Is this the Enterprise theme that could have been?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by TrekToday, Sep 15, 2013.

1. TrekToday

TrekToday Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It’s no secret that the Enterprise theme tune was not hugely popular, but for quite some time it was rumoured that the theme would in fact be Wherever You Will Go by The Calling. The song was used in promotional adverts on UPN at the time, leading to conjecture that it would also be the […]

More...

2. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Although Braga talks on the Blu-rays about how the theme was "Beautiful Day" by U2 for the longest time. So who knows where this theme would have fit in terms of consideration. (If at all.)

3. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

I am one of the few people who likes the Enterprise opening. That said, having U2 would have been cool. The Calling, not so much.

4. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

Beautiful Day would've been fantastic! This version is okay enough - better than the godawful dreck we got.

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would have DIED. I freaking hate U2.

DIED. DIED. DIED.

Wow. Suddenly grateful. Faith in my GRATEFUL heart.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

EVIL XINDI GUY: At last, the Earth will be destroyed and humanity erdicated! Bwahahaha!

*fadeout*

"It's a beautiful day!" Duh-du-duhh "Don't let it get away..."

Ummm....no.

7. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

...is the correct answer !

8. Isolinear

Isolinear Commander Red Shirt

The "In A Mirror, Darkly" opening was perfect.

9. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This song is way better in terms of the actual music, but the lyrics don't fit the show at all. Faith of the Heart wasn't the best song in the world, but it was appropriate given the content of the opening credits and the hurdles Starfleet had to get over.

10. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That would actually be funny. :lol:

11. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The people who make the promos for a show are not the same people who make the show itself. It's the network's publicity department that would've handled them. So the fact that this song was used in promos does not in any way suggest that the show's makers ever considered using it.

That said, while I've never had a problem with "Faith of the Heart" (at least, not the season 1-2 arrangement), I always did quite like "Wherever You Will Go."

13. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I suspect anything but an insturmental opening would have displeased a portion of the fanbase. I don't mind the song as it does suit the theme of getting to the stars.

But at the end of the day it's the opening credits, ENT had far bigger concerns than the opening credits. I watch a show for the show itself not what music they play during credits.

14. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I believe that "Archer's Theme" was intended to be the main theme for the show, but then the studio wanted a song instead of something insturmental?

15. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

"Wherever You Will Go" is a fine pop song and all, but who the heck would its "you" have referred to in the Trek sense? :confused: I don't believe this theory for a moment. :p

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, TV show themes don't always have literal meaning in the show's context. I doubt that "Who Are You?" or "Baba O'Riley" was meant to be a song about forensic investigation.

17. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well "Who Are You?" asks a question, and in the case of CSI they sometimes have to answer questions like Who was murdered, who was the murderer. So it does kind of work.

But I suspect if ENT had been better scripted, had more rounded characters etc.. that we wouldn't see as many complaints about the theme song. When we are not being suitable enteratined we start to pick apart things about the show, from the major elemts such as characterisation, plot to the more minor elemtns such as theme song/tune.

18. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Granted, but you'll forgive my wanting a bit more coherence for Trek than yet another bleedin' cop show I care nothing about. (And besides, "Who are you?" definitely fits a cop show thematically, and the "Baba O'Riley" lyrics featured in the CSI:NY intro make the song sound like a warrior's mission statement, whereas the whole point of being a space explorer is to blaze a trail, not follow someone close to you.) ;)

19. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

The only problem I have with "Wherever You Will Go" as the Enterprise opening credits song is that it doesn't fit the style of the series.

If Enterprise were done in The WB style, like Smallville or Birds of Prey, then "Wherever You Will Go" would have fit. But as long as the series were written in the ponderous, retro-80s dramatic style that was the way Star Trek was written, "Wherever You Will Go" simply doesn't fit because it promises something the series can't deliver -- being modern and hip. The problem with the franchise a decade ago is that while production values had improved, the storytelling style was still mired in the 1980s. "Wherever You Will Go" would have been a mismatch with Enterprise.

20. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Well, I'm a big fan of Enterprise and I had little problem with "Faith of the Heart" being the theme-- my only problem being the actual phrase "Faith of the Heart," which has zero content and sounds like something compiled by a committee based on the results of a random telephone survey-- but I also love the song "Wherever You Will Go." It has an uplifting feel that resonates with both a quest of exploration and the love story that wound its way through the storyline of the show.