I must apologize...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by sayonara maru, Apr 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have a magic word but I'm not going to reveal it.

I also have way too many vegetarian relatives and have eaten way too many portobello mushrooms at cafes because of it. It doesn't matter how much couscous you pile along side them and how much garlic you rub into them, their huge flabby rubberyness is no substitute for a nice little steak.

Magic words are missing a whole dimension.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well actually, my first choice of magic word was "tea kettle" which I fluffed and my spell checker advised that the magic word I was really looking for was "teacake" ...No shit, Microsoft is trying to set us up!

Silly Microsoft trying to fake fate.

Do you remember the old Bananaman cartoon about Eric and what happens when he says his magic word?

Ditto for Super Ted.

Captain Marvel?

(Never mind.)

3. teacake

Every time Guy Gardener asks if I remember something I get twitchy because of course I remember nothing, I am a media wasteland.

4. Guy Gardener

Well, I'm assuming that in the 80s that your children forced you to watch truly awful cartoons.

"Mummy, Mummy! It's called Voltron, and it's the best thing evah!"

5. teacake

I have grown old on this forum but not quite that old. I've never had tv flow over me, the big hit in my house was Wallace and Gromit on video. Of course there's not really enough of that but it seemed to be rewatched into pulp.

6. Guy Gardener

The first Wallace and Grommit aired Christmas Day 1989, meanwhile the last first run generation one Voltron was November 1985... :)

Just a long weekend between the two.

7. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

:guffaw:

I just snorked coffee all over my shirt.

8. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

I remember Captain Marvel's magic word.

Of course that comes from being a reader of comics not a watcher of TV cartoons. The only cartoons I remember loving were Loony Tunes, Rocky and Bullwinkle, and George of the Jungle.

Voltron was more my daughter's favorite, although I think she really only wanted the toy. She had one of these.[​IMG]
    In fact she may still have it, LOL we really need to clean out her closet.

9. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    That exchange was superb. Cyber Beckett. Transcends the banal thread into something else.
    :)

10. Guy Gardener

I do wonder how an Australian failed to watch Farscape when it came out.

When my grammy finally became free from my grampy, the TV got turned onto cricket and rugby thereater and no soul dare touched that dial. She had spent 40 years hiding her love of sport beuaseit was unladylike bu suddenlythere was no one to judge her.

11. teacake

LOL for me "aired" meant "when the video shop finally got it in".

But anyway.. I have never seen Voltron but I have seen all of Neon Genesis Evangelion though very little of it has stuck in my head. Theme song still rocks though.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX462lGeoXs[/yt]

"A cruel angel's thesis
    Will someday fly high from the window
    If memories are betrayed by
    The overflowing burning Pathos.."

12. Guy Gardener

The Robot Chicken people made a sexually explicit, super violent parody of Voltron called Titan Maximum... God help me if any of you don't know what Robot chickey is!?

13. teacake

I am only recently released from my Star Trek bubble!

I spent all of 1999 in IRC!

Locusts!

14. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Then there was the time something went horribly wrong. When saying the magic word, instead of returning to being Billy Batson, Captain Marvel permanently turned into Gomer Pyle. No matter how many times Gomer said the magic word, he never became Captain Marvel again.

15. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

Sadly this is true, but what can you expect from a comic hero that was not allowed to have a pair of -- well those attributes that are very male. LOL.

According to The Steranko History of Comics, Volume 1 by James Steranko, the artists that drew Captain Marvel would sing a little song to the tune of "Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf." Something like this - "Captain Marvel has got no ____, well you get the drift.

16. sayonara maru

sayonara maru Lieutenant

Oh.. hell no!! You did not knock 80's cartoonery!!! Have you forgotten Voltron and Thundercats and Silverhawks and COPS and Turbo Teen and Brave Starr and The Super Mario Brothers Super Show???

Thats it Guy.. you've thrown down.. these are fighting words and i dont lose..

17. sayonara maru

sayonara maru Lieutenant

Ye Gods this was the coolest toy in the history of dope toys.. I think i just creamed a little...

18. sayonara maru

sayonara maru Lieutenant

See!! Teacake knows whats up!!! Neon Genesis was like in my top 5 of dopest Anime of All time (along with Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Full Metal Alchemist and Big O) .... I wont mention Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z since those are guilty pleasures

(plus i dont wanna start a revolt thread and hear someone throwing down legally blonde or princess bride)

19. sayonara maru

sayonara maru Lieutenant

You embarras yourself sir!.. anybody that thinks Robot Chiken is tolerable art and entertainment needs their head checked by a jumbo jet..

Now if you said Aqua Teen Hunger Force.. i could relate..

20. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Most of the cartoons mentioned on this page I've never seen, and some I've never heard of. With the 80s cartoons, I was in my 30s and just saw them as feature length commercials for children's toys. I could never get into anime (having seen 8th Man in the 1960s). I couldn't deal with the huge eyes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.