Wiped Episode Discoveries

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Re: Rumors of a Special Surprise for the Anniversary

It's his ego getting in the way. He was probably told nothing was found then someone was 'forced' to show him evidence.

This is starting to get interesting. I still have my doubts, but if Ian has seen a crate full of films with labels then he wouldn't stop until someone unspooled something for him.

Over at the missing episodes forum everything is being shut down in relation to the rumour. Wouldn't surprise me if the forum goes offline soon...

2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

At a guess, the people who "barefaced lied to" him would be the BBC movers and shakers, people like Dan Hall (whom he cited over the weekend), who told him that there wasn't any fire, let alone any smoke. Levine raised a good argument -- why would Hall spend money to animate "The Reign of Terror" and "The Tenth Planet" if the episodes were either back in the BBC's possession or soon to be?

I don't know what the evidence is that Levine is seeing, but it's probably the same evidence that someone passed to Rich Johnston that had him convinced -- until he got shot down from multiple corners.

If what Ian's reporting is correct, there's three tons of film cannisters that need to be gone through, sorted, catalogued, etc. If the BBC found this in late 2011, which is when the rumors about this find started, maybe they weren't deliberately withholding this for the anniversary, maybe it's just going to take them that long to sort out the legalities and wrap their heads around everything they now have.

3. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

One more Tweet from Ian Levine:

"Final word for tonight. If someone confided in me I would never be discussing this. But they lied + I found the proof so under no obligation."

Not sure what to make of that either. He makes it sound like he independently discovered proof that these episodes exist. How on earth would he be able to do that?

4. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

Ian Levine really needs to put his ego on a diet.

I think at this point, I'm going to continue to believe that this is indeed a hoax so as not to be disappointed later. :p

5. Candlelight

Hard to tell; Paul is the faceman for missing episode finds, he and Steve Roberts are always at the front of the search.

There are two possibilities:

- Paul is sick of this rumour and it's taking its toll; he does always jump on and deny rumours so this time he's decided he won't 'stoop to this level'.

- There is a discovery. The pieces aren't quite in place yet so he can't comment either way.

Look to the BBC. That's all we can do now, and wait.

6. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I would guess someone contacted him, saying something to the effect of "Don't let them con you, it really is true, I'm..." (warehouse worker sorting stuff, Engineer who had them, another Executive,...) and said, and "here's the proof", or "come here for the proof" or whatever.

7. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Look at this one: "Right now I'm holding on to the proof + not leaking it publicly. But I assure you I have proof of 3 tons of film cans arriving"

He may have shipping manifests, inventory logs, that sort of thing, that shows that the BBC took possession of 3 tons of film cannisters in 2011. In short, documentation that the cannisters physically exist. No, that doesn't tell him what's in them, unless he's been given other details.

8. Candlelight

Levine specifically said he believes 90 episodes have been found. That to me doesn't sound like an uncatalogued crate of films...

He probably smashed through a wall and saw the films lying there.

It would make for nice symmetry if true; Ian found The Daleks 25 years ago this year; the BBC F&VT Library was set up 25 years ago this year. 50th anniversary this year.

Fingers crossed but we've been shot down before...

9. The Nth Doctor

Whatever the case may be, I find it both odd and disturbing that's it come down to us dissecting Ian Levine's Twitter account. :wtf: :lol:

10. Sindatur

So, using this to bring it back down to Earth (If it actually is true), maybe there are 90 episodes total of a category that includes Doctor Who, and the rumor starter knows there's at least one Evil of the Daleks episode, and someone cried out something like, "Damn, with a haul like this, it could contain the Complete Hartnell era"

*Yea, I know 90 episodes would be far less than 3 tons, that's why I linked the 90 to a category, rather than a complete total*

11. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

This describes me exactly. Although now with Ian Levine and his 3 tons of evidence statement, who knows! Holy cow this has been a wild ride.

It's still hard to believe . . . yet disappointing if not true.

