbie Collins who is the film critic for The Telegraph after watching the film:

https://twitter.com/#!/robbiereviews

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

8. Admiral James Kirk

You and I have very different ideas as to what constitutes a compliment. :lol:

When you say Twilight I think of a badly written, poorly acted and shoddily produced sack of crap aimed at broads whose idea of a hot date is a Hillshire Farm Polska Kielbasa.

9. Admiral_Young

I think by "Twilight" the review means that it is reminiscent of the relationship stuff that is a trademark of that franchise. It seems to have become the normal description of that type of emotional character story now, good or bad. Still...probably not a comparison descriptor a Spider-Man fan wants to read or hear about lol. Nor a Marc Webb fan for that matter. I still look at what he stated as positive.

10. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

This. As for me, the previews for this movie just haven't done it for me. To my eyes it looks... cheap compared to the Raimi movies. I just can't build any enthusiasm for this movie. The "Twilight" comparisons don't help.

11. Admiral James Kirk

Don't get me wrong, I am excited about this movie. It's just the Twilight comparison I wasn't thrilled with. :D

12. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

The one who said: "The origin stuff is just blah, then gets better."

Duh, you don't improve on Stan's origin--it works for a reason(s). That was a no brainer.

Also, I'm sorry no comparison to Twilight is a good thing.

13. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Loeb's decline goes back further than his son's death. I don't disagree that Sam's death was a blow -- the earlier poster who said he lost "a part of his soul" is, I think, not unfair -- but I really think that the real turning point for Loeb was Archie Goodwin's death in 1998. Loeb lost a collaborator who was willing and able to push him, and his work after Goodwin (such as Dark Victory, the Marvel "color" books, Superman/Batman) has moments of brilliance, but those moments are like the needle in the proverbial haystack.

Also, and some may find this a heretical viewpoint, I think that Loeb and Sale reached their peak with A Superman for All Seasons and they should have let their collaboration go because it's been diminishing returns since. (Though the zero issue of Captain America: White showed some real promise, even if the series itself has been MIA for years.)

14. JoeZhang

It's a quote.

15. Admiral James Kirk

I'm aware.

16. JoeZhang

17. davejames

Total Film gives it 4 out of 5:

http://www.totalfilm.com/reviews/cinema/the-amazing-spider-man

It's still early, but most of the reviews seem to be saying the same thing-- the casting and action are great, but the origin story is a little dull and "been there, done that".

Which is pretty much the impression I was getting from the trailers.

18. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

19. davejames

Apparently the score is supposed to be really strong as well, with one of the best superhero themes we've heard in a while.

Very cool, if true.

20. Admiral_Young

The score has leaked and is available on youtube. It's pretty impressive, and I wasn't expecting it to be from James Horner. There are a few repeated cues as is the case from Horner, but nothing overt this time like his "Avatar" score. Here's the link to the first track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Onip5bpd3C0