My thoughts on and gripes with Star Trek Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Ometiklan, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Well, when's the last time a writer used their sci-fi tech to their logical conclusion, right ?

Trophies for everybody !

2. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Yet another post whining about criticism.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I think there's much to be critical about this film, but there is also much to like. :techman:

4. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Eh.

On the intermittent occasions when they appear, newtontomato's posts are nonsensical or comical more often than anything, and this one certainly didn't merit that kind of cheap-shot response. Or any response at all, really.

5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Way to get ahead in a war.

6. Ometiklan

Ometiklan Captain Captain

BeamMe:
    I don't think Marcus wanted to reshape Earth or the Federation. He was just worried that we would lose the war with the Klingons and wanted to reshape StarFleet to defeat the Klingons. Thus killing them from afar would have accomplished that goal.

Came across this interesting article:
    http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/the-r...-planting-easter-eggs-tribbles-215642312.html

I guess this explains why some things don't make sense if the writer's craft the story and then decide who the characters are and if their backstories work in the current story. I thought things felt shoehorned in, and this just confirms it.

7. Solariabsg25

Solariabsg25 Commodore Commodore

Had Khan acted that way in TWOK, I think the next movie after that would have been Star Trek III - Bow Before Our Mighty Overlord Khan! ;)

8. jbohn

jbohn Commander Red Shirt

Who is Malcolm Tucker?

Why do so many people think that the partially destroyed moon is Praxis? Was it mentioned in STID? Did they say in TUC where Praxis was in relation to Kronos? Wouldn't an explosion like the one that opened TUC likely have destroyed Kronos in TUC if it was an orbiting moon?

My only problem with the movie is that in my opinion it's just as good and well-made, over all, as the last one, but there is no "newness" to it like the last one had. They should have upped the charm and heart to it, instead they upped the action and literally every action scene was in the trailers, leaving nothing to surprise.

9. Belz...

The fact that it looks exactly like Praxis, is a moon of Kronos just like Praxis, and that the writers of this movie have packed the last two entires with references to old Trek is a damn good indication.

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

This will work well if the next movie is about a war with the Klingons. They have lost their energy reserves and they now have even more compelling reasons to conquer other worlds.

11. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

That discussion on remakes in the other forum made me think of something peculiar.

Star Trek 2009 and STD constantly reference the previous Trek films. The I have been, and always shall be your friend thing, the needs of the many thing, the Khan thing, Spock's death scene, lots and lots of references, even in pivotal moments of the film.

Just what is there in those two films that future films will be able to pay homage to or reference? Is there anything that you are going to take with you that is truly memorable and stands on its own?

12. Solariabsg25

Solariabsg25 Commodore Commodore

That's an interesting question, and the fact is at the moment, we don't know.

Remember, Star Trek II was over 30 years ago, with three decades of being watched and re-watched, allowing it to seep into the public consciousness.

Even non-trek fans are usually familiar with the KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNN!! reference for example, but when we watched the movie at the theaters all those years ago, did we know that line would become so well known?

13. Belz...

There's plenty in both those movies that's memorable. One does not preclude the other.

14. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

15. USS Excelsior

USS Excelsior Commodore Commodore

They should have used an Indian looking actor to play Khan like last time which would also fit the name.

And apparently there are androids serving on starships in this NuTrek.

16. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

:wtf:

This guy?

[​IMG]

17. Belz...

Like last time ? I wasn't aware Khan had been portrayed by an actor after TWOK.

18. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

30 years from now Quinto's Spock falls into a new alternate universe to become the new old-Spock. Then the new-new Spock gets to die again and Kirk gets to yell "Khaaaan!" in order to be a "clever reversal of Into Darkness." That's the point where endless reboots and homage reaches absurdity. It just becomes this endless ping-pong match that goes nowhere.

19. Belz...

People will find things to pay homage to if they enjoyed it and it sticks. That the old guard doesn't think so is irrelevant.

20. newtontomato539

newtontomato539 Commander Red Shirt

Bad Robot Trek is still being made. Live action Prime Trek is dead.

People enjoy Bad Robot and Prime Trek.

Should Bad Robot Trek be stopped just because it's not Prime Trek?