Steam Sale (expected to) Starts Today

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Bob The Skutter, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm only at like 6 years... and... well:

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $3615.48
    • Games owned: 311
    • Games not played: 201
    • Percentage: 65%
    • Hours spent: 1,577.4h
    I'm kind of a sucker. There's the people with no patience that buy stuff as soon as it hits, but actually play it and get value out of it. There's the people with patience that pretty much only buy what they are going to actually pay, and they make out like bandits on Steam. Someone like me ends up spending about what they'd pay if they just bought the games they really wanted to play right as they release, but has to wait, and ends up with a bunch of unplayed games. If I'm being honest here instead of talking about how I am going to get to my backlog I should really just show more restraint on these sales.

My GOG.com list is starting to grow as well. Buying lots of games for the second time there when they have sales. But when you think about it, it's probably worth it to spend 3 bucks for someone to have an installer and DOSBox settings than to bother doing it yourself.

Anyway, did finally craft a badge. 100XP and... that's pretty much it? I don't know I read the FAQ page for the trading cards and I sort of understand it better. A little. Seems like quite a grind to get to level 50, but then you'll get a much better drop rate for the good stuff? Last I checked the cards for the Summer Sale are really cheap, but uhh, they're about to stop dropping for all time so... spend life savings to buy all cards right now... sell down the road once rest of supply dries up... become first Steam marketplace millionaire?

Picked up Rogue Legacy from their site as well. Too new to get any Steam Sale love, but the developer's site has it for 3 bucks off (for the next 21 hours or so) and well... It just looks too damned awesome so I had to do it. Figured I'd mention it in case anyone had been hoping for a Steam discount during the sale.

2. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $3975.97
    • Games owned: 341
    • Games not played: 71
    • Percentage: 21%
    • Hours spent: 345.6h

I believe the grind really hits after level 10, actually. I am at level 10 now, but I've noticed hardly anyone is much past that. Highest I've seen so far is 13. I think past that point you have to start paying actual money for cards to complete every game's set, and complete it multiple times for more XP boosts.

I completed the Summer Sale badge without really trying. Just picked up enough card drops to do it through votes and buying, so I figured what the hell.

My backlog is so big I should probably feel bad.

3. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bloody hell, what's wrong with you people?! :p
    Worth: €380.74
    Games owned: 27
    Games not played: 3
    Percentage: 11%
    Hours spent: 821.4h
    That's a frugal 46 cents per hour of entertainment.

I guess I'm not much of an impulse buyer by nature, but this was the first big Steam sale in the last few years where I didn't buy anything. I was tempted by XCOM, but there's a bunch of games I know I'm going to want to play first over the next few months, so I reasoned that I was better off waiting until one of the holiday sales when the price might be lower.

4. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I actually felt this sale had some really good deals that were really hard to resist, but I suppose that would depend on what one is looking for. Despite the pull though, I only ended up getting Fallout: NV as I was trying to limit myself.

5. Tribble puncher

Tribble puncher Captain Captain

I have one friend on steam...haha...I never really get into the online social aspect of things, hardly ever play any multiplayer games, but If I can sell these steam cards for actualcredits to buy more games...I may have to check it out...I bought endless space gold, and grand theft auto IV complete, only to find out the latter won't run on my win8 laptop...am a bit bummed about that..

6. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I use my PC mainly for strategy games and the odd PC exclusive, I play most other sorts of games on console, so that kinda limits what I'm looking for on Steam. I just find it odd that I've spent so much less on Steam than the others posted yet apparently have more hours played.

7. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My Steam Profile

• Worth: $832.53
    • Games owned: 51
    • Games not played: 14
    • Percentage: 27%
    • Hours spent: 883.3h
    Nearly half of my hours are over just three games, BFBC2, Skyrim and Dawn of War 2.

Anyway, added Supreme Commander 2, Deus Ex Revolution (+ DLC), and Strike Suit Zero bundle. Got a decent haul from the sale at a reasonable price.

8. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hours played isn't exactly perfect. I have plenty of hours played from before they started counting them. But later hours are inflated as sometimes I forget to close FTL and it just sits on the main menu in the background for a day, or if a game doesn't exit cleanly a zombie process that is only visible in task manager but not on my task bar will add to my time. I know that happened with my XCOM and Plants vs Zombies tallies at the very least. I mean, I played the shit out of them, but just not quite as much as Steam claims ;)

9. Tribble puncher

Tribble puncher Captain Captain

where do you see the what your steam profile is worth?

10. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

Top right.

11. BennieGamali

BennieGamali Commander Red Shirt

Robert Maxwell: Good job getting Book of Unwritten Tales!! It's a lot of fun! A bit easy.. But not crazy easy. If you like adventure games to be harder and awesome you should try Primordia. It's just fantastic.

I got too many games.. my entire wishlist was on sale. Most of those were cheap to start with. The ones i'm the most exited about would be Mars: war logs, unreal tournament goty edition and that Star Trek game.

I actually enjoyed the ST one for about.. 10 minutes.. Then Kirk kept running into a wall and would help me do anything. I would have preferred playing Solo, but it seems i will have to play online.

I'm enjoying Mars:WL so far. Interesting story and fun enough to play.

12. Robert Maxwell

Unwritten Tales is pretty fun so far. I enjoy the sense of humor about it, although it feels like self-aware adventure games are the norm these days. ;)

13. BennieGamali

BennieGamali Commander Red Shirt

I am playing the second one now, Critter Chronicles. It's the sense of humor and Wilbur that got me to love the game.

14. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the playing time is wrong- no way I've played L.A. Noire for 265 hrs.

15. Saturn0660

Saturn0660 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've got one game from Steam. And i can't even play it because i never paid for it. It was a free weekend game. Civ5

16. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

I limit myself to games under $10 on Steam, preferably under $5.

Last night I started System Shock 2.

17. Robert Maxwell

How do you like it so far?

18. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

The interface is slightly clunky, but I can see its influence on many later games.

The notion of a "year" lasting 30 seconds as a means to level-up skills was slightly silly and not what I was expecting.

The similarities to Deus Ex are clear.

19. Robert Maxwell

Yeah, it definitely influenced a lot of later games, not the least of them being the Deus Ex and BioShock series.

20. Colonel Midnight

Colonel Midnight Vice Admiral Premium Member

I was looking for the previous CivV thread, but it looks like it fell to the Pruning God. Anywho, has anyone tried Brave New World yet? Thumbs up / down / middle ??

Cheers,
    -CM-