Need a good starter episode for a newbie

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by emergencyfruit, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Trouble With Tribbles, I've never liked nearly as much as most do, but, I do agree with the others in that list as great episodes.

Another really popular episode I've never cared a whole lot for is "The Giant Flying Terd" one, The Doomsday Machine. However, I do like "The Space Hippie one" The Way to Eden a great deal, which I think is fairly unpopular. So, yea, I see your point, but, I really can't see Catspaw as being a good introduction epsiode to get someone interested in the Series, and if it does get them interested, I'm not sure it's typical enough of Trek to allow other episodes to be satisfactory, if more of that's what they're looking for

2. Nacluv

Nacluv Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The point is that the episode hopefully will fulfill that which he is looking for, and at the same time make him want to look for something else, developing other needs, that consequently will be fulfilled by other Trek episodes.

After reading her descriptions of him, I think it's either that or The Man Trap. Of course, I still think the episodes listed in my original post would be the best recommendations for any newbie if he wants to grasp the essence of Star Trek, which I think neither The Man Trap or Catspaw epitomizes. There was another purpose with my latest, insidious suggestions.

3. TOSalltheway

TOSalltheway Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Corbomite Maneuver hands down. Journey to Babel is another classic but without knowing the back stories it is not as strong. Balance of Terror is great but it is really an old fashioned sub vs. destroyer flic.

Corbomite has it all. It introduces you to the crew, has tons of action, and gives you a lump in your throat morality lesson at the end.

It is the best of Trek and a great intro.

Break open a bottle of Tranya and enjoy.

4. PPatters

PPatters Boimler sun, Garak moon, Jadzia rising Fleet Captain

There are lots of good options. Honestly, "The Trouble with Tribbles" is probably your best bet. The first episode of "Star Trek" I ever saw, and what hooked me, was "A Taste of Armageddon." I think I liked it because it featured things in which I'm interested (diplomacy, politics, hostage situations) and it provided an interesting, futuristic look at war.

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Another contender that hasn't come up yet: Arena.

Kirk vs. the Gorn, with the fate of the Enterprise at stake. Simple, dramatic, and requiring not specialized Trek knowledge.

What's not to love?

6. emergencyfruit

emergencyfruit Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Wow, thanks for the variety of ideas, everyone! The one consistent recommendation has been Balance of Terror, and I think that the emphasis on action and war will appeal to him. If I'm lucky, I might be able to talk him into round two, which will depend on which mood we're in: Tribbles if lighthearted, Corbomite if more serious and philosophical. Our rendezvous with the Enterprise is set for tomorrow night, and I'll be sure to post the result, in case you should ever find yourselves in a similar bind.

Thanks again for so many excellent ideas - with luck, tomorrow night, a Trekker may be born! :)

7. REDrake

REDrake Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You should do that, as I for one find myself in a very similar situation. I want to hook-up my wife to Star Trek after we finish watching Stargate Atlantis (and I only have 12 episode left of that).;)

8. TOSalltheway

TOSalltheway Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Please DO NOT let them see Tribbles. They will think Star Trek is a cheap, poorly written sitcom.

9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Yep.

10. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The first episode I saw (sometime back in 1972 or 1973) was Space Seed.

I literally never heard of Star Trek to that point (I was just a wee lad). I remember them beaming onto the Botany Bay at the beginning, and being confused as to what that was (the beaming over, I mean). I was also enthralled with Spock.

I remember getting my older brother to watch it with me. He knew about Star Trek, and explained some if it to me.

I agree with those who say one of the best starter episode would be Balance of Terror.

I do NOT agree that The Trouble with Tribbles would be a good starter episode. To really appreciate the humor of that episode, you need to be familiar with the characters to begin with, since each character was playing a bit of a caricature of himself, for example:

- Shatner further exaggerating his already staccato delivery for some of his lines.
    - Spock with the classic one-liners ("He heard you; he simply could not believe his ears")
    - Scotty with his defending the ship's honor, and with his love of everything engineering.
    - Doctor McCoy being a bit too amused with his zoological study of the Tribbles.
    - Chekov's Russian reference and his over-exuberance.

Without having a baseline expectation of each character to begin with, the jokes made in the episode can be lost.

So, I say:
    Balance of Terror
    Doomsday Machine
    Arena

These are among the best "stand-alone" episodes (from a character standpoint).

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  11. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

IMO - the episode the encapsulates 'Star Trek' for me is:

The Corbomite Manuever (And I still think it's one of the best Star Trek episodes from any of the 6 series <-- I'm also counting TAS ;).)

The ship is exploring the edge of known space. All the characters have good bits in the episode, and there's some suspense and danger; and it's essentially a 'Fisrt Contact' situation as well.

And if you don't care for 'hokey special effects' show him the remastered version. Hell, even in syndication these days the channel show the series in my area is showing the remastered version of the episodes.

12. erastus25

erastus25 Commodore Commodore

In my experience, Shore Leave never fails. Space Seed is another good choice. You even get a badass McCoy moment!

13. Greg Cox

That could depend on gender. I have a soft spot for Shore Leave myself, but a female acquaintance once rolled her eyes a bit at the 60's era sexism. McCoy showing up with two scantily-clad showgirls, the yeoman wanting to be carried off by Don Juan, etc.

And Ruth is probably the most boring of all Kirk's ex-flames.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  14. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

I'd go with The Trouble With Tribbles.

15. emergencyfruit

emergencyfruit Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

We went with Balance of Terror, and mission accomplished! He loved it! Thanks so much, everyone! While we ran out of time to watch a second episode, he is eagerly awaiting the next one. Corbomite or Tribbles will be next on the list, and then I'll set him loose to explore on his own. This is really awesome - thanks a million times, guys!

16. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I still think you need to have a baseline knowledge of the characters for that episode to have its full effect.

If the viewer does not know anything about Kirk, Spock, Scotty, McCoy, or Chekov to begin with, then the intentional caricatures of themselves that were presented too us loses their meaning.

17. Nacluv

I think it's the same with The Naked Time and Mirror, Mirror.

OP: Now that he has seen Balance of Terror and liked it, maybe you should just let him watch the episodes in either production order or airdate order.

18. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Doomsday Machine is what hooked my buddy.

19. Nacluv

My girlfriend has decided that she wants to be a part of my biggest reason to live, my passion for the cinema. We understood that it would neither be very easy or much point in trying to converge and agglutinate our tastes (and especially since she wants to become versed in what kind of movies I watch) so we don't make any kind of accommodations and literally force one another to watch what ever movie that person desires. So far, the only good thing is that at least I get to see new movies for a change. This evening we've seen MILF, The Strangers and Rogue River and later tonight she will submit to Perché si uccide un magistrato, Laugh, Clown Laugh (her first silent flick haha) and two Star Trek TOS & TNG episodes. Altough annoyed at the fact that I only choose movies I've wanted to rewatch many times but usually do not allow myself to as I have so many different projects and movies that I must see, she's looking forward to seeing Star Trek, since it's such a big deal to me.

The episodes I've picked are The Enemy Within and The Measure of a Man. I personally feel that those are pretty good episodes to introduce someone to Star Trek. Any opinions?

20. Greg Cox

Good choices, especially Measure of a Man.

For TOS, you might also consider "Balance of Terror," "The Doomsday Machine," or "City on the Edge of Forever."