is babylon 5 season 5 worth watching

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by tmosler, Aug 15, 2013.

1. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I think one issue is that for the people who watched S5 when it originally aired we didn't have the benefit of immediately moving to the next episode...we had to wait at least a week. Any show with a weak run of episode (and I'd argue the first chunk of S5 isn't B5 at its height) will face the same conundrum...it's one thing to see it on DVD or what-not and be able to jump right through to the next episode; quite another to have to wait and hope for improvement...especially if it's airing for the first time so you don't even have the benefit of the advice of people who've already seen it.

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I think the Angelina Jolie Movie Changeling was pretty awesome. He wrote a screenplay for World War Z, but, that got rewritten because it wasn't "Commercial enough" was too similar to the book, but, I'll bet many who didn't like the adaptation that was filmed would've preferreed JMS' Screenplay much more.

3. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Seconded. She made a much better impression on me in one season than Ivanova & Franklin managed in two. Don't get me wrong, I love those guys, but IMO they didn't get really interesting until season 3.

4. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Season 5 is good. It has its weak points (like byron), but its still a good season. I had some rather severe problems with certain things

The fate of my favorite character, Londo, still infuriates me when I think about it

but overall it was a good season of a great show. It doesn't have any spectacularly bad episodes from what I remember (although considering the fact that Season 4 ended with the worst episode of a Sci Fi show that I've ever seen, The Deconstruction of Falling Stars, its possible that it has some stinkers that just get over shadowed in my mind by that pile of garbage). The telepath arc is somewhat lame, but it doesn't ruin the season. If you liked the first 4 seasons, season 5 is a must watch.

5. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

Loved Jeremiah! Second season had some issues, but the first is a fun ride. I never would have thought I would have enjoyed Luke Perry so much in a role.

I know I know, getting a little off topic here.

6. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

100% yes. If you haven't seen The Fall of Centauri Prime and Sleeping in Light then you haven't seen Babylon 5. Contrary to what some might say, it's only the first half of the season that's lacklustre. The second half is rather excellent. Even the first half has some good episodes.

Oh, and the opening credits/theme music are great.

7. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

To the OP: If you have the option of doing so, start Season 5 immediately after watching Rising Star. The Deconstruction of Falling Stars is much better viewed as the last episode of Season 5 - and the series proper itself - than as the last episode of Season 4.

8. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Deconstruction of Falling Stars is my favourite episode of the show. Dunno why anybody should delay watching it.

9. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I like "Deconstruction..." and it sets up a scene (and alludes to other events) that occur during S5.

10. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

There's nothing wrong with the episode; it just doesn't really fit as the Season 4 finale.

11. DalekJim

Disagree, but even if it were true that would hardly matter on a DVD marathon.

12. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

But, then you lose out on assuming who the Red head is in the scene in DoFS with Garibaldi being held Hostage

13. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

If you thought seasons 1-4 were worth watching, then it's worth it to see the fifth season.

I think it makes some serious missteps, and the fidelity to the one year per season formula excludes getting to some more interesting plot developments that are only alluded to, but it still has its moments. The finale is superb.

14. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

In Season Five I only thought there were four excellent episodes (All My Dreams, Movements, Fate CPrime, Sleeping Light). The rest were average to terrible. Well, "Kingdom Blind" was good.

15. kirk55555

If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell myself to delay watching it forever :rommie:

16. DalekJim

Wow, didn't know it was so hated.

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I find Deconstruction to be pretty average. Not good, not bad. Just kinda there. It has some cool ideas, but the execution is so-so. And the Orwellian thing is so badly written and over the top. And it's so lame that the Garibaldi computer program is able to hack their systems and do so much damage in the five minutes he's active. Please. And the news program interviews were lame as well. The only really cool part was the ending with the Future Human and it was all too brief.

18. kirk55555

Yeah, when I was watching B5, I raged about it in the thread I had here about the show. I found the post I made about it

The Deconstruction of FallingStars - I hated 95% of this episode. The only good part was the very beginning, with Londo talking about how marriages in his culture are somber affairs (and after seeing his wives earlier, I get why he thinks that) :rommie: The rest of this episode generally made me want to jump off a cliff, especially after the 500 year mark. I don't want to post a huge rant, so here's what I thought of the various sections.

100+ Annoying, boring, but delen was ok :borg: Seeing the near future (from the normal show timeline) clip of Garibaldi held hostage by telepaths ticked me off.

500+ More propaganda, and even worse then ISN (Good facts?) Shoot me now. :brickwall: Also, we know know B5 gets destroyed around 2282 (480 years before this segment of the episode). Thats just great.

1000+ Screw JMS. They revert earth to pre-spaceflight and turn the B5 crew into myths/religious features? This seriously makes the future Londo stuff seem like a good idea. I'm oficially pretending this didn't happen. :censored: I haven't seen something this stupid in a long time. I could spend an hour ranting about how horrible this is.

1,000,000+ Humans = Vorlons. Also, I'm pretty sure the sun has billions of years, not a million, before it goes nova :vulcan:

Overall this was a horrible episode. I think this was actually worse than Illusion of Truth, and beats it as the worst B5 episode so far.

Also, I almost forgot about Illusion of Truth (I've tried to surpess my memories of IoT and TDoFS, but as soon as I hear the titles it all comes rushing back :rommie: ). As much as I liked the main story of season four, when it was bad it was horrible. The season overall was good, but it really got on my nerves at times (there have never been meeker, stupider humans in a sci fi series than the earth civilians and 90% of Earth military in B5). To this day I don't count TDoFS as cannon to the show in my mind. If I did, the series would almost be ruined by what it did.

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

The sun went nova prematurely because their enemy was detonating it. It's in the episode. The computer voice gives a warning about abnormal readings or some such.

20. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

^Also, my understanding is that the sun is not massive enough to go nova except by artificial means.

I got the impression that an outside force had given Garibaldi's program the extra abilities.