Green Lantern: Grading, Review, Discuss, Tracking, Sequel?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jun 16, 2011.

?

How would you grade Green Lantern?

Poll closed Jan 2, 2012.
  1. A+

5 vote(s)
    3.5%
  2. A

7 vote(s)
    4.9%
  3. A-

11 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. B+

20 vote(s)
    14.1%
  5. B

18 vote(s)
    12.7%
  6. B-

23 vote(s)
    16.2%
  7. C+

10 vote(s)
    7.0%
  8. C

15 vote(s)
    10.6%
  9. C-

13 vote(s)
    9.2%
  10. D+

4 vote(s)
    2.8%
  11. D

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  12. D-

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  13. F

10 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you're not talking about the plot in the scripts then what are you talking about about being slapdash in the scripts? The dialogue?

I disagree with you that the plot is the least interesting thing. For some people it might be, but you make it sound like its some certainty. And I would argue that a strong plot holds a film together and it can help it weather shaky acting and FX.

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Your adding qualifers that he didn't, "Summer Popcorn flick". Sure in that case a movie like Transformers, Pirates or Fast 5 might apply but still those are even a minority of cases for Summer films unless your an animated film.

Super 8, Thor and X-men have done well critically and commercially cause the characters are something to care about. A plot worth investing in, GL is all over the place and too shallow for most of it's run time that purty 'splosions just don't cover up.

3. Captain Craig

Did someone actually make that comment here? I missed it but would :lol: at that. That poster only inflates the "comic book guy" stereotype as portrayed on The Simpsons. Complaining about Amander Waller's girth is just stupid.

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I don't think Summer Popcorn Flick is an added qualifier, since we're in a Green Lantern Thread, discussing Green Lantern, which is a Summer Popcorn Flick.

With regards to Transformers, I gotta say there's nothing to that movie, but, the special effects. I never understood the Transformers Craze, thought they were stupid characters and stupid toys, so, when I watched it this weekend, I wasn't watching it through nostalgia. I was bored senseless watching it, and I've never heard anyone say anything positive about plot of character development in it, it seems to be pretty accepted, that it's a Special Effects eyegasm, and nothing more.

With regards to Green lantern, I haven't seen it yet, I'll be watching it when it's released on DVD (Or On Demand), so, I can't speak to the actual content of the movie, I'm hoping, I'll be one of the few who can actually enjoy it. I've never been a major comic book buff, but, I was always intrigued by the Character Green Lantern, so, I've been looking forward to it.

I think Thor and Pirates wouldn't have done so well, if they were stronger on story and character and really weak on effects, though. The effects is what drew people in, a great story was/would've been icing on the cake.
    Eh, The Last Airbender got quite a bit wrong, but, one of the things that irritated me most was that Iroh was a skinny white dude (That and the butchering of all the pronounciations)

5. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Oops, double post

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actuals for the weekend were slightly over 53 million. Warners' stock, surprisingly, is up a bit today.

7. Captain Craig

Is there commentary on that from an industry trade or is it just coincidence?

8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I know it's not the giant, franchise-starting hit Warner's was hoping for (and clearly it's not enough for a sequel)... but frankly 53 mil for a Green Lantern movie still seems pretty good to me.

It was probably wishful thinking to expect much more from a character like this.

9. DarKush

I think WB/DC need to get out there and start spinning this. It underperformed, yet it seems like the media consensus is it bombed. It didn't bomb. It was the number one film of the weekend. That's not a bad start for a relatively unknown comic book character. Not great, but not horrible either, and for DC one of the better launches of a non-Batman/non-Superman character. Put this in comparison to Jonah Hex of this time last year. Or what about The Spirit? The Losers?

10. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

That's a disappointing opening weekend for GL. No way to spin this. I think the biggest problem is the 200 million budget for GL, there is no reason for it being that big. You can make a decent blockbuster for much cheaper.

Thor cost 150 million and so far done 430 million worldwide, which means there is a great chance for a sequel. The good thing about Marvel is that they are smart about keeping costs down.

11. DarKush

The cost of the film didn't bother me, I think they were going for a franchise builder and they were willing to spend for it. However, I think the finished product had many people asking, you spent that much for that? The FX didn't look like they spent that much money. And now the cost is going to be an albatross that is going to be weighing down on this film and the future of the franchise. If it had hit big, then everyone would be geniuses, but alas it struggled out of the gate, and now the knives are coming out.

You know I think Marvel has their thing down in a way DC doesn't. I wonder if being part of Warner Brothers is more of a hindrance than a help. I mean, Marvel has a studio completely dedicated to putting their films out. DC, to my knowledge, doesn't. So maybe they have to compete with all of the other WB films, etc. That's just speculation on my part. If someone knows more about the business side of DC's film endeavors, please enlighten me.

12. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm glad this is tanking... no GL sequels could mean a near-future Deadpool, which I'd far rather see. Also, it oughta help in the unending, Sisyphean battle to learn studios to only make movies from good scripts. (Notice I said "ought".)

13. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

It's going to look like a speck of dust compared to 90-100 million for Transformers.

14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Does it ever seem like there's some god natured war going on between Nathan and Ryan? I adore them both in their own ways but...

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Nathan kept making Green Lantern animated movies and Ryan's Block buster just vanished?

15. DarKush

I thought Chris Meloni made for a better Hal than Nathan Filon. So does Reynolds. There I said it. Emerald Knights was underwhelming.

How can you be so sure? Reynolds might be considered comic book movie box office poison if this movie is considered a failure. So far he's been in three comic book films and they all were considered critical disappointments and/or failures.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2011
  16. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

17. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ryan Reynolds has repeated his interest in a "Deadpool" film. My interest in one has dipped considerably since the leaked script (the one written by the Zombieland guys) has been since rewritten.

Again...I see we're writing off films based on opening weekend. While incredibly important yes, it's not the be all and end all in studios green lighting sequels now. Overseas/international sales are taken into consideration and DVD sales are looked act before studios decide on a franchise's fate.

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

19. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finally saw this. It was okay. I felt as thought there was a great movie in there but it went through 8 million different writers who absolutely had to get their ideas in even if it was to the detriment of the overall movie.

All the Green Lanterns in space stuff is the best movie ever. Most of the stuff on Earth was pretty dire.

20. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Acknowledged, though they usually are. Exclusive, that is. Why I don't usually attend them.

Best writing/character dvpmt in an action flick I can readily recall is Spidey 1 and 2. But 'great' would be a stretch. But I admittedly miss a lot of them.

What's another out there that would be worth watching for the story/dialog? (I can always turn down the volume or skip the stupid fit scenes.)