Mr Awe

12. Mr Awe

This is very strange, but it reduces my confidence in his tale. It sounds like he thinks someone was trying to convince him it wasn't true but in the process he saw through it and in fact saw proof that it is true.

That makes no sense and really gives me the idea that someone is playing him.

Despite that, I'm getting my hopes up darn it!

Mr Awe

13. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

For the record, if the rumor is true, and Ian Levine's previous beliefs are to be believed, here's what's still missing:

Mission to the Unknown
    The Daleks' Master Plan 1, 3, 4, 5-9, 11 & 12
    The Ice Warriors 2 & 3
    The Wheel in Space - 2 episodes
    The Invasion 1 & 4

Link to Gallifrey Base (yeah, I know) (Thanks to Emh for sending me in this direction.)

So we'd have Power of the Daleks? Evil of the Daleks? The Moonbase? Marco Polo? The Web of Fear? Oh please be true.

14. Sindatur

Now see, the Rumor reporting was clearly labeled "Rumor". Levine has now pasted "I have evidence" on top of the original Rumor. Now that is worthy of backlash if not true (at least he must have some proof that would give him this confidence, if it turns out the rumor is not true)

15. Mr Awe

The fact that they supposedly arrived in 2011 really makes me question this. No way it takes the BBC that long to catalog what they received. No way.

Mr Awe

16. Sindatur

Must they have taken them into possesion at the beginning of the Rumor? (Did the Tweet specifically say the 3 tons arrived at BBC possession in 2011?) Couldn't they have made assumptions at the beginning of the rumor, and took possesion in mid-late 2012, and are now deciding what to do exactly on the roadmap with all the now cataloged finds (Remember, it's not just Doctor Who, but, many other treasures that have been lost as well. Though they all likely have their own teams, someone's gotta strategize the all encompassing roadmap)

17. Mr Awe

^ From one of Ian's tweets:

"Just three serials is a bad joke.There are literally three tons of film cans and that's just from 2011. I have the actual proof"

It almost sounds like more arrive later, which could mean there wasn't time to catalog all of it. It could also mean that Ian only has evidence for the 3 tons in 2011 but thinks there could be more (but no evidence of it).

It's all pretty unclear but Ian thinks he has proof that 3 tons arrived in 2011. Those 3 tons are linked to the 90 episodes. Those would be fully cataloged by now even if they arrived Dec 31, 2011.

Mr Awe

18. The Nth Doctor

Worthy of backlash, yes, but remember Ian Levine is just a fan with a Twitter account. He's not a reporter, not even a paid blogger. Just a guy with a keyboard and internet connection.

Not saying that makes it alright, just saying he's in a different position from Rich Johnson.

All he says is the "3 tons proof is from 2011." Who knows if that's when the proof first showed up or when the 8,000 cans were actually retrieved. Either way, that's a lot of films to go through, and depending on the quality, one would have to be very careful with each of them. I can see that being a very time consuming process.

19. Candlelight

So lets join the dots:

8000 films in a shipment arrive at the BBC in 2011, apparently containing (at least) 90 episodes of Doctor Who, source unknown.

Somehow an African engineer gets mixed up in all this.

The Tenth Planet (sold to Australia, New Zealand and Singapore) and The Evil of the Daleks (sold to Australia, New Zealand, Singapore and Hong Kong) are mentioned by name. Neither of these stories reached Africa.

Mission, Master Plan, Warriors, Invasion and two episodes from Wheel are still missing (with the exception of the Hartnell stories - although Mission is may have - the others all went to Singapore).

Add to this:

Anneke Wills (Polly) is hushed by a minder after starting to talk about The Power of the Daleks (which screened in Singapore).

Despite being found nearly two years ago, The Underwater Menace 2 hasn't been released yet. Are we waiting on the remaining two missing installments to be announced...? (also went to Singapore).

My guess:

The Singaporean shipment finally made it home to the BBC, 40 years after setting sail on the Flying Dutchman.

20. Candlelight