Prometheus 2: Apparently it's happening

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by RoJoHen, Mar 25, 2014.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

The first one was completely useless trash that should almost be forgotten. A sequel would work if they did an Alien 3 and just find the ship floating around and the robot and human both dead.

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I loved the first one, and I can't wait to see the sequel! The Engineers are fascinating!

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

My problem with the first one is that is seemed incomplete. It jumped from intriguing mystery to gross horror film so fast I barely had time to register what was going on. It probably could have stood to be about 30 minutes longer than it was to actually flesh out the story.

I admit I liked a little more the second time around because I could pick up on a lot of things I missed, but I still think it was rushed.

5. bigdaddy

I agree. The movie was just not well planned out. Things were not explained. It had a good base, but there was nothing to it, and the movie ended without a third act. It felt like "We were planning a trilogy, but we only really have enough for one film". It's just really a mess of a movie.

6. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My problem with Prometheus was that it was kinda sorta a prequel, but not really.

The actions paralleled what looked like had happened in Alien , but not quite, so they'd have to do it again.

That just seemed lame...

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yeah, there is that. Honestly, it all could have worked if the Engineer had crawled back to his ship and died in the pilot's seat (like how we found him at the beginning of "Alien") instead of dying on Vicker's crashed escape pod.

Also, Vickers. What a complete waste of Charlize Theron. I would have liked it if her character had survived for the sequel so they could actually use her for something.

8. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Hey, looks like I'm gonna save some money. Pass. I can't imagine a sequel to a shitty movie will be any better than the original.

9. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

While I was sadly underwhelmed by the first movie, I did like what it tried to do, so I'll give the second a chance...

10. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I was terribly underwhelmed by the first Prometheus movie, however the fact that Damon Lindelof (who I blame for the lackluster quality of the first movie) is not writing the sequel instills me with a little hope the sequel can actually be good.

11. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

The first film was a massive disappointment with a completely nonsensical script, but was well-acted and beautiful to look at (although most of the cast died, so it's kind of a moot point except for Rapace and Fassbender). I'm hoping if Scott recognizes the mistakes of the first film, he can build on the good things and deliver a much improved sequel. That the chief selling point for the new writer is that he wrote Green Lantern is not a promising sign, but even the best writers usually have some duds, so we'll see. I'm still interested in the concept, and hopefully this time it will tie into the Alien-series even more, rather than being in the same universe but inexplicably keeping its distance from fully embracing its status as a prequel.

12. bigdaddy

Hey now! We are on a Star Trek site after all...

13. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I liked Prometheus more than most, it seems. It's not a perfect movie (it's chief failure is its script, although I think its problems have been exaggerated), but it presented a thoughtful premise with a great cast and terrific production design. Hopefully a sequel will improve upon that base (and keep Scott around as a director).

14. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Prometheus was the most insultingly idiotic movie I've ever seen in cinema in my entire life, and that includes one of Matrix sequels and Revenge Of The Sith. It looked gorgeous and the acting was mostly good (Fassbender was great in it), but the script made no sense and there was no logic behind any of the characters actions.

If Prometheus 2 won't be written by Damon Lindeloff, I might check it out after reading at least two dozen reviews. However, it will still be directed by Ridley Scott, who's not known to pick decent projects for a long time. The last time I liked a movie that was directed by him was the director's cut of Kingdom Of Heaven.

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I found the mystery of the Engineers to be absolutely fascinating, and much more interesting than another Xenomorph jumping out of the air ducts, and I would absolutely love to see Shaw and David make their way to the Engineer Homeworld and see what's there, and why the Engineers changed their minds about humanity.

16. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Whose idea was it to have the action heroin get a C-section, then hop up off the operating table and spend the rest of the movie running and jumping like John McClane? 'cause that was the stupidest thing in a very stupid movie. Well, except for Charleze running away from the falling spaceship and not thinking to turn left or right. And the entire crew deciding they'd be very happy to be kamikazes without any discussion. And....

Hm. Yeah. The whole thing was pretty stupid.

Gingerbread Demon likes this.
  17. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree with this. By the 3rd Aliens film the Xenomorph's were boring. The story behind the engineers is far more compelling. While Prometheus had its problems, IMO it was hardly the worst movie of the year.

We've seen plenty worse last year - e.g. Will Smith's After Earth.

18. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I'm still convinced that the reason a lot of people disliked Prometheus is that they were expecting something that Ridley Scott explicitly said it was never going to be. He's tired of Xenomorphs and wants nothing whatsoever to do with them anymore, which is the whole reason he brought on Lindelof in the first place. I mean, has anyone seen the pre-Lindelof script for Prometheus, by Jon Spaihts? Regardless of what opinions you hold of the final film, the one we were going to get before he was called in was going to be hilariously awful: Imagine the worst kind of pseudo-Star Trek patronizing technobabble clusterfuck, but with the third act being a slasher movie. Everything is spoonfed to the audience and it goes out of its way to wink and nudge to remind people that this is an Alien prequel, guys, we're doing the fuck out of the Alien thing. Also, one of the Space Jockeys was literally Jesus.

For my money, I adore Prometheus and it's in my top three Ridley Scott movies on a good day. I'm not enthralled by the idea of the Green Lantern writer being on the project, but we probably aren't going to get too many more movies out of Sir Ridley, and I'm very glad that he'll return to the Prometheus universe before he's done.

19. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I don't know, the Alien(s)-style xenomorph bas-relief on the temple wall, the bioweapon jars arranged in a similar manner to the xenomorph eggs, the geologist gradually changing into a xenomorph, the giant facehugger, and the modified xenomorph baby at the end are an odd way of showing that he wanted nothing to do with them at all.

I would have been fine with either a true prequel to Alien that focused more on the Xenomorphs or a story that focused entirely on the Engineers, but what we got was sort of a hybrid of those that seemingly couldn't decide what it wanted to be, and so it ended up giving short shrift to both aspects of the story and was unsatisfying as a result (IMO).

I would have much preferred some greater background be given to the society and objectives of the Engineers rather than the utterly ridiculous action sequences we got toward the end. Or to Tweedledum and Tweedledee meandering through the alien ship that the world's most incompetent geologist mapped himself, while the world's worst biologist pets the hostile space cobra with inevitable results. Or to Old Guy Pearce visiting from the set of the LSD-inspired monolith sequence in 2001, complete with terrible 60's-era prosthetic work.

I know they can (and most likely will) greatly expand on the story of the Engineers in the sequel, and I look forward to it, but when you sell the film as telling their story and then don't adequately deliver on that premise; nor do you effectively set up the events in Alien; nor do you make a well-constructed and self-contained story that stands on its own merits, it's more than just disappointment at the lack of more xenomorphs that's the problem.

20. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral