So who's buying the Playstation Vita?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Tribble puncher, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Tribble puncher

Tribble puncher Captain Captain

Anyone?

Havn't seen much buzz about it other than Taco Bell. I'm probibly gonna pass on it. I played a demo unit at my local gamestop and while it has good graphics, it just seems like more of the same ol same ol. I bought the PSP when it came out last time, and I felt kinda burned by it. Heck, I'm still content with my ds lite. With mobile phone gaming improving by leaps and bounds, I just don't see any kind of Longevity for the Vita. It just feels like a case of too late.

2. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll buy one as soon as they crack it and develop some decent PS2, DC, and GC emulators.

3. Tribble puncher

Tribble puncher Captain Captain

Wow, not too many I guess, I did a search and there were no threads about the vita, so it must really not be generating that much buzz...

4. Saturn0660

Saturn0660 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We got 2 demos units at work... It looks REAL nice. I mean nice. However, everything else about it blows..

5. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

PSP + Pandora Battery > Vita

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Aside from seeing the name on the Taco Bell marquee, I have no idea what this thing even is.

7. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

Now I want some Taco Bell.

8. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Being the massive Persona fan that I am, I'll probably pick it up when Persona 4 comes out on the system. Other than that, I'll wait.

9. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

I'm definitely tempted because of Uncharted: Golden Abyss.

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

No killer apps and a three-hour battery life equals no purchase for me.

11. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I haven't been much of a portable gamer since the GameBoy Color days. I had a GBA SP at one point but didn't use it all that often, and I used my DS Lite even more rarely than that. I doubt I'll ever give the Vita anything more than a cursory look.

12. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

I checked one out at a Gamestop today, and I have to say the hardware is pretty impressive. The thing packs a serious punch. I'm not buying one at launch, since none of the launch games look like they'll grab me (well, the Uncharted game seems pretty interesting) but I'm going to be tempted when the Resistance title comes out. A true FPS with dual stick controls on a powerful portable device could be a nice thing to have when I travel.

13. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

High Price Tag + You need to buy very pricey memory cards + MEH launch lineup (Uncharted doesn't count cause its not Naughtydog)

Nope :p

Also is it just me or does anyone else thumbs hurt after a while on a handheld console, they always feel strained after a while.

14. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

I gotta be honest, in this day and age I just don't see the appeal of a handheld video game console.

My Android phone (Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket, by no means a slouch in the tech spec department) is a much better tool for "entertainment on the go". I can listen to music, watch movies and TV shows, and play games. I can even use a PS3 controller via bluetooth with the sucker.

15. Robert Maxwell

I'm waiting for one of the "big boys" (Nintendo, Sony, MS) to come out with a handheld console that's also a phone, with all the features a smartphone entails. N-gage was a nice idea done in by poor industry support (and I don't know if the handheld itself was any good.)

16. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Sony did that already with the xperia play

17. Robert Maxwell

Yeah, but that's more phone than game console, and I think that's the problem.

18. Kelthaz

Better games. You're not going find games on your Android with the same quality as The Legend of Zelda, Uncharted, or Super Mario Land 3D.

19. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

To be perfectly fair, I don't actually want to play any of those games anyway.

Someone gave me a PSP for Christmas a few years ago.

I got about 30 minutes of use out of it, and it now collects dust under my bed.

20. Kelthaz

Fair enough, but those games are the reason people buy a dedicated gaming handheld. Gamers want a little more than Peggle or Angry Birds.

I'm really surprised Sony didn't make the Vita a phone/gaming console. I know trying to do the jack of all trades thing with the PSP resulted in an epic failure, but the idea itself isn't bad. They did add 3G support, but a phone is a little more important I would think.