Star Trek: The Seekers

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Commander Red Shirt

Seems an appropriate place for a quick review of an older work so....

Finished Vanguard. Nice little book with all manner of things going on and a good character mix with various agendas in collision. I also liked the diagrams pull-out, a nice extra.

What I enjoyed most, reading this with the perspective that it plays into the events of The Fall a century later, is the way it uses continuity. It starts off using the TV series as a springboard to launch, then spins its own tale atop that, but you don't actually need to have seen the ep as the book recaps what you need to know. The same is true for The Fall, but, seeing all 3 pieces? Makes for a very satisfying optional link-up.

It's interesting to note there's only one big battle in the book - USS Bombay versus 4 Tholian cruisers, but it has a real sense of weight and impact, both in the battle and its aftermath, which I thought was exceedingly well-done.

So, onto Book 2!

2. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Amazon Kindle e-readers use a completely different type of screen from what you're used to with your computer. It's no pain on the eyes at all.

3. Jedi Ben

Hmm, may be so but I'm getting older and more stuck in my ways! :)

4. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Just preordered - thanks !

5. Jedi Ben

Will be posting deals as and when I see them in the relevant threads, the next ones will be for the Oct-Dec books in all likelihood but that's dependent on when BD update their catalogue! The lowest I've been able to prebuy for was £3.72.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Simon and Schuster's website has the descriptions up for the first two books, but the BBS is being stupid and won't let me cut and paste, so you'll have to find it yourselves.

7. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Or you know, your browser or even your PC or what ever you use is being "stupid." :rolleyes:

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's the only site I'm having trouble with, and I've been to a whole bunch of sites today.

9. Jedi Ben

OK, I can likely see what JD's referring to, so got creative:

Star Trek: Seekers: Second Nature

A new mission: The late twenty-third century—Starfleet’s golden age of exploration. Desperate to stay one step ahead of its rivals, the Federation sends two starships, the scout Sagittarius and the cruiser Endeavour, to plumb the secrets of the vast region known as the Taurus Reach.

A doomed race: Drawn by mysterious energy readings to a lush green world, the crew of the Sagittarius find the Tomol: a species whose members all commit ritual suicide just as they reach the cusp of adulthood.

Star Trek: Seekers: Point of Divergence

By Dayton Ward and Kevin Dilmore

The second novel set in The Original Series/Vanguard universe…

The Taurus Reach. Once the conquered realm of a powerful alien species, this region remains largely shrouded in mystery even as it brims with potential for exploration and colonization. The Federation has sent in two of its finest starships on a quest to uncover the secrets it may yet hold...

The Tomol are aprimitive civilization occupying a lone island on a remote world. Their culture is an enigma, centered on every member’s commitment to a painful, fiery self-sacrifice upon reaching maturity. But one of their clan has shunned this obligation, triggering a transformation into a new, powerful life form. Answering the distress call of the U.S.S. Sagittarius—which has crashed on the planet following a fierce battle with the Klingons—Captain Atish Khatami and the crew of the Starship Endeavour must now attempt a rescue mission…even as they are locked in battle with the evolving, increasingly malevolent Tomol who, if allowed to escape their home world, pose an imminent threat to the entire galaxy!

EDIT: Thanks to TW for the flag-up on the Bk 2 blurb potentially giving the game away for Bk 1!.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thanks.

11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Perhaps those blurbs should be spoiler coded? The book two blurb in particular includes something which to me seems like a spoiler for book 1.

Not that I care in particular, if it was something terribly important they wouldn't have revealed it in any manner. But I know how upset some people get on this matter anyway.

12. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Huh. Don't know if it helps the Yanks, but for my fellow Canucks, Kobo has it for C$8.99, the usual one-dollar-less than the original paperback price. (link) And amazon.ca also has the Kindle version for C$8.99... although in this case it claims the print list price is C$36, and you get 75% off, so maybe this is a limited time thing? (link)

Hmm... I already have the pBook version, but I wonder if I should get an eBook copy before the Canadian retailers decide to match the zany US prices? I thought it would be nice to have the entire Vanguard saga on my Kobo at some point, but I was hoping there would be cheaper omnibus versions released at some point.

13. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

I am happy to report that thanks to the efforts of editor Edward Schlesinger at Simon & Schuster, we have succeeded in reducing the price of the Star Trek Vanguard: Reap the Whirlwind Amazon Kindle eBook and the Apple iTunes Store iBook back to its original $7.99. It’s my hope that this price correction on the eBook versions of this impossible-to-find installment in the Vanguard saga will soon propagate to the B&N Nook edition, as well.

14. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

That's awesome.

15. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

That's good to hear, thanks!

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Good going, Ed!

17. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

German publisher Cross Cult has put Seekers on its list, even though no release dates are fixed yet.

18. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Book Four now has a title:

Source: Dayton's twitter

19. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

The Endeavour charts Ned Flanders' Leftorium? ;)

20. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Here's the blurb for All That's Left.