Embarrassed by Voyager?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by IlogicalOne, May 17, 2009.

1. TariAdama

TariAdama Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Battlestar Galactica. Rank: Maj. Tari Adama
    Even though her suit left nothing the imagination, they were functional.... I'm just glad that they got rid of the silver one... that was terrible on her.

2. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

I confess I have struggled with the catsuit issue on all the series not because I don't appreciate that the actors wearing them aren't beautiful shapely people but because it does single them out. While all (7, T'Pol, Kira, Troi) more than proved thier worth to thier respective crews it did seem to be an obstacle for some viewers to take them seriously at first. My husband admitted he had difficulty NOT looking only at 7's breasts the first few epis she was on, but as she integrated into the crew and our idea of what Voy's crew was she became more a person than just BOOBS. (Nothin' wrong with boobs - we ALL got 'em) It is a stange paradox I guess. Pity too, as the characters they portray have all become what I consider to be friends of mine!

3. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

Okay guys, let's keep it about the posts and not about the posters. Thanks. :)

4. freak

freak Commodore Commodore

I did like Seven's character on the show as well..but thought that she was way overused in the series. I remember I had a friend of mine who's sister was flipping channels(they are really religious) one day and had happened to come across Seven of Nine on Voyager. I remember her telling me that her sister's first thought was: "oh MY GOODNESS!!!". :lol: I think she was embarrassed by Seven's catsuit. :lol:

5. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Preach it, girl!!!!:techman:

I found many of the women's dress styles in Trek sensual without being sexual. The human body is one of the most artistic forms on Earth. Artists form Michelangelo to Divinci saw it that way. IMPO I think it's sad that in modern times we lost the ability to view each other bodies in that capacity.

6. IlogicalOne

IlogicalOne Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Everyone,
    If my post offended any here I offer my apologizes as I am a fan of the series I meant no harm with my post. I don't think it was so much an embarrassment for me to watch Voyager as much as it sometimes felt more like a guilty pleasure.
    Not meaning for that to sound sexiest or vulgar by any means but being a man, it is hard not to notice an attractive woman wearing a very skin tight cat suit especially when one has a figure like Jeri Ryan does. Again, I do not mean to sound disrespectful to the women here. I loved the character and how she grew in the show and made it more interesting. I believe her role made some of the best episodes of the series. I see now that the problem I had was with me, not the series itself. Any way thank you all for opening my eyes to things I had not thought of before.

Peace.

7. IlogicalOne

IlogicalOne Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

My wife's dad is a strict Southern Baptist minister who is a very hard line fundamentalist. One day he came in while I was watching Voyager while Seven of Nine was on wearing her silver cat suit. I think I started to turn red
    when he asked point blank what I was watching. yeah, yeah, I know, nothing to be embarrassed about but come on, you have to admit it was like getting caught watching the Playboy channel. :lol:

8. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was a jest.

For some reason I like writing about 7 as though she were a real person. She is my favorite Trek character.

9. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ilogicalone I am glad you liked 7 so much and came to appreciate her as you did. I think she's a very interesting person and her story of trying to move forward from a life as Borg never fails to grip me.

Your response to the catsuit is, sadly, just what the producers wanted, ie a sexual response. Your embarrassment is an extra, a product of your personality. In order to defend 7 from being constantly denigrated as "just some T and A" I like to offer the uniform explanation, an in-universe explantion which I believe works well. As an addition to that remember that 7 was very naive and did not understand attraction, how to interact socially, romance.. and would have been quite oblivious to other's reactions to her good figure. I do question the idea (not put forward by you) that having a great figure means you shouldn't wear catsuits, but it's okay if your figure is just meh, but that's a question that takes place outside of VOY.

I also think if you look for in-universe explanations as to why it is okay in VOY to wear something that no one in their right mind would wear for WORK today it shows there may be sociological differences in the future that make it okay. Janeway is very protective of 7 but she does not once take her aside and suggest she wear something else.. so obviously the wearing of catsuits is not an issue in the future.

10. Adm_Hawthorne

Adm_Hawthorne Admiral Admiral

Plus, no one is really angry.

11. Fish1941

Fish1941 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I wonder. Why do many TREK fans act as if Voyager was the only series with plotholes? I kept encountering them by the dozens on the other shows and in the Trek movies. Do fans tend to blind themselves to the plotholes found in the other Trek shows, because they had actors, instead of an actress in the starring role? If not, why do they blind themselves to the constant plotholes found in all Trek movies and television series?

12. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because it's cool to hate Voyager?:confused:

13. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

It's a possibility. I've been wondering the same thing myself for years.