CGI goddess RAPUNZEL from TANGLED appreciation thread.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mutara Nebula 1967, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Mutara Nebula 1967

Mutara Nebula 1967 Captain Captain

DISNEY still has its juice!

Even as new movies like todays GNOMEO and JULIET opens TANGLED is still playing since THANKSGIVING! And its within the shatter of being a 200 million dollar hit domestically and double that internationally.

TANGLED was its 50th animated film and perhaps the best one of them all and that is in a large part due to the character of RAPUNZEL.

Talk about the perfect storm of animation, writing and voice talent giving birth to a fantastic creation.

I'm the first to admit as a single gentleman in his early '40's I was NOT the target audience for this movie but every now and then I like to shake things up and step away from sci/fi and action movies for something different and I am very glad I went to this fantasy film or I would have never discovered the charming character of RAPUNZEL.

DISNEY should be commended by this ANTI-SHREK movie-no pop culture references-winking at the audience...just a timeless well told tale featuring likable characters and perhaps the most gorgeous CGI beauty ever created as this picture illustrates...

And if you like that I discovered a whole trove of them at ..I don't know...a Rapunzel shrine site for lack of a better term. Definetly worth a look.

Click here: http://rapunzelpictureparadise.word...ise-for-the-worship-of-rapunzel-from-tangled/

[​IMG]

2. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

IS it free of hidden political messeges (left or right)? Does it tie up nicely?

It's not ridiculous humor like later seasons of "The Simpsons"? Something mroe mature, like say Pixar films (in general)?

3. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's that good, huh?

Zachary Levi voices the guy, I was going to see it for that alone. :D But DVD is fine for me.

4. Mutara Nebula 1967

There is no political message, no bodily function humor...nothing like that...it has a exciting and sharply written (and funny storyline) filled with interesting well rounded characters and without spoiling too much the "villain" of the film Mother Gothel is the most complex antagonist Disney has ever created. There was much debate about the subject on IMDB Tangled forum thread whether she is truly evil or not.

In any other year where there was no TOY STORY 3-this movie would have been nominated and probably won for best animated film. It just had the bad luck to come out this year and go against a "sibling"film from the PIXAR division.

It WAS that good and a don't miss. I believe the DVD will be out end of March. Well worth the rental Temis.

P.S. I always enjoyed seeing you pop up on the TWOP boards!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2011
  5. Temis the Vorta

Thanks, I didn't know you were at TWOP! I haven't been there since forever.

6. Manticore

Manticore Manticore, A moment ago Account Deleted

She's even cuter as a shorthaired brunette. :D

Definitely a good movie, and I plan to get it as soon as it's on DVD.

7. Sisko_is_my_captain

Sisko_is_my_captain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't know why, but as soon as I saw her on the trailers (haven't seen the movie), I thought Sarah Michelle Gellar should have voiced her.

8. Mutara Nebula 1967

The last post i remember from you clearly was your remarking how AMC got caught flat footed by only ordering SIX episodes of the WALKING DEAD and I remember thinking how right you were about that...HUGE error on their part as usually season orders are 13. Probably blew their production money on the failed RUBICON.

And again.. don't miss TANGLED! After a creative slump DISNEY is back from the dead in the animation world.

Perhaps but this Mandy Moore who I'd only vaguely heard of before the movie did a wonderful job in vocals and singing.

9. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

Thanks for answering. I think the dollar theater here has it right now.

"Wall-E" was okay, but I didn't like the left-leaning political stuff hiding away in a few parts.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I agree, Glen Keane's Rapunzel is a gorgeously executed character, both from a "Damn, what a hot babe" perspective and from a "Wow, that's superb character animation" perspective. I'm normally not a fan of Disney fairytale/musical films, but I wanted to see this one because I was so captivated by Rapunzel in the commercials.

Still, I only saw it because the sound system broke down when I went to Tron: Legacy, so I picked it as my backup plan. Glad I did. It's an excellent movie all around, and I'm saying that as someone who doesn't like Disney stuff as a rule. It was basically doing a Disney-style story with a Pixar sensibility -- and I don't just mean CGI, I mean the style of writing, characterization, and humor that John Lasseter brought to Pixar and has now evidently brought to Disney -- and it worked very well.

Am I the only one who thought that Rapunzel's frying pan made a much more entertaining "sidekick" than the chameleon? I dug the frying pan.

11. Mutara Nebula 1967

Sure, you have to love the Frying Pan-it got almost as much screen time as everyone else. And the Rapunzel using the frying pan to SPOILERS.... try and free them in the flooding tunnel was the moment I knew she was no typical damsel in distress but genuine heroine in her own right-that impressed me!

Man, if you have the opportunity to see this movie for a buck than believe me it will be some of the best value you'll get out of a dollar anytime soon. One hour and forty minutes of genuine entertainment beautifully rendered.

12. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Thanks, I just spit all over my keyboard! :lol:

13. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I was driving past one of my local theaters one night after work and lol'ed at the sign - they had Tangled and Yogi Bear as two of the selections, but put them both on the same line, in that specific order. :D I might give it a shot if I have time.

14. Temis the Vorta

I'll give them a pass on that. They have a high falutin' audience that might not go for genre stuff, horror isn't notably successful on TV and I can't recall ever seeing a zombie TV series. Plus they don't know when they order a show if it'll be good or garbage, or whether the quality will even matter to the ratings. The Walking Dead was a massive (and gutsy) risk for them, and it's understandable if they wanted to be cautious. Networks have done far far stupider things, that's for sure. :D

Fie, I say, fie! WALL*E was a masterpiece of unparalleled dimensions!

15. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^There were no parallel dimensions in Wall*E.:cool:

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

What "left-leaning" stuff? Do you mean the environmental message? Did you know Richard Nixon founded the EPA? And of course Teddy Roosevelt was big on preserving nature. Before Reagan turned the Republicans into the party of big business, they were the pioneers of the environmentalist movement, seeing conservation as a logical outgrowth of conservatism. It's not a partisan message that it's a good idea to keep our home clean and livable. It's just common sense.

And one could just as easily read a "right-leaning" message into the film's critique of the effortless, coddled life aboard the starship; that could be seen as an allegory for the welfare system, with the message being that people need to reject handouts and embrace hard work.

17. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Am I the only one a little bit creeped out by this thread?

18. Mutara Nebula 1967

It would seem so...as there is nothing wrong with admiring true beauty even if its created from pixels and CGI.

19. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

...as long as you leave the tentacles *ahem* out of it. :D

20. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Apparently saying we may one day produce so much garbage the planet will be trashed is 'left leaning'. :lol